Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Thank god every new area I enter is worse than the last

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bcjohnnie

So I hate that every post I make is complaining about this game, but fuck this game. Lost Izalith is my latest personal hell... I was able to clear out the first few dinosaur-whatever these are supposed to be things, but that was basically through cheesing them with arrows. Now I can't do that anymore, and melee is the worst thing ever against these things. The frame rate seems to drop to 5 per second or some shit, and I can only see the fucking thing's foot anyway, so I have no idea when it might attack.

LET ALONE the fucking fact that this entire level seems to be designed specifically to rape my goddamn eyesight to hell. This is fucking bullshit... again. These are the parts of this game that are horrible, and the designer of these bullshit levels should be shot in the fucking face.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mars

Dude ... xanax. But I do feel your pain.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I'm not looking forward to the later levels. I'm almost there though.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By musclerider

I wanted to put my fist through my TV going through The Tomb of the Giants but then I got to Lost Izalith...

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By fishmicmuffin

If you don't want tips then don't read this post. Otherwise, read on:

Get to the building with two stories. There is a hidden bonfire on the lower level, just try attacking each of the 4 outer walls and one of them will give way and reveal a bonfire. Once you've rested, piss off as many pairs of the legs as you can. Kite them all back to the building and get inside to the top level. Laugh while all of the disembodied pairs of legs kill each other by jumping up and down.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar

get to +2 Servants of Chaos covenant
    open Lost Izalith Short cut
    Never deal with the undead dragons nor lava down below
    Profit

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Turambar
    @musclerider said:

I wanted to put my fist through my TV going through The Tomb of the Giants but then I got to Lost Izalith...

Tomb of Giants: Get call light.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

It does worry me that as I progress, the hellishness of the levels is going to get a bit unbearable. The last level that I actually felt somewhat comfortable with was Darkroot Garden, but having just entered finished the Depths and dipping my toes into Blighttown... yep I think fun time is over.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Stop playing the game.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@SethPhotopoulos: It's not that easy. Once Dark Souls has it's hook into you there is no escaping. No matter what it puts you through.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bcjohnnie

Thanks for the tips... I don't want to stopplaying because over half of this game is still very compelling, but god damn these stupid levels are the worst... Izalith, Blighttown, and Tomb of the Giants should be shot out the airlock along with anyone who even considered making them. Got to the second bonfire, almost all of those fuckers are dead now. Not looking forward to this.

@Turambar: Those egg dudes creep me out. Is that the only way to avoid Solaire getting "buggy" later? I saw something about a shortcut...

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rudyftw

After many seconds of reflection, I have determined that Dark Souls is a horrible game. Everyone on this site seems to be going bat-shit crazy with this game....

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru

I'm taking it slow (also dividing my time over multiple characters) so when the time comes my sword, and my fire, will be ready.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awe_stuck

Im gonna rent it..

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar
    @bcjohnnie said:

Thanks for the tips... I don't want to stopplaying because over half of this game is still very compelling, but god damn these stupid levels are the worst... Izalith, Blighttown, and Tomb of the Giants should be shot out the airlock along with anyone who even considered making them. Got to the second bonfire, almost all of those fuckers are dead now. Not looking forward to this.

@Turambar: Those egg dudes creep me out. Is that the only way to avoid Solaire getting "buggy" later? I saw something about a shortcut...

The way to save Solaire is to speak to him after beating the centipede, run back to the entrance before the firesage (asylum demon reskin), and go right through the open wall.  Down below is the corridor leading to the short cut.  Make sure you kill all 9 bugs in the room before entering Izalith, and solaire should be safe on the other side.  If you don't, he will have found his "sun" on the other side.  If you go through the front entrance, you will find him with his sun right before the room to the boss.
    bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bcjohnnie

Whatever, fuck this game. I know there are people who just get through this, but as far as I'm concerned this game is fucking designed so that you will need a guide or some shit. Bed of Chaos is just as much bullshit as the rest of this stupid fucking area, so I shouldn't be surprised. Gives you no time to assess the situation, so basically just kill yourself until you stumble onto a strategy?

This is so fucking disappointing, because most of the areas and bosses are actually intuitive, then they just throw in bullshit because it's supposed to be "hard"... fuck these developers in the mouth.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bcjohnnie

@CaLe: My issues are largely under control when I'm not playing bullshit levels in this game. My anger is largely based on the fact that I feel like I'm getting good at this game, but then it decides to make me play levels that are inherently unfair and unbalanced. Also, maybe if you're building a game, you figure out how to cap the draw distance so that the frame rate is more than 5 per second during big battles. Just sayin.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@CaLe said:

You have anger issues.

This. Seriously, just take a break if you're feeling the game is unfair. I did, right after getting owned 50 times by the two archers in anor londo. I took a break after raging, came back after a few hours and I passed it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MiniPato

I was about ready to punch out with this area too, but persevere and you will find a way through. One on one, these guys aren't so bad. So the trick is to lure them out one by one. They also hurt eachother, so use that to your advantage. They'll usually do sweep kicks that hit one another, so they usually kill eachother, if not weaken eachother significantly. So even if you attract two of them, chances are one of them will either get killed by the other one or lose interest leaving you with a one on one battle. Gauge your distance and sphere of attraction so you can manipulate them into a one on one fight. Protip, hide in one of the rooms in the middle of the lava, the one with the treasure chest. After a while of hiding in the room and luring each one to the entrance of the room, I was able to learn their patterns. They can't get into the rooms and get stuck at the entrance, so if you can get them to do the body slam, that leaves you a couple seconds to get a heavy attack or two in on it. But if you learn their attack patterns you can dispatch them fairly easily. Basically if you stand in front of them, they will stomp at you with their right foot, you know, the three stomp that usually depletes your stamina or kills you if you aren't blocking. If you stand directly beneath them they will do one of two things, they might do the body slam or they might stomp both their feet. The stomping is easy to dodge, but the body slam you will have to run or try to block. But they are still both easy attacks to dodge. But what you want to do is you want to be directly under them and wail on their left foot. Whatever you do, do not stand in front of them or else they will do the three stomp or worse, the leg sweep ( which is something you only want if there are other dinosaur dudes around.) Also there is a bonfire at the second building in the lava lake which you can take refuge in, you just have to get past an illusory wall. The dinosaurs don't respawn either, so dying isn't an issue as long as you can reclaim your souls. You're technically always making progress if you manage to kill at least one of them.

This was an area that I felt was truly impossible, more so than the Anor Londo double archer area. But then I cleaned house of all those dinosaur things once I learned their attack patterns and was taking them out one by one with ease. This was one of those Demon's/Dark Souls moments where I felt like I accomplished something and overcame something with skill. I still think the Anor Londo archer area is the worst area and poor level design and impossible for the sake of being impossible because that part is still dependent on luck I find and I did not have any fun overcoming it because I had to rely on phantoms to provide assistance and usually as cannon fodder for the archers unfortunately.

I will agree that this part was hell on the eyes and someone needed a talking to when deciding the brightness of the lava.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperWristBands

Get and or use Iron Flesh. Use it a lot. I killed those legs by using Iron Flesh to take very little damage and stabbing at their feet while they aren't jumping. You will run out of charges for it and either have to die or go back to the bonfire, but they do not respawn so it's okay. Iron Flesh can also help a lot on bosses as it will allow you to go two-handed and wail on bosses and then just heal when you need it. Be aware that you move slowly and cannot roll so do not use it on fast bosses like Sif (though you wouldn't need it anyway).

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Nadril

That area took a while but it was mostly me killing one or two, dying, respawning and moving on.  

The boss in that area though is just fucking obnoxious. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.