Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Teh Upgrades?!

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

I'm still a little confused as to how the upgrade system for Dark Souls work. I've gotten a shard here and there and I can upgrade a weapon to +1 (12 hours in) but I'm not sure if its a waste or not. Upgrading a regular spear seems silly. Why does anyone not just upgrade the Drake Sword? It doesn't scale but its base states are pretty good until late game.

The Dark Souls wiki page is pretty uninformative to the uninitiated. I need certain shards to upgrade certain weapons? How do I tell the difference between a raw weapon and something else? Its easy to see a Drake Sword is a special sword so I guess its magic? Why would I ever downgrade a weapon?

Before I have mental breakdown, where is a good guide for this? Should I just start upgrading my winged spear?! Argh!

sanBASHi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sanBASHi
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Zombieheadbutt said:

I'm still a little confused as to how the upgrade system for Dark Souls work. I've gotten a shard here and there and I can upgrade a weapon to +1 (12 hours in) but I'm not sure if its a waste or not. Upgrading a regular spear seems silly. Why does anyone not just upgrade the Drake Sword? It doesn't scale but its base states are pretty good until late game.

The Dark Souls wiki page is pretty uninformative to the uninitiated. I need certain shards to upgrade certain weapons? How do I tell the difference between a raw weapon and something else? Its easy to see a Drake Sword is a special sword so I guess its magic? Why would I ever downgrade a weapon?

Before I have mental breakdown, where is a good guide for this? Should I just start upgrading my winged spear?! Argh!

Raw weapon will say Raw in the name. Raw weapons tend to do more base damamge but have poorer scaling to stats (those letters at the bottom).
    Drake sword is not magic. If you look on the weapon stats they break down what type of dammage does the weapon do. The first one is always plain physical damamge.
    You downgrade a weapon when you decide that the upgrade path you took is not what you now want for that weapon but don't want to start upgrading a new one from scratch.
    AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AyKay_47

Quick bits of advice:

1) Do not waste any resources upgrading the drake sword. It's nothing but an early game crutch.

2) Aim for eventually making a Lightning + 5 weapon. Use whatever base weapon you like the feel of (as long as it can actually be upped to Lightning)

3) You'll find a couple of upgraded weapons down the line. You can downgrade them to Weapon + 10 or + 5 and upgrade it to something else.

4) Definitely use the links up above, especially the second, and familiarize yourself with that upgrade tree/chart thing

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

After a bit more poking around and looking through those links I've finally got a remedial grasp on how the weapon system works. The only question I have left is why are there negative values in the stats on some weapons in the column that is usually used to tally ParaBonus? A shield I have right now has a -68 in the second column. I can't for the life of me figure out how that is possible since the weapon itself has a STR ParaBonus of C and a DEX Para Bonus of C. How does it tally a negative number?

Thanks for all the help guys. Up until now the fun of Dark Souls has been exploration and the challenge of it! Now I can add min maxing to the list. :)

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Zombieheadbutt said:

After a bit more poking around and looking through those links I've finally got a remedial grasp on how the weapon system works. The only question I have left is why are there negative values in the stats on some weapons in the column that is usually used to tally ParaBonus? A shield I have right now has a -68 in the second column. I can't for the life of me figure out how that is possible since the weapon itself has a STR ParaBonus of C and a DEX Para Bonus of C. How does it tally a negative number?

Thanks for all the help guys. Up until now the fun of Dark Souls has been exploration and the challenge of it! Now I can add min maxing to the list. :)

You are not fulfilling the minimum requirements, most likely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.