So I "accidentally" jacked Solaire of Astora

#1 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (661 posts) -

Long story short:

- Was invaded.

- Got poisoned.

- Got angry/overzealous.

- Chased invader back across the bridge with the Helkite Drake (I'd already killed the drake)

- Invader cuddled up to Solaire.

- A pannicky swing of the drake sword pissed Solaire off.

- Booked it back across the bridge to get away from Solaire.

- Resigned myself to death.

- Was not aware that NPC forgiveness was possible through Oswald.

- Figured it wasn't a good idea to leave an aggro NPC hanging around, so went back and tearfully put Solaire out of his misery.

I guess I got some okay gear from Solaire, but how fucked am I?

#2 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

Not played Dark Souls in a while, but I'm sure he isn't really important. I killed him for his shield or armor or something.

Also

He turns hollow or something later in the game, around the area your killing the massive headless dragons.

#3 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

Long story short:

- Was invaded.

- Got poisoned.

- Got angry/overzealous.

- Chased invader back across the bridge with the Helkite Drake (I'd already killed the drake)

- Invader cuddled up to Solaire.

- A pannicky swing of the drake sword pissed Solaire off.

- Booked it back across the bridge to get away from Solaire.

- Resigned myself to death.

- Was not aware that NPC forgiveness was possible through Oswald.

- Figured it wasn't a good idea to leave an aggro NPC hanging around, so went back and tearfully put Solaire out of his misery.

I guess I got some okay gear from Solaire, but how fucked am I?

He helps for a few bosses. But you can all ways calls in a player.   

Also who ever was the pansy who cuddled to him is a massive dick. 

@haffy said:

Not played Dark Souls in a while, but I'm sure he isn't really important. I killed him for his shield or armor or something.

Also

He turns hollow or something later in the game, around the area your killing the massive headless dragons.

#4 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -

Technically, you're not fucked at all and you'll be fine.

But omg, you bastard, you killed sunbro.

#5 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Not very fucked. Aside from being unable to summon him for certain bosses, you can't complete Solaire's quest line in that playthrough. Granted following his quest could have given you that maggot helm that emits light or join his covenant, but you're far from fucked. Still, like Pessh said, you killed sunbro, bro.

#6 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

How could you do it? There will be no more jolly co-operation for Solaire :(

Neither will he ever be grossly incandescent like the sun.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

RIP Sunbro.

#8 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2954 posts) -

Not at all. You can just get your intelligence up to get the Light spell if the Sunlight maggot is now unavailable, and Solaire's equipment is shockingly good with a little upgrading. I ended up finishing the game using his sword, shield and chestplate.

#9 Edited by MuttersomeTaxicab (661 posts) -

Thanks for all the quick responses everyone!

@The_Laughing_Man said:

It was kinda weird. They just threw some kind of poison cloud thing down. I didn't realize what it was until it was too late. I got in a bunch of solid hits with the drake sword and pyromancy, but I get the feeling they were significantly higher level than I was. Never once did they do any further attacks and seemed to be able to tank anything else I had to throw at them. In the end, I had to hand it to them for a clever mode of attack, but it is still my fault for not just pulling back or disconnecting once I realized what they were trying to do. Wasn't keen on dropping my connection, though, it's just not my style. The damage was done, so I just saluted and let the poison take me.

@Pessh said:

Technically, you're not fucked at all and you'll be fine. But omg, you bastard, you killed sunbro.

I know! He was the only NPC I've encountered (short of the blacksmith near Undead Parish) that seemed at least kinda friendly in a surreal sort of way.

@TwilitEnd656 said:

Not very fucked. Aside from being unable to summon him for certain bosses, you can't complete Solaire's quest line in that playthrough. Granted following his quest could have given you that maggot helm that emits light or join his covenant, but you're far from fucked. Still, like Pessh said, you killed sunbro, bro.

Good to know he'll be back on my second playthrough. Plus, don't you need a shit ton of faith to join his covenant? I'm still around 8. I haven't heard of this maggot helm, though.

@Grissefar said:

Knowing that someone put that video together actually makes me a little more okay with killing off Solaire. Still laughing at the ending.

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Not at all. You can just get your intelligence up to get the Light spell if the Sunlight maggot is now unavailable, and Solaire's equipment is shockingly good with a little upgrading. I ended up finishing the game using his sword, shield and chestplate.

Good to know. I've been really tentative on upgrading equipment. I think I need to work on some endurance before I can wear his suit without that awful top-heavy roll, but I'll give his equipment its day in titanite court and see how things go. The only thing I've been confident about upgrading so far is the Winged Spear.

#10 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

You need 50 faith to join his covenant, but he doesn't need to be alive for you to do it. (minus 5 faith for every time you help somebody kill a boss in co-op)

The only useful thing you miss if you kill him is the sunlight maggot (although he can be a big help for certain bosses) , but if you manage to keep him alive for that part (theres a very specific way to do it, involving the chaos covenant) you can summon him for the final boss, but since the last boss is so easy, it's no big deal.

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

Thanks for all the quick responses everyone!

@The_Laughing_Man said:

It was kinda weird. They just threw some kind of poison cloud thing down. I didn't realize what it was until it was too late. I got in a bunch of solid hits with the drake sword and pyromancy, but I get the feeling they were significantly higher level than I was. Never once did they do any further attacks and seemed to be able to tank anything else I had to throw at them. In the end, I had to hand it to them for a clever mode of attack, but it is still my fault for not just pulling back or disconnecting once I realized what they were trying to do. Wasn't keen on dropping my connection, though, it's just not my style. The damage was done, so I just saluted and let the poison take me.

