Suggestions for crazy Path of the Dragon RP Build

#1 Posted by MikeLemmer (548 posts) -

I want to play Dark Souls again as a Path of the Dragon adherent who hates those who killed the dragons long ago. Any suggestions how I should do that?

  • Go Path of the Dragon ASAP, use the Dragon Head & Dragon Torso stones as often as possible. Try to use Dragon Torso unarmed attacks & Dragon Head fire breaths whenever possible.
  • Kill the gods and anyone aligned with the gods or the other dragonkillers. (I believe that'll prevent me from learning Miracles, Sorceries, and Pyromancies... unless using Sorcery/Pyromancy would be alright for a dragon adherent in the lore?)

Here's what I'm wondering:

  1. What starting class should I do?
  2. What NPCs should I spare?
  3. What weapons/items/spells should I focus on?
#2 Edited by Savage (321 posts) -

1. Before deciding on your starting class, I think it's best to decide what Soul Level you want your character to reach and what your important stats will be at that level. After doing that, you can decide which class has starting stats with no points allocated wastefully.

2. This is pretty open to lore/roleplaying interpretation. I guess you might want to kill everyone aligned with Gwyn, since they warred against the ancient dragons. Priscilla is an interesting case, since she's a partial descendant of the dragons, so depending on how you interpret that, you may want to spare her or eradicate her.

3. Some Dragon-oriented ideas: Dragon Bone Fist, Dragon Greatsword, Dragon King Greataxe, Dragon Bone Tooth, and most fire Pyromancy in general.

#3 Edited by Turambar (6734 posts) -

@mikelemmer said:

I want to play Dark Souls again as a Path of the Dragon adherent who hates those who killed the dragons long ago. Any suggestions how I should do that?

  • Go Path of the Dragon ASAP, use the Dragon Head & Dragon Torso stones as often as possible. Try to use Dragon Torso unarmed attacks & Dragon Head fire breaths whenever possible.
  • Kill the gods and anyone aligned with the gods or the other dragonkillers. (I believe that'll prevent me from learning Miracles, Sorceries, and Pyromancies... unless using Sorcery/Pyromancy would be alright for a dragon adherent in the lore?)

Here's what I'm wondering:

  1. What starting class should I do?
  2. What NPCs should I spare?
  3. What weapons/items/spells should I focus on?

Lore wise, there would be nothing preventing your character from shunning sorcery or pyromancy. Sorcery was never utilized during the war against the everlasting dragons, and pyromancy was not developed until well after the flame has begun to dim. You may be forced to not utilize any crystal sorceries, since that was a product of Seath's research though.

Edit: Outland miracles such as Tranquil Walk of Peace and Emit Force are probably fine as well, since they don't have any relations with the Way of White.

#4 Edited by Spoonman671 (4595 posts) -

@turambar said:

@mikelemmer said:

I want to play Dark Souls again as a Path of the Dragon adherent who hates those who killed the dragons long ago. Any suggestions how I should do that?

  • Go Path of the Dragon ASAP, use the Dragon Head & Dragon Torso stones as often as possible. Try to use Dragon Torso unarmed attacks & Dragon Head fire breaths whenever possible.
  • Kill the gods and anyone aligned with the gods or the other dragonkillers. (I believe that'll prevent me from learning Miracles, Sorceries, and Pyromancies... unless using Sorcery/Pyromancy would be alright for a dragon adherent in the lore?)

Here's what I'm wondering:

  1. What starting class should I do?
  2. What NPCs should I spare?
  3. What weapons/items/spells should I focus on?

Lore wise, there would be nothing preventing your character from shunning sorcery or pyromancy. Sorcery was never utilized during the war against the everlasting dragons, and pyromancy was not developed until well after the flame has begun to dim. You may be forced to not utilize any crystal sorceries, since that was a product of Seath's research though.

Edit: Outland miracles such as Tranquil Walk of Peace and Emit Force are probably fine as well, since they don't have any relations with the Way of White.

I disagree with this point, based on the fact the Witches of Izalith were actually sorcery users. I also feel it is likely that Seath used sorcery in his betrayal of the dragons. I think pyromancies are safe to learn, but I'm not sure whether or not you should learn them from Quelana, who was aligned with Izalith, or Eingyi, who is a follower of the Daughter of Chaos. Fire also just goes good with dragon-y stuff.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Nito's "miasma" could be considered a relative of the Poison/Toxic Mist pyromancies. Something to think about.

#5 Edited by MikeLemmer (548 posts) -

@spoonman671:

I figured Sorcery would be out since Seath the Betrayer fathered it, and Pyromancy would be out because the Witches developed it.

As for stats, since eventually I won't be wearing any armor & using non-scaling unarmed attacks, Str & Dex won't be much use. Int & Faith won't be useful without Miracles & Sorceries. Endurance will be less useful w/o armor. That leaves Vitality, Resistance *snerk*, and Attunement.

