Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

The Furtive Pygmy ( or Jim ) where is it ???????????? *spoilers*

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By envane

Ok starting a discussion on this in a seperate thread as its more lore related .

lots of people have been wondering just who or what the furtive pygmy mentioned in the intro is , the last of the "lords" that were born.

My theory is that he is the Bed of Chaos boss , as the little thing you kill in the center of it looks like some kind of curled up maggot person , thats close enough to a pygmy for dark souls .. so that could be it

the confusion here is that the boss is in Lost Izalith , and also "missing" is Quelana the Witch of Izalith ,, not to be confused with the daughter of chaos you fight outside the bed of chaos room

but who is the bed of chaos .. is it Quelana or the Pygmy ,, Quelana also is close to Quelaag , so mabye she became corrupted and became a spider .. but that lowers her a bit from her "lord" status

frankly i love the mysterious nature of the lore but i hate to think that some of it just got lost in translation...

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By envane

@LordXavierBritish: hehe yeah i almost added that at the end , and it makes alot of sense .. but is almost too contrived to be possible .. for dark souls that is

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Chop
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Chop said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Impossible. He is a man and your character doesn't have to be.

I'm pretty sure they never specify a gender for him.

Either way he either is him or a descendant, that is the only way the story makes sense.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spoonman671
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Chop

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Chop said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Impossible. He is a man and your character doesn't have to be.

I'm pretty sure they never specify a gender for him. Either way he either is him or a descendant, that is the only way the story makes sense.

He's clearly a man when they show him. I'll agree with your other angle though.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By envane

ITS PATCHES

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@envane: They explain what the bed of chaos is in the game. Its not the Pygmy. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/the-bed-of-chaos

the most popular theory right now is that your just a descendant of the pygmy, because instead of drawing on the power of the Lord soul he had he drew it from darkness. Creating the undead I believe, and the giant snake people ( what kingseeker frampt is) had told some prophecy that eventually an undead would come to kill Gwyn and become the Dark Lord of Man. So now all undead are branded with the darksign and tossed away because Gwyn does not want that prophecy to come true.

That story was all put together by a bunch of people reading from item descriptions, and what NPCs had told them.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aegon

I thought ever since the intro was released that YOU could be pygmy. That would be weird though. 

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By envane

@thehuntsmen5434: i see ... so quelana got in trouble for duping souls , and that was the result .. ok

ok then the pygmy descendant theory is interesting but also weird

one thing i noticed in the intro is the woman that is tending to your corpse when it mentiosn the darksign , she seems to be anastacia of astora , and she seems really bummed that i revived her

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai

I really hated how they showed a bunch of badass characters and set them up as MURDER THESE PEOPLE and you only really fought nito.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By envane

and uhh gwyn

and seath .. hehe

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By SuperWristBands

So far all the info on the Pygmy has been pretty sketchy. Especially the belief that it is the Player Character. I tend to stay away from the theories the internet is concocting right now because too many of them sound like total BS logic leaps or people who are being awesome and trying to create "Shen Long" moments that people take as fact without thinking about it.

I've heard BS about the pygmy being the leader of a secret covenant only accessible by having 50+ humanity and talking to Priscilla. As well as a third ending that was already debunked featuring the pygmy that required the player to beat the game without entering any covenants.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Jeffsekai: I think it shows how interesting their world can be because they didn't just sit on thrones waiting to be killed. They all were different, and they changed as did the world around them. Be nice if they explained that better though.

Somehow people love "discovering" the story, but dont find it odd that 4-5 sentence descriptions are somehow carved into each item of what they are. Somehow picking them up immediately lets you know what it is. I just want NPCs to explain it. The mystery nonsense is annoying. I'll admit its intriguing, but once some new games come out (batman) I won't care anymore. And when people ask me what the story of Dark Souls is I'll tell them I don't know.

Mortrialus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mortrialus

@Jeffsekai:

You fight Nito,

Bed of Chaos (Izalith) and Quelaag one of her Daughters of Chaos

Gwyn

and Seath.

So you fight all of them except the Pygmy.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@SuperWristBands:Yea I've even heard stories that if your humanity is high enough NPC's will join you, and you can form your own covenant. So annoying.

Or that whole saving Great wolf Sif. BS also.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Mortrialus: Yea, and Four Kings was in there because Gwyn split a lord soul among them all. So it technically counted for the Lordvassel thing.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SuperWristBands

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

@SuperWristBands:Yea I've even heard stories that if your humanity is high enough NPC's will join you, and you can form your own covenant. So annoying.

Or that whole saving Great wolf Sif. BS also.

