So you guys weren't kidding about this port being bad...

#1 Edited by granderojo (1792 posts) -

Even with the 'fix' installed, everything about this port seems to be worse. The menus look and sound like garbage, yes even the sound is bad. And on top of that whenever I try to launch my character it runs the short 2 minute cutscene that is unskippable but then crashes EVERYTIME right after the cutscene.

As someone who put a crap load of hours into the game but stopped playing it in anticipation of the PC port this is rather disappointing. :(

Has the guy who's been putting out the DSfix been doing it regularly?

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

What are you on about? It's the exact same as the console versions, but you can make it a higher res.

#3 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

we must of bought different games then as its looks almost identical to the PS3 version just smoother on my PC and that without the mod

#4 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

The only issues are the locked framerate and 720pness.

The problems you're having are on your end.

#5 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -
#6 Posted by Lysergica33 (542 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

The only issues are the locked framerate and 720pness. The problems you're having are on your end.

Yep. This. Most people seem to have had very few issues with the game itself aside from the aforementioned issues, which have now been not just fixed but improved upon greatly. We can now replace textures, render the game at a high resolution and downscale it for a smoother, crisper image, play at 60fps with a good enough machine (which has some caveats, in all fairness...) add SSAO, SSAA, AF and AA with one's GPU control panel... With DSFix, calling it a bad port is just silly. Sure, these should've been implemented directly into the game rather than implemented by outside sources, but ultimately, we get to experience Dark Souls in high-definition glory. I've heard of no-one else having these issues but you. So.. Hm.

#7 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@thabigred: Did you read the README and adjust the settings as recommended? Have you tried running the game without the fix?

I'm uninstalling the fix now. Apparently it worked for my friend. This is still depressing.

#8 Posted by krazy_kyle (715 posts) -

Sounds like a problem with you and not the game, so to speak.

#9 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

Look guys, I really REALLY enjoyed Dark Souls last year. I also have a really nice PC, so seeing a game that could run at 120 FPS be locked at 30, and for the game to crash if my monitor is set to 120hz is depressing.

Apparently it wasn't just the DS fix causing the crash. I have to also lower my monitor resolution to 60hz in order to play the game.

This is depressing to me. I can't run this game to the best of it's ability because the DS fix is not compatible with my computer for whatever inane reason. :(

#10 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

Uh, I have no idea honestly what you're talking about. The game plays just fine on the PC, and any graphical hang-ups you have is personal, not general.

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@CL60 said:

What are you on about? It's the exact same as the console versions, but you can make it a higher res.

That's pretty bad considering the higher standard of PC ports these days, though. It's not 2008 anymore.

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@MikkaQ said:

@CL60 said:

That's pretty bad considering the higher standard of PC ports these days, though. It's not 2008 anymore.

If I remember correctly, it was ported by the same company which did the Silent Hill HD collections. It's a "count your blessings" situation.

Yeah I get that viewpoint for sure. It's a terrible port but it gives more people a chance to play a unique game, so it kinda neutralizes out in my opinion.

But yeah PC ports have been getting so good that I don't want devs to be getting any bad ideas and thinking it's okay to bring games over like this. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

#13 Posted by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

Sounds issues? Never happened to me

#14 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

You have to rename the folder that has the movies. It's a common bug with DSfix. The movies are the intro and the scrolling credits. You're not missing anything by disabling them. If you haven't watched the intro, just double click it in the folder. It's a WMV file.

And yes this port is fucked up. But not in the ways you're describing.

#15 Posted by Mystyr_E (1195 posts) -

I can't even get mine to run. It used to but even clean installs with complete deletion of everything to do with Dark Souls on PC, it either crashes after my monitor flickers, crashes immediately or no window even pops up at all. Waste of money. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.