I figure I'll max Vitality first, then Resistance & Endurance evenly. Best starting class for me looks like either a Pyromancer or a Knight. Still not sure what armor/weapons/spells I'll use to get through the early game, though.

#6 Edited by Turambar (6734 posts) -

@spoonman671 said:

@turambar said:

@mikelemmer said:

I want to play Dark Souls again as a Path of the Dragon adherent who hates those who killed the dragons long ago. Any suggestions how I should do that?

  • Go Path of the Dragon ASAP, use the Dragon Head & Dragon Torso stones as often as possible. Try to use Dragon Torso unarmed attacks & Dragon Head fire breaths whenever possible.
  • Kill the gods and anyone aligned with the gods or the other dragonkillers. (I believe that'll prevent me from learning Miracles, Sorceries, and Pyromancies... unless using Sorcery/Pyromancy would be alright for a dragon adherent in the lore?)

Here's what I'm wondering:

  1. What starting class should I do?
  2. What NPCs should I spare?
  3. What weapons/items/spells should I focus on?

Lore wise, there would be nothing preventing your character from shunning sorcery or pyromancy. Sorcery was never utilized during the war against the everlasting dragons, and pyromancy was not developed until well after the flame has begun to dim. You may be forced to not utilize any crystal sorceries, since that was a product of Seath's research though.

Edit: Outland miracles such as Tranquil Walk of Peace and Emit Force are probably fine as well, since they don't have any relations with the Way of White.

I disagree with this point, based on the fact the Witches of Izalith were actually sorcery users. I also feel it is likely that Seath used sorcery in his betrayal of the dragons. I think pyromancies are safe to learn, but I'm not sure whether or not you should learn them from Quelana, who was aligned with Izalith, or Eingyi, who is a follower of the Daughter of Chaos. Fire also just goes good with dragon-y stuff.

I'd say fire sorcery is a bit of a different thing from the soul arts within the game, since there is nothing to indicate sorcery was taught to humans by the gods. Seath definitely didn't use sorcery against his brethren during the war since he began carrying out research on crystals only after becoming a duke. Crystal sorceries are a combination of Seath's research and Logan's existing knowledge.

As far as who to learn pyromancy from, remember that almost all of Laurentius's pyromancies ultimately originate with Salaman, who in turn was a student of Quelana. Depending on how picky you want to be, you might end up just limiting it to the pyromancies of Carmina: iron flesh, flash sweat, and power within.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6734 posts) -

@spoonman671:

I figured Sorcery would be out since Seath the Betrayer fathered it, and Pyromancy would be out because the Witches developed it.

As for stats, since eventually I won't be wearing any armor & using non-scaling unarmed attacks, Str & Dex won't be much use. Int & Faith won't be useful without Miracles & Sorceries. Endurance will be less useful w/o armor. That leaves Vitality, Resistance *snerk*, and Attunement.

I figure I'll max Vitality first, then Resistance & Endurance evenly. Best starting class for me looks like either a Pyromancer or a Knight. Still not sure what armor/weapons/spells I'll use to get through the early game, though.

Sorceries and pyromancies originating from the abyss might work, even thematically in an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of way.

#8 Edited by MikeLemmer (548 posts) -

Alright, I've decided to go Bandit class with the Master Key as a starting gift so I can sequence break & reach the Ash Lake early. After some more research, I've decided to get Str high (to use various dragon weapons), then focus on Vit/End. Time to see how that goes...

I hope to focus on the Dragon Bone Fist & Dragon Greatsword. Not sure yet whether I'll invest in Pyromancy at all, though.

#9 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1763 posts) -

@mikelemmer said:

Alright, I've decided to go Bandit class with the Master Key as a starting gift so I can sequence break & reach the Ash Lake early. After some more research, I've decided to get Str high (to use various dragon weapons), then focus on Vit/End. Time to see how that goes...

I hope to focus on the Dragon Bone Fist & Dragon Greatsword. Not sure yet whether I'll invest in Pyromancy at all, though.

Ins't using Dragon Weapons for your build like trying to avenge you're dead family by using their arms as clubs?

#11 Edited by MikeLemmer (548 posts) -

@mikelemmer said:

Alright, I've decided to go Bandit class with the Master Key as a starting gift so I can sequence break & reach the Ash Lake early. After some more research, I've decided to get Str high (to use various dragon weapons), then focus on Vit/End. Time to see how that goes...

I hope to focus on the Dragon Bone Fist & Dragon Greatsword. Not sure yet whether I'll invest in Pyromancy at all, though.

Ins't using Dragon Weapons for your build like trying to avenge you're dead family by using their arms as clubs?

More like their bones as clubs & their teeth as daggers.

Face it, if you could get revenge for your family by stabbing the villain through the eye with your father's tooth, you would. Because it'd be awesome.

Also, the Ash Lake dragon is totally fine with you cutting off its tail. Honest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.