Yeah, totally forgot about those ones. I remember the wikia had it in it's description for the boss fight that you have an option to kill Sif or let it run away or something. It seems crazy looking back at that. I wonder how much time was spent and frustration was exerted by the people who read this as fact. I didn't even know it was a lie until after the wikia crossed it out as Sif was the one of the last bosses I fought and it was corrected by the time I went to fight it.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By white

Sif is the pet dog of Artorias.

FUMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FUMN

@SuperWristBands: I HAD 99 HUMANITY THROUGH THE MAJORITY OF THE LATER GAME. IT DOESNT DO SHIT, AT A CERTAIN POINT THE GAME IS ALL LIKE "FOOL YOU BE CHEATING", AND IT DOESNT GIVE ANY GOOD DEF STATS. THERE AINT NO SECRET COVENANT. IT IS TOTALLY A SHENG LONG THING. TRUST ME. I KNOW. IM FROM THE INTERNET.

MAYBE THE PYGMY WAS ACTUALLY JUST FORGOTTEN, AND THAT WAS THE POINT. OR MAYBE YOU ARE THE PYGMY AND ALL THE BOSSES WERE NORMAL SIZED, AND THE BIG BOOB LADY WAS NORMAL SIZE. MAYBE THE FINAL BOSS WAS THE PYGMY. ITS POSSIBLE. MAYBE THIS WAS JUST LITERALLY A THROW LOGIC OUT AND LETS MAKE A GAME. THE STORY WAS BATSHIT INSANE FROM WHAT I GOT, AND I DIDNT WATCH THE INTRO VIDEO BECAUSE I WAS ALL LIKE BORED N SHIT.

I ALSO THOUGHT THAT THE FOUR KINGS WERE THE HEROES AND I WHOOPED THEIR ASS LIKE BATMAN.

I SERIOUSLY THINK THAT THE PYGMY WAS JUST FORGOTTEN, LIKE THE INTRO MOVIE SAID.

ON A SIDE NOTE I JUST DANCED WITH MY COUSIN WHO IS 20 YEARS OLDER THEN ME AND SHE GOT TOTALLY TOO CLOSE BECAUSE SHE WAS DRUNK AND I THINK I TOUCHED HER BOOB BECAUSE SHE MOANED. THATS JUST A THEORY THO.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME HAVE A WONDERFUL EVENING.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By envane

im still dead set on it being patches

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By white

@FUMN said:

... AND THE BIG BOOB LADY... TOUCHED HER BOOB...

Uh.... Tell me more... More....

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuCTR

How could you be the descendant of the Pygmy? Undead never die, just turn hollow, and since you seem pretty good at not doing that why not just have it be you?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By shirogane

It doesn't really help that the pendant thing that supposedly links to the pygmy, has the WRONG ITEM DESCRIPTION!!!

No really, look at it, then look at the sunlight medal.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mason

Possibly more rumors and wild speculation but...

What I kept piecing together from the wiki and its forums is if you finish the game with the pendant and stay completely out of the affairs of covenants (i.e. never join one) then you unlock the purpose of the pendant and get the true ending. Which supposedly involves revealing that the Pygmy, really IS the player.

Apparently he had wiped his own memory so he wouldn't remember his part in the events of the opening movie. The word is he's the one who first discovered the "fire" and gave it to Nito, Izalith & Gwyn, giving them power of gods and setting the events in motion.

So the whole no covenants thing would make sense if all of these covenants are antithetical to the pygmy's true purpose, and that he'd be betraying something if he went with one of them.

If so, I'm bummed. I have the pendant, and wasn't interested in covenants really, but I joined Way of White at the start, just because "why not?".

As for the pygmy appearing male in the opening movie, chalk it up to a Mass Effect thing where they mostly showed the male Shepard in promos because, hey, you have to show someone. I wouldn't take his vaguely male shape as evidence. You can tell they tried to make him androgynous, but in the end it ends up looking male anyway.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By supamon

I just want to know what I have to do with the pendant.

I finished the game and still have no inkling at all on what the pendant does. Makes me wonder whether the director of Dark Souls (Hidetaka Miyazaki) was trolling us when he recommended picking the pendant or nothing at all for your first play through.

I'm fine when they make things cryptic, at least its a clue but with the pendant, it just sits in your inventory with the wrong description and the Pygmy isn't even acknowledged at all in the game.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SuperWristBands

@mason: I've read someone has already finished the game without joining any covenants with the purpose of discovering a third ending. Nothing was found. Sadly it was a discussion page on a wiki and I cannot find it again (and to be fair, it could be someone messing with people, but I think by this point, if there was a third ending we would know by now since it has been out for a while in Japan and has even been out long enough for people to have beaten the game multiple times in North America)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.