Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Steam Pre-load now available

perdido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By perdido

Just a heads up the pre load is up on Steam now, and the file size is only 3.7 Gb.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Joeyoe31

Doesn't it come out in like 2 hours?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jozzy

Yeah, I am almost done with the download. Apparently opens in 8 hours or so?

The game is number 2 on the top sellers list, behind counter strike, that seems pretty surprising to me. Hope PC gamers like the game as much as I do, even if the port could've been a ot better.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By roland_d11
    @Perdido: What region are you in? It is still listed as Dark Souls Pre-Order in my Steam list. I live in Germany.
    perdido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By perdido

@Roland_D11: Sorry should have mentioned in the NA region CST (-6 GMT) time zone

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joeyoe31
    @Perdido

@Roland_D11: Sorry should have mentioned in the NA region CST (-6 GMT) time zone

Do you know when the game is coming out EST? Would like to know when/how long I need to hide myself so that I don't last minute buy.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jozzy

Someone on Neogaf claims to already have modded a higher than 1024x768 native resolution

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488088&page=15

Next up people will improve the actual textures for added visual prowess. I have my doubt about the framerate being moddable, but we will see.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Hope this game does well on PC.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joeyoe31
    @jozzy

Someone on Neogaf claims to already have modded a higher than 1024x768 native resolution

Next up people will improve the actual textures for added visual prowess. I have my doubt about the framerate being moddable, but we will see.

I saw a couple of post around the Internet that all you have to do is edit a text file to force a different resolution. Most PC games can do that.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By OldGuy

@Joeyoe31 said:

@jozzy

I saw a couple of post around the Internet that all you have to do is edit a text file to force a different resolution. Most PC games can do that.

Mod a text file to change the resolution in the renderer? (cough)bullshit(cough) To change the output resolution, sure, but that is (by all reports) available in game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaggE

Less than four giggle-bytes? Not bad. I was expecting around five or six. My slow connection says thanks.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@jozzy said:

That's crazy. And it's a significant jump up visually as well. It took this guy 23 minutes and yet From couldn't manage at all? What the hell? Surely they have friends over at Capcom or somewhere who could have walked them through that. Say what you will about their output lately, but the PC ports of MT Framework Capcom games have mostly been stellar ever since RE5. Clearly it's not the entirety of Japanese development that has an issue.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jozzy

@OldGuy said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

@jozzy

Mod a text file to change the resolution in the renderer? (cough)bullshit(cough) To change the output resolution, sure, but that is (by all reports) available in game.

Yeah, I think in this case it is a little more eleborate than that, but what do I know. I mean, yes you can change the resolution but in the case of this game it's just upscaling the 1024x768 image to that higher resolution.

Anyway, the thing I am still dubious about is the impact on the game should you use this mod. This guy apparently got it working in a very short time, I can't believe From didn't try that. There must be some reason why they chose to stay with the 1024x768 solution. Maybe some parts of the game look extremely bad in higher native resolutions or you get weird graphical glitches or something.

We'll know soon enough how significant this thing will be.

EDIT: This is how the game looks in the resolution I use (without mods), 1920 x 1080: http://youtu.be/i-hRBSqpx4o?hd=1. Doesn't look bad to me.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn

I guess the pre-load is only for people who bought it on Steam. I just got my key from GreenManGaming but I can't preload.

Well, nevermind, though. I'll download it in a matter of minutes anyway :P

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OldGuy

@jozzy said:

@OldGuy said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

@jozzy

Yeah, I think in this case it is a little more eleborate than that, but what do I know. I mean, yes you can change the resolution but in the case of this game it's just upscaling the 1024x768 image to that higher resolution.

Anyway, the thing I am still dubious about is the impact on the game should you use this mod. This guy apparently got it working in a very short time, I can't believe From didn't try that. There must be some reason why they chose to stay with the 1024x768 solution. Maybe some parts of the game look extremely bad in higher native resolutions or you get weird graphical glitches or something.

We'll know soon enough how significant this thing will be.

EDIT: This is how the game looks in the resolution I use (without mods), 1920 x 1080: http://youtu.be/i-hRBSqpx4o?hd=1. Doesn't look bad to me.

From skimming the thread on Gaf it would seem that this is a wrapper .exe (much like some of the Skyrim mods) that does some sort of voodoo magic. So it's more than a text file... we'll see what we see when he lets it run wild (in a few hours, he claims)...

perdido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By perdido

@Joeyoe31: Steam say approximately 6hrs, but that could mean anything.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jozzy

Did the availability of the game just jumped a couple of hours for anyone else? Went from 6 to 13 hours. Ugh...

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sign

@jozzy: Yeah, it now says the game is out in 12 hours on August 24th for me.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By valrog

It makes me wonder how he did it. I hope he shares that with From, for future reference and all. And that this gets released as an official patch (You know, for people who don't go to internet forums like we do, so they might have no idea about this).

Now if only this wasn't restricted in my country... Goddamn GFWL.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn

It's still 4 hours for me here in Spain.

*crosses fingers*

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By roland_d11

I can see the benefit of allowing a higher resolution. But the frame rate? I think the combat is designed for 30 fps and it works very well. Unlocking this could be bad for the gameplay. But, we will see.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jozzy

@valrog said:

It makes me wonder how he did it. I hope he shares that with From, for future reference and all. And that this gets released as an official patch (You know, for people who don't go to internet forums like we do, so they might have no idea about this).

I have real problems believing From didn't know this was possible. Let's first see if this actually works across the game without weird glitches, crashes or really ugly textures in some areas before praising it too much.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By valrog

@jozzy said:

@valrog said:

I have real problems believing From didn't know this was possible. Let's first see if this actually works across the game without weird glitches, crashes or really ugly textures in some areas before praising it too much.

I'm closesly watching that thread. So far it doesn't seem to cause any problems when running at higher resolutions. Hopefully it stays that way.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jozzy

Now we are back to less than one hour, hope it will actually unlock at that time. Very likely GFWL will be the next hurdle to cross :)

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuCTR

The Store page is implying it's out. It says play now. but, uhh, I still only have the pre order in my library... uh dafaq?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Terramagi

GFWL strikes again.

"Oh you guys are just acting entitled, there's nothing wrong with GFWL."

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jozzy

@Terramagi said:

GFWL strikes again.

"Oh you guys are just acting entitled, there's nothing wrong with GFWL."

I am playing the game through GFWL as we speak, so...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.