Tipping in Dark Souls rocks.

Posted by shodan2020 (658 posts) -

I just had an amazing experience in Dark Souls today that really made me glad to be a part of that game, as a player.

TLDR I got unexpectedly tipped a humanity in Dark Souls and it was awesome! but you really should read the story. :)

Ok, so I'm a level 40 cleric and I currently rock a +5 Mace which works pretty well on the enemies I encounter, but is generally worthless in PvP against anyone with better equipment. I spent a bit of time today building up 20k souls to buy the crest to get me into the Darkroot Forest, home of Alvina (see white cat in the inset pic). She's the Forest's eternal guardian and contracts players that intrude on the forest to defend it from any other player not in the covenant. She gives you a ring, that when equipped will randomly summon you to another person's game as a dark phantom. This person has to be in Alvina's part of the forest and HUMAN, Hollowed players get NPC player class humans who are pretty fucking tough at my level. By the way, I LOVE Alvina's voice work. It's like Eartha Kitt sexyness with a backdrop of actual feline purrs and growls. IT'S AMAZING! As a defender it's my job to kill intruders, however... I'm horrible at PvP and usually die pretty quick my only consolation is that I don't lose any souls if I am defeated. I do want to acquire at least five kills as a defender to get the rewards that Alvina dishes out, plus it's a really neat concept. The large majority of the forest's intruders are seasoned veterans on their 2nd or 3rd run through the entire game. Alvina doesn't discriminate against player level when she summons you. I think I got summoned about 12 times in about a half hour. I was in a few of the same veteran player's worlds multiple times. Most of them bowed (which is great!) as my hollowed corpse disintegrated in front of them after one volley of spells or weapon swing, and most had a summoned partner with them, so it was usually 2 on 1 against me. Sometimes, it was a group summon and there was another defender around, in any case, I am woefully under prepared for the situation. I do my best and try to be clever, but usually eat it pretty quick. The game announces who is being summoned to who's world, so both people know who is in there world.

Anyway, so I'm summoned to Outlander95's world like three times. First time, he smoked me like a pro. The second time, I come in shield up, but I don't attack, just to see what would happen. Circle around with shields raised for a bit and then he stops and drops something on the ground and backs away. I cautiously approach what he dropped, keep in mind, this is like my 5th summoning as a defender on my first run through of the game. I don't really know what's going on, it could be a trick for all i know. I'm surprised that I can pick the object up and keep it in my inventory.. even more so that it's a HUMANITY, something that I always am needing and in this form I can never lose it to death. It was a tip! Made all the other deaths so worth it! I checked his profile out and he has 800 points in Dark Souls, he's a vet, he's been in my shoes before and he's paying it forward like he should. Made my gaming day! So, Outlander95, good on you! Keep doing what you're doing! Cheers!

Yeah, I'm having a completely wonderful time in Dark Souls so far. Mostly, I can't wait to finish it so I can run through again with a better idea of what I need to do, etc. I love that this game is structured in this way, for me it's great and I'll surely pay it forward in later run throughs when I figure out how to make getting humanity not so much of a problem.

#1 Posted by shodan2020 (658 posts) -

I just had an amazing experience in Dark Souls today that really made me glad to be a part of that game, as a player.

TLDR I got unexpectedly tipped a humanity in Dark Souls and it was awesome! but you really should read the story. :)

Ok, so I'm a level 40 cleric and I currently rock a +5 Mace which works pretty well on the enemies I encounter, but is generally worthless in PvP against anyone with better equipment. I spent a bit of time today building up 20k souls to buy the crest to get me into the Darkroot Forest, home of Alvina (see white cat in the inset pic). She's the Forest's eternal guardian and contracts players that intrude on the forest to defend it from any other player not in the covenant. She gives you a ring, that when equipped will randomly summon you to another person's game as a dark phantom. This person has to be in Alvina's part of the forest and HUMAN, Hollowed players get NPC player class humans who are pretty fucking tough at my level. By the way, I LOVE Alvina's voice work. It's like Eartha Kitt sexyness with a backdrop of actual feline purrs and growls. IT'S AMAZING! As a defender it's my job to kill intruders, however... I'm horrible at PvP and usually die pretty quick my only consolation is that I don't lose any souls if I am defeated. I do want to acquire at least five kills as a defender to get the rewards that Alvina dishes out, plus it's a really neat concept. The large majority of the forest's intruders are seasoned veterans on their 2nd or 3rd run through the entire game. Alvina doesn't discriminate against player level when she summons you. I think I got summoned about 12 times in about a half hour. I was in a few of the same veteran player's worlds multiple times. Most of them bowed (which is great!) as my hollowed corpse disintegrated in front of them after one volley of spells or weapon swing, and most had a summoned partner with them, so it was usually 2 on 1 against me. Sometimes, it was a group summon and there was another defender around, in any case, I am woefully under prepared for the situation. I do my best and try to be clever, but usually eat it pretty quick. The game announces who is being summoned to who's world, so both people know who is in there world.

