Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

The Geography of Lordran

mdnthrvst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mdnthrvst

Is the most batshit thing I've ever encountered in any form of fiction. Imagine this: 

- Your home base is at the bottom of a castle, which itself is at the bottom of a GIGANTIC CITY OF CASTLES, though it is also above another half-dozen castles, terraced downwards for miles and miles. However, *all* of these goddamn castles lie above a vast expanse of fog or clouds, sort of like Final Fantasy 9.

- The time of day changes depending on where you are -  walking through a building will turn late afternoon into midnight, though walking back reverts you to daylight.

- The foundation of the entire world is a massive forest of Yggdrasil trees that lie in an infinitely large ocean.

- The fiery pit of Hell is the most normal-looking locale in the game.

- Everything is right next to each other, and opening a door can lead you to what you thought was someplace five miles away.

I haven't even finished the game, either. What do you think?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By musclerider

Huh. Did think that the world looks a lot bigger than it actually is. I'm spending too much time trying to dominate everything in Lordran to pay any attention to geography.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Maajin

Yeah, the scale and layout of the place is crazy, but I think they do a pretty good job at connecting and making transitions between places. For instance, when you reach the bonfire above the blacksmith in Undead Parish, you start to see the forest coming up.

Also, I may be terribly wrong, but I found the heights and distances between connected places to be pretty believable. I never opened a door in Blighttown and found myself in Anor Londo, for instance.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MiniPato

The downloadable map shows the geography and orientation of all the locales, save for Anor Londo and the Undead Asylum. It makes you realize how small and contained the explorable world is compared to the rest of it.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands

@mdnthrvst said:

- The time of day changes depending on where you are - walking through a building will turn late afternoon into midnight, though walking back reverts you to daylight.

I think this can fall under game logic, it seems weird but they'd have to make a system for time flow or just make the whole thing day time (or night time) which is also strange.

- The foundation of the entire world is a massive forest of Yggdrasil trees that lie in an infinitely large ocean.

I don't know why but I find the endless ocean thing to be very frightening. First time I got to the base of the Great Hollow I was very uneasy at the idea of this being what is under the world. Probably because there is so much to explore but there is very likely a lot of Hydra's in those waters and no way to travel through the water.

It also kinda reminds me of the end of MGS2 where Raiden is fighting off all those Rex's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.