Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Strategy for taking down Stone Knight in Undead Burg

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xxizzypop

I found the easiest way to take down Havel, the knight made of stone with the large club behind the locked door in the Taurus Demon's tower is to unequip all of your armour. Early on in the game, he's going to one shot you regardless, so it's best to get to the floor above him, heal up and undress.

(As a side note, I actually managed to shake off a hit from him without armour on while I had the Blue Tearstone Ring equipped, something that never happened while fully decked out.)

Lure him up a level from where he starts so that you can safely recover your bloodstain if you die, and then just prepare to dodge. Launching an offensive against him is risky, so stick to a very defensive mindset. His swings are a bit delayed from when he pulls back. He'll hitch up due to the weight. Refrain from dodging for just a brief moment when he readies, then roll, get around him and use the backstab. Even with the drake sword it takes about five or six of these, unless you manage to land a few regular blows in between.

I'm not sure if anyone really needs this strategy at this point, but I thought I'd try and help out anyone who was having trouble with him. He does drop the fairly useful Havel's Ring that increases your equip load by a fairly significant amount.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

There's an easier way to kick his ass. Lure him up to the entrance to the staircase (where you first encounter the locked door that leads down to him). Try to get him outside to attack, dodge, then attack and back away. He'll head back inside the tower. Head inside to lure him back out. Repeat until he's dead.

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Hooded

I found him easy, I just circled him to the right, blocked his attack then went in for a backstab. Took about 5 backstabs and he died. Granted... I did hold off on this fight until I knew I would be strong enough to fight him, I could of fought him alot sooner.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jozzy

Me and Havel died at the same time so I never got the ring....

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Hooded said:

I found him easy, I just circled him to the right, blocked his attack then went in for a backstab. Took about 5 backstabs and he died. Granted... I did hold off on this fight until I knew I would be strong enough to fight him, I could of fought him alot sooner.

Same, he is really slow especially after those huge swings so backstabs are easy. I kept the shield up at all times just in case, to not get 1 shot.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I cast Magic Shield and it couldn't even touch me after that, so I started throwing Soul Arrows at it until it died.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nadril

I just killed him normally. His attacks are super fucking slow.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis

I took him on before Taurus demon, 20 backstabs it took. I don't know why I didn't just come back later.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xxizzypop

I just had a huge problem with him early on. I was having trouble dodging him, both because I wasn't comprehending when his attacks were actually going to land, and I was just over-encumbered. What my encounter with him taught me was sometimes, less armour is a better way to go.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By huntad

It's pretty cool seeing how everyone beat him in different ways. I would run out of the door right next to him which would reset him, then I would come back in and dodge his attack and backstab him. Then I would run out and do it again.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brad

I stripped naked to fight this guy after I got the drake sword, but unfortunately that basically allows him to one-shot me if he connects. Having trouble getting the timing of my rolls down. I think I'm rolling too early and he's still able to adjust his aim toward where I'm going to be, not where I was.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxizzypop

@Bradsaid:

I stripped naked to fight this guy after I got the drake sword, but unfortunately that basically allows him to one-shot me if he connects. Having trouble getting the timing of my rolls down. I think I'm rolling too early and he's still able to adjust his aim toward where I'm going to be, not where I was.

He'll one-shot you regardless of the armour, or so I've found. You've got to sit back and draw out his swings. Don't roll when he pulls the club back, but about a half-second after, when you see him lurch.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Brad: If you're patient, you can wait for him to use his dashing attack, it's the easiest way to get a backstab on him. If I recall, he tends to jump back before doing this, or he assumes a unique pose, so keep an eye out for that and circle him. It's also smart to fight him one level above where he waits for you so if you die you can get the souls back easily.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Turambar
    @Brad said:

You don't really have to roll.  Simply stay a far enough distance from him with a spear equipped should let you step back and to the side out of the way, then run in for a pin prick.  Should be doable with the drake sword too, but its safer with a spear.

Also good to hear that you're giving the game a shot.  How are you liking it so far?
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#15  Edited By ImperiousRix

Wait, where is this guy? I'm on the outskirts of the Undead Parish (towards the entrance of Sen's Fortress).

What is it he drops and what level do you recommend taking him on at?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MezZa

@Brad:

You shouldn't need to roll. If you get as close as you possibly can to him (I'm talking pretty much rubbing your naked body on him) you should be able to circle strafe around him fast enough to dodge his attacks. When you're further away you're putting yourself in the most likely position to be hit because the circle path to get around him is larger. If you feel you're going to get hit then put your shield up or roll, but that shouldn't happen often. Strafing around him this close also sets you up perfectly to backstab him after he tries to bash you. Backstabbing with the drake sword should finish him off fast. If you have firebombs you can also speed it up by throwing a firebomb when he's picking himself off the ground after the backstab.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Gabriel

My Strategy for beating him was to be level 45 and have the Eagle shield which blocks 100% damage and Raw Halbred 2.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MezZa

@ImperiousRix:

He's in the tower that leads to the Taurus demon. There's a locked door there that goes down. He drops Havel's ring which increases the amount of weight you can equip. I beat him after doing the gargoyles, but he's pretty easily doable as soon as you can get the drake sword. Any other weapon that early other than the drake sword will take a long time though.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Rayeth

#1 Pro tip for this guy, come back later unless you really need that ring.

If you wait a bit and come back with some Pyromancy you can LOL all over him. Combustion specifically. He can still 1 shot you or very nearly so, but if you continuously circle-strafe him none of his attacks will connect. Then right after his swing hit him with the Combustion. Great Combustion is even better. Such an easy way to get him down. Also since Pyromancy doesn't care at all about Int or Faith or any stat really, you can do this with pretty much anyone.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xxizzypop

@Rayeth: I found myself in huge need of that ring though. I like to roll with some heavy armor, but the mobility handicap is just too much for my play style. It came down to me either not being as protected as I'd like versus not carrying the arsenal that I needed. And that ring solves all my problems :3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.