Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Those curse frogs in the depths are terrifying!

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By yoshimitz707

I don't think I've ever seen something that freaky in a game. Especially those eyes! And it doesn't help that they can curse you to half health until you can heal it. Anyways, I'm wondering does the quality of the monster design stay this high throughout the game? Because it's been really great so far.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Any pics?

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By subyman

Oh my god, I know those damn frogs are horrible. They have cute features such as big eyes, large mouth, etc but something about them is really off and it makes them very spooky. Combine that with me getting cursed out of nowhere and having to grind souls to get the purging stone... Just their croaking in the Depths makes me scared now.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maajin

Man, I fell right into their "nest" through one of the holes in those narrow corridors. I think I've never been so terrified in a game.

And I thought the last world of Demon's Souls was disgusting.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Compared to the rest of the enemies in the game, they're definitely very disconcerting. Never found them to be trouble to deal with, though.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By McShank

For the most part, the enemies stay pretty cool looking. Each area has new things along with some of the lower level cannon fodder.

legionvsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By legionvsninja

My first encounter with the frogs did not go well. I discovered them after defeating the Rat King. I was strutting down a side tunnel when *poof*, I fell down an unseen shaft. I got on my feet, brushed the crap off of my pants, and then a pair of these bug-eyed freaks jumped me spewing their accursed fumes all around me. I could barely see what was going on much less do anything to get away or defend myself. A moment later I respawned in Undead Burg, cursed and clueless. I rolled into the fetal position and muttered over and over, "They can't get me here." My girlfriend got home from work twenty minutes later, brought me some cookies and milk, and told me everything was going to be alright.

What does she know of the evils I have seen?

The cookies were pretty good, by the way.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By rubberluffy

I thought I was being pretty careful but one misstep and I ended up down one of the frog pits.  I very quickly opened my menu and used a homeward bone right as one started breathing the curse breath on me.   That place is terrible.  But I was safe.  For now.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

I found a ring that increases curse resistance somewhere before going into those sewers, so they were kinda pushovers because of that.
    But yeah they're kinda freaky looking.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By shirogane

Yeah..those things are freaky as hell, i've never died to them though, i was using the drake sword at that point, and pretty much one hit them. I spent a while framing them, since they drop decent souls, but they started to freak me out too much. They're just as bad when they're dead and ragdolling around.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mrsignerman44

Every time I fell down that hole in the depths I was practically crying my eyes out. Those things freaked me the fuck out! They are actually really easy to kill but they really startled me. I was so relieved when I found that shortcut that lets you skip them completely :)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MezZa

They're some of the coolest looking enemies I've seen in a game in awhile. They're really easy to kill if you can lure them out of a group though (like everything else in the game, i guess). Even the ones in the trap hole can be lured out if you don't accidentally fall down that hole.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrCandleguy

Does anyone know that they other cursed statues things in the sewers are other players that have been cursed? With this games online it wouldn't surprise me.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MezZa

@MrCandleguy: Pretty sure that's what it is. Kind of amusing because I saw 5 of them in just a couple seconds when I was down there the first time.

Rexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rexicon

I dunno about y'all but I'm a big fan of Manta Ray-Frogs my self.

RainbowRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RainbowRaccoon

Pics or they don't exist.

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By McDunkin

Yes... frogs...

I will never open another treasure chest again.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By rjaylee

You thought the frogs were terrifying? Just wait until you get to the end of the level in the Depths.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nohthink

I don't know... That giant rat was pretty disgusting, in my opinion

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire sewer area had me holding my shield up and slowly walking down corridors. I was tense and the atmosphere was not helping. Then I fell in to the hole and holy crap did I freak out. They weren't even hard to kill but I got that area done with as soon as possible, it was unsettling.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rave

I love that The statues in their nests are actually players that have died to them in other worlds cool to see the statues spawning in around you knowing they are other playera

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By artelinarose

@Rave said:

I love that The statues in their nests are actually players that have died to them in other worlds cool to see the statues spawning in around you knowing they are other playera

oh fucking christ what

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Syndrom

man those fucking frogs are some of the creepiest enemies i've ever seen in a game, brrrr.

never got cursed though, easy 200 souls a pop.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MiniPato

I think the parasite things in Quelaag's Lair are pretty scary. I don't like wormy things, especially pale ones, so when 6 of them popped out of one of those egg guys, I was freaking out. Same goes for that weird cone mouth thing with multiple eyes and teethy tube arms in Lost Izalith. And also the worm leech thing in the poison swamp of Blight Town, there was only one, but the way it moves so fast is unsettling. Monsters in this game are freaky, most notably any insect ones or slimy ones.