@Pessh said:

Technically, you're not fucked at all and you'll be fine. But omg, you bastard, you killed sunbro.

I know! He was the only NPC I've encountered (short of the blacksmith near Undead Parish) that seemed at least kinda friendly in a surreal sort of way.

@TwilitEnd656 said:

Good to know he'll be back on my second playthrough. Plus, don't you need a shit ton of faith to join his covenant? I'm still around 8. I haven't heard of this maggot helm, though.

@Grissefar said:

Knowing that someone put that video together actually makes me a little more okay with killing off Solaire. Still laughing at the ending.

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Good to know. I've been really tentative on upgrading equipment. I think I need to work on some endurance before I can wear his suit without that awful top-heavy roll, but I'll give his equipment its day in titanite court and see how things go. The only thing I've been confident about upgrading so far is the Winged Spear.

Ive dropped once of twice. The first time was because they dude was teleporting around and was able to get back stabs when he was infront of me.  

As for the cloud thats pyromanc. @Canteu said:

You need 50 faith to join his covenant, but he doesn't need to be alive for you to do it. (minus 5 faith for every time you help somebody kill a boss in co-op)

The only useful thing you miss if you kill him is the sunlight maggot (although he can be a big help for certain bosses) , but if you manage to keep him alive for that part (theres a very specific way to do it, involving the chaos covenant) you can summon him for the final boss, but since the last boss is so easy, it's no big deal.

The faith amount goes down the more you help other people beat bosses. The amount was changed in the last past to 25. 
#12 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: sorry, my info is out of date. s ranked this pre patch and havn't played since. Man, it sounds like theyve made this game a lot easier.

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Canteu said:

@The_Laughing_Man: sorry, my info is out of date. s ranked this pre patch and havn't played since. Man, it sounds like theyve made this game a lot easier.

Changing the faith need for ONE thing is making it easy? They have nerfed quite a few armours and weapons as well. 
#14 Posted by Nux (2220 posts) -

All he wanted was the sun and you killed him. I hope your happy.

#15 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: sorry I didnt explain. I went and looked at the changes, and I mean overall all the things they've changed seem to have made it a lot easier.

#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@MuttersomeTaxicab:
#17 Posted by Asinies (35 posts) -

Not really fucked, his armor may be beneficial early on actually. I forget whether killing him prevents you from joining his covenant, though I doubt it.

#18 Posted by OtherworldOdd (21 posts) -

I jacked Oswald after ringing the bell. I thought he was a statue and just took a swing. -.-. He doesn't even give you anything good.

The other day I also lost the lightning spear. I was fighting the mimic and fell down the elevator shaft like the dumbass I am... only he followed me. -.-.

#19 Posted by Chippy180 (155 posts) -

What a douche invader, This is a modern day Shakespearean tragedy :(

#20 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (661 posts) -

@OtherworldOdd said:

I jacked Oswald after ringing the bell. I thought he was a statue and just took a swing. -.-. He doesn't even give you anything good.

The other day I also lost the lightning spear. I was fighting the mimic and fell down the elevator shaft like the dumbass I am... only he followed me. -.-.

Oh man. That would absolutely break my heart. Also, apparently mimics have some kind of rare headgear drop that turns your head into a chest? Anyone found one of those?

@Chippy180 said:

What a douche invader, This is a modern day Shakespearean tragedy :(

I still have a twang of regret every time I walk past Solaire's spot on the Helkite battlements. Working on getting my END up high enough so I can wear his armour. Then maybe I can stare at the magnificent father and endorse some form of jolly co-operation.

#21 Posted by StrainedEyes (1313 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

@OtherworldOdd said:

Oh man. That would absolutely break my heart. Also, apparently mimics have some kind of rare headgear drop that turns your head into a chest? Anyone found one of those?

Yes, I actually got this during my first playthrough with my second character. I also got a burlap sack headpiece from the butcher guy in the Depths. I think they must have increased the drop rate for a lot of that stuff in the last patch, I got almost all of the unique drops in one playthrough (with the item find increase ring equipped).

#22 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -

I love that Soliare video. Makes me laugh every time. Jolly!

#23 Posted by Draugen (577 posts) -

You killed sunbro?! You know, I've stared down the gaping maw of a dragon made almost entirely out of teeth, but I am no longer sure who the real monster is.

#24 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

You killed sunbro? D: Restart your game right now.

#25 Posted by slantedwindows (273 posts) -

YOU KILLED HIM? now he won't be able to suggest that you might be gay later on in the game. :(

#26 Posted by LookItsPineapple (31 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

Also, apparently mimics have some kind of rare headgear drop that turns your head into a chest? Anyone found one of those?

It is a VERY rare drop, and not all the mimics will drop it, although off the top of my head (haHA!) I can't think of which one you have to get it from. It increases your item discovery by an additional 200 but is constantly draining your health while equipped, and will kill you (I believe).

#27 Posted by Turambar (6492 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@MuttersomeTaxicab:
#28 Posted by Oni (2069 posts) -

I did a similar thing to OP's invader, except I tricked a forest defender into attacking one of his NPC homies, making all the guys hostile to him and betraying his covenant. His own dumb fault and I have zero regrets!

#29 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (661 posts) -

@Draugen said:

You killed sunbro?! You know, I've stared down the gaping maw of a dragon made almost entirely out of teeth, but I am no longer sure who the real monster is.

At least I'm wearing his armour and engaging in jolly co-operation to kill Sif!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.