Stuck on Fatboy and Slim

#1 Edited by Elerigo (101 posts) -

So I'm at Ornstein and Smough with a lvl 12 thief showing a Lightning Estoc +3 and I am having a hard as fuck time.

Edit: Yes this is also partly bragging.

#2 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

A level 12 thief? That's pretty impressive, but also probably your issue.

In my opinion 2nd form Smough is easier than SSJ4 Ornstein, so get Ornstein down first.

How to get them down? Well, if you are alone then you will need to keep running and let Ornstein chase you. Get your damage in, then run when Smough arrives.

If you can't seem to get this done, get backup. But when I think about it, you probably won't get any backup at your soullevel?

I'm out of ideas.

#3 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Drake and Josh suck. The lowest I've ever beaten them was at SL18 and I found some phantoms to summon, so maybe you'll get lucky. If you have Pyromancy, Iron Flesh is a pretty useful spell to help tank yourself.

#4 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

If you're in human form you can summon Solaire in the big hall before the boss fight. Your SL is very low in relation to most people in that area so there's no worry about invasions. And yeah, get rid of Ornstein first since then get Smough. Wouldn't hurt to upgrade your armour and weapons too.

#5 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

get a different weapon to take down ornstein, he has massive lightning resist.  the lightning estoc will take down smough pretty fast though since that is his weakness.  I actually found second phase ornstein easier to deal with than smough's second phase because i find it hard to avoid his rushing attack and you can't really block it because of the extra lightning damage he does.  While ornstein second phase you can basically run under him and avoid his attacks..... then when he tries to stomp you with his but you only need to back away for a few seconds.    Also orstein's lightning impale is fairly easy to avoid by rolling into ornstein himself.

#6 Posted by Jimbo (9863 posts) -

Use your new weapon, weapon of choice.

#7 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

If you're in human form you can summon Solaire in the big hall before the boss fight. Your SL is very low in relation to most people in that area so there's no worry about invasions. And yeah, get rid of Ornstein first since then get Smough. Wouldn't hurt to upgrade your armour and weapons too.

#8 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

use the pillars.

as long as you keep a pillar between you and smough, he won't be able to hit you and you can just dance around him and poke him to death with your estoc after he attempts an attack and misses. you'll never get hit.

dealing with ornstein is also a lot easier as long as you remember to always keep a pillar between you and smough. smough can swing through them, but he can't charge through them.

#9 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Oh Bulk and Skull. You guys were such a pain in the ass.

First concentrate on Smough, his biggest weakness is lightning weapons so he'll go down pretty fast but make sure to memorize Ornstein's attack patterns or he'll mess you up with his dash attack. Secondly, you'll get to the ultimate Ornstein from(that is if you killed Smough first). At range, he'll only throw lightning bolts at you. Make sure to use the pillars as cover. Try to cheese him with poison arrows but I guess that'll take too long. The most dangerous tactic for a player at your soul level is hit-and-attacks. Be careful, if you stuck too close to him he'll do his ass slam attack which will seriously eff you up.

#10 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

MegazordOrnstein is a really easy boss.

Go for the FatMan first; he's relatively easy to isolate and take down between the two and his attack pattern can exploited to get 4-6 attacks in before Ornstein can touch you. Afterwards, Ornstein will try to throw lightning at you full screen, strafing to counterclockwise immediately after the startup of the lightning = never hit by the lightning (at a any range that isn't in front of his fucking spear). Then you can exploit his attacks by being directly in front of his legs - he'll either do the butt stomp which is avoided by one backstep roll and you can re-engage without worrying, he'll doing his basic jab attack that can be avoided by walking into his legs, he'll doing a backstep and poke that you can follow and avoid entirely, or he'll do the lightning impale where you HAVE to either be behind him when he's stabbing or right next to his legs.

That's an easy way to get in followed by four easy patterns to learn. He's super duper easy to beat.

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@SirOptimusPrime said:

MegazordOrnstein is a really easy boss.

Go for the FatMan first; he's relatively easy to isolate and take down between the two and his attack pattern can exploited to get 4-6 attacks in before Ornstein can touch you. Afterwards, Ornstein will try to throw lightning at you full screen, strafing to counterclockwise immediately after the startup of the lightning = never hit by the lightning (at a any range that isn't in front of his fucking spear). Then you can exploit his attacks by being directly in front of his legs - he'll either do the butt stomp which is avoided by one backstep roll and you can re-engage without worrying, he'll doing his basic jab attack that can be avoided by walking into his legs, he'll doing a backstep and poke that you can follow and avoid entirely, or he'll do the lightning impale where you HAVE to either be behind him when he's stabbing or right next to his legs.

That's an easy way to get in followed by four easy patterns to learn. He's super duper easy to beat.

Also. He doesnt understand the concept of being kited. Get a crap ton of arrows and kite him if you really need to. 
#12 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

I'm just going to pretend that Dark Souls has two bosses named Fatboy and Slim, if that's okay with all of you.

#13 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Lol, really? I'm melee, so I didn't really try arrows on him. One more reason that I think people writing the FAQs for this game are a little extreme when they lose to something once one way. I still laugh whenever I read that Ornstein in super Saiyan form is really hard.

#14 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Lol, really? I'm melee, so I didn't really try arrows on him. One more reason that I think people writing the FAQs for this game are a little extreme when they lose to something once one way. I still laugh whenever I read that Ornstein in super Saiyan form is really hard.

he gets harder once you fight in NG++ and beyond. till then hes still a joke.

#15 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

@McShank: Yeah, but that's how Demon's worked (for the most part). It's just really funny that people thought he was hard on NG and they were writing guides.

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@SirOptimusPrime said:

I wanted  Ornstein  armour but people all ways kill him first. Its real annoying. 
#17 Posted by MysteriousFawx (384 posts) -

Amazing Chest Ahead

#18 Posted by Humanity (9579 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Depending on your build he can be pretty challenging. I barely put any points into vitality so when I fought him, some of his attacks would literally one shot me. I wouldn't say he's a joke, probably the most challenging boss in the game because of his damage output and relative mobility.

#19 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Crystal ring shield against thinny. Pyro blast fatty.

#20 Posted by LOZZAT (252 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Use your new weapon, weapon of choice.

You found the long-sought flying Christopher Walken?

#21 Posted by Killroycantkill (1415 posts) -

The only way I could beat those guys was to summon someone in. He just mowed them down for me. But remember whichever one you kill last is the soul you get and armor you'll be able to buy later.

#22 Edited by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

Fatboy Slim you say? Try using the weapon of choice!

Edit: damn it see i was beat to it!

#23 Posted by MrMuscle (447 posts) -

I think im gonna have to bite the bullet and summon someone today cuz ive been banging my head against this fight the entire weekend.

#24 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

I wanted Ornstein armour but people all ways kill him first. Its real annoying.

I know right. I shrug then point up like ten times to tell them kill fatty first but they still do it. usually I gotta summon the same person twice and then they get the idea.

#25 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Kenan and Kel*

#26 Posted by gerrid (345 posts) -

Firebombs. Use firebombs.

#27 Posted by GodsMistakeXx (134 posts) -

Oprah and Gayle gave me a bit of trouble as well, I just summoned Soltaire and some dude and took out Gayle first. Oprah wasn't so tough once you learned the pattern.

#28 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Fatboy Slim?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.