Also mimics, fucking mimics!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT

The moment I fell down that accursed hole I knew bad shit was about to go down. Swapped to my uneccesarily large supply of firebombs and the first two frogs that came at me I pelted them at. One firebomb was all it took to take them both out. After I fell *again* (two rats bumrushed me to death) I mustered enough courage to use my spear and they die in two hits.

Not that bad. Unless you get cursed I guess.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rave

Even getting cursed now isn't so bad after the patch. It no longer stacks and tue merchants sell the cure

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar
    @yoshimitz707: If you take a look at the art book, they are not frogs at all.  Those two giant eyeballs are just poison sacks.  They are actually lizards with normal sized eyes.

Also an easy way of dealing with the curse is to enter blight town through valley of drakes if you either have the master key or did not yet wake up that giant dragon.  You'll find the Red Sealer set when doing down, and it gives you incredibly curse resistance, enough so that a single basilisk will not be able to curse you enough that you are actually afflicted.  The bar will always build up half way, and then drop down since curse build up goes away much faster than poison.
    Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Omega

@MrCandleguy said:

Does anyone know that they other cursed statues things in the sewers are other players that have been cursed? With this games online it wouldn't surprise me.

Oh, that's what those were? The frog things were freaky enough but when I started noticing the creepy statues I thought they were some sort of enemy trying to surround me. Every time I stared at them they'd freeze, and when I looked away and looked back again they were in a different position. I started freaking out. It didn't help that I'm a big Doctor Who fan and thought the Weeping Angels were coming after me.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McShank

@Omega: I first thought they were just cursed npc's who had died long ago till i was fighting those lovely frogs and in the distance i saw 2 more statues appear. then as i looked around, more would appear randomly.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chop

As someone who is terrified of rats...

Well, lets just say Dark Souls is by far the scariest game I've ever played. I died more than once because I freaked out when the giant rat pounced at me.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gerrid

I lost 5k souls because a rat pounced me after a slime dropped on me from above. If you didn't know, you can hit attack when engulfed by the slime to get it off quicker. Didn't help me though ... :{

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By m0rdr3d

Those "frogs" pretty much ended my run with the game, I think. I'm now cursed and unable to buy a cure cause I mistook that ghoul merchant for an enemy. The only other merchant I can use is after the gargoyles, but I don't think I can take em with half health. Ugh.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@m0rdr3d: Didnt kill the merchant myself, but I'm running back to the guy at the church anyway because its like... 3k instead of 6k. I intend to buy about 4 and pray I never need to use them. Half health is literally terrifying, gotta take the game so slow again now.

myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By myalt22

@heatDrive88 said:

You thought the frogs were terrifying? Just wait until you get to the end of the level in the Depths.

I still have visions about that Vagina Dragon.

And yeah, I got cursed one time. An hour backtracking to cure it.

ALXNDRB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ALXNDRB

haha same here. I was so freaked out when I fell in the trap. I was so pissed off I got cursed then. But yeah they're terrifying. Wait until you meet the boss of the depths though.

Quite possibly one of the coolest / scariest / freakiest boss I have ever seen.

It's just amazing

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By cornbredx

Ya the frogs are crazy. I just got encountered them the other day. Pretty easy to kill though. Just have to be careful not to be swarmed by them or you're screwed. The coolest part though is all the statues of what I assume are players being cursed around them.

I think the giant rat was worse, though. Took me a bit to kill him cus hes fast and hits really hard (and I also kept walking into the water fall/drain thing and had to climb back up), but he looks really nasty. I think there's an arrow permanently stuck in his bad eye. Blech haha 

Edit: oh and if you have the souls SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By AlKusanagi

I didn't even know they cursed you when I went to the sewers, but I figured that big evil clouds were bad, so I kept my distance.

No, in the sewer they're not scary at all. The next time you run into them while heading to Ash Lake, however...

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By m0rdr3d

@MysteriousFawx: I didn't actually kill her, just hit her once by mistake. So now she won't deal with me.

As for my curse, I ran the gauntlet at New Londo Ruins and had Ingward cure me so I'm back in business. What a hassle that was. I made it with what looked like literally no health as I climbed the ladder to him. Whew!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By eroticfishcake

First time I fell into their nest a like most of you did. It freaked me out for a while (got chased by ten of them) but turns out they were super easy to kill. I didn't get cursed until much later though. Know I'm a LOT more wary of them. Still easy to kill though plus I found some good curse resist armour.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kazzurak

@Chop said:

As someone who is terrified of rats...

Well, lets just say Dark Souls is by far the scariest game I've ever played. I died more than once because I freaked out when the giant rat pounced at me.

i ended up taking the shortcut to the giant rat Drake Sword dropping attack in its face 1 shotted ... :/

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By imsh_pl

I think the moment I fell into their nest via the waterfall thingy was the most terrifying moment I've ever experienced in a video game.

More games should include punishment after death.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.