Anyway, so I'm summoned to Outlander95's world like three times. First time, he smoked me like a pro. The second time, I come in shield up, but I don't attack, just to see what would happen. Circle around with shields raised for a bit and then he stops and drops something on the ground and backs away. I cautiously approach what he dropped, keep in mind, this is like my 5th summoning as a defender on my first run through of the game. I don't really know what's going on, it could be a trick for all i know. I'm surprised that I can pick the object up and keep it in my inventory.. even more so that it's a HUMANITY, something that I always am needing and in this form I can never lose it to death. It was a tip! Made all the other deaths so worth it! I checked his profile out and he has 800 points in Dark Souls, he's a vet, he's been in my shoes before and he's paying it forward like he should. Made my gaming day! So, Outlander95, good on you! Keep doing what you're doing! Cheers!

Yeah, I'm having a completely wonderful time in Dark Souls so far. Mostly, I can't wait to finish it so I can run through again with a better idea of what I need to do, etc. I love that this game is structured in this way, for me it's great and I'll surely pay it forward in later run throughs when I figure out how to make getting humanity not so much of a problem.

#2 Posted by CornBREDX (4754 posts) -

grind rats in the sewer type area (where the giant rat boss was- I forget the name of it now) after you get the ring that increases the drop rate % to like 300 or whatever (I haven't played this since before the patch, but I assume the ring is still the same). You can get a ton of humanity that way. 

Anyway, glad the game is still awesome. I need to get back to it someday when I have time.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

After my first run I had near 50 humanity items. Later on in the game its super easy to come by. Tipping it is kinda nice but nothing super amazing. I mean I can farm 50 in maybe an hour easily.  

Nice story however. 

#4 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -

@CornBREDX: I agree. Grinding rats is the way to go. Just stack your humanity, put on that ring that increases your item find, and get a bunch of homeward bones. From the first bonfire through the pass to the right of the gate which leads to Blight Town you'll hit a bunch of rats. After you reach the end, homeward bone back to the fire and make the run again.

I rarely have less than 50 humanity in my bottomless box.

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

grind rats in the sewer type area (where the giant rat boss was- I forget the name of it now) after you get the ring that increases the drop rate % to like 300 or whatever (I haven't played this since before the patch, but I assume the ring is still the same). You can get a ton of humanity that way. Anyway, glad the game is still awesome. I need to get back to it someday when I have time.

Hell, you don't even really need the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring anymore. Just eat up 10 humanity (which you should easily get by the time you get to The Depths) and your item discovery should already be above 200.

#6 Posted by Terry_Bogard (302 posts) -

@EverydayOdyssey said:

@CornBREDX: I agree. Grinding rats is the way to go.

At least until you can farm the tiny skeletons before Nito.

#7 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

or my favorite: symbol of avarice - gives you a head like a mimic and raises 200 to item AND +20% souls (at the cost of HP drain)

#8 Posted by obcdexter (568 posts) -

I always wore that ring and had a couple of "humanities in use", so to say, but it was still a major pain to farm more from the rats in the sewers. 50 in about an hour? I wish I had encountered a drop-rate even remotely close to that. Weird ...

#9 Posted by Draugen (619 posts) -

@shodan2020: There is a trick to the NPCs in the forest. Just sayin'. It's a great way to farm souls.

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

That is pretty awesome, ^^. I like the small quirks people have with their PvP in that game. The bowing is great.

#11 Edited by Chippy180 (158 posts) -

@Terry_Bogard said:

@EverydayOdyssey said:

This ^^^

Tipping sounds like a terrific idea, think I'll do the same when my latest character gets back to the Forest. Just a word of warning, not all players are as nice when it comes to friendly item drops. Case in point(You're going to need to maximise the image, then open it in a new tab because it's too damn big haha):

#12 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I tip out humanities all the time, but only to phantoms who are helping me. Also, I've been dropping items I don't need so that they'll end up as vagrant enemies in someone else's world, which reward twin humanities when killed.

#13 Posted by weegieanawrench (1934 posts) -

I should really get into PVP. I've been invaded at least 7 times and only killed one invader. I do have Alvina's ring, but do I need to rejoin the covenant in order to be summoned?

Also, I love this game.

#14 Posted by Chet_Rippo (231 posts) -

@weegieanawrench said:

I do have Alvina's ring, but do I need to rejoin the covenant in order to be summoned?

Yes.

#15 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

@AndyD74 said:

I tip out humanities all the time, but only to phantoms who are helping me. Also, I've been dropping items I don't need so that they'll end up as vagrant enemies in someone else's world, which reward twin humanities when killed.

Woah, what the hell? I've never even heard about that before.

This game is amazing. More devs need to experiment and play around with online stuff, don't just stick a competitive deathmatch mode in for kicks.

#16 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

@drag, If you ever see a black phantom enemy that looks like a crab with white spiky hair, it used to be an item which was dropped by a player in another world. It can attack you with its claws, and it shoots the spikes off of its head at you. They are easy to kill.

#17 Posted by SpawnMan (748 posts) -

Are you kidding? Outlander 95 is a f*gg*t!!! I was summoned to his world like 50 times the other night and would whittle him down to a small amount of health and he'd either run away and heal or just run and zap me with his spells. For such a high level player he is a p*ssy. At least he didn't summon other players like 90% of the other level 100+'s do! Why can't they just have a good ol' 1v1 without such cheap magic or a leech player hanging off them.

#18 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -

@Chippy180 said:

@Terry_Bogard said:

@EverydayOdyssey said:

This ^^^

Tipping sounds like a terrific idea, think I'll do the same when my latest character gets back to the Forest. Just a word of warning, not all players are as nice when it comes to friendly item drops. Case in point(You're going to need to maximise the image, then open it in a new tab because it's too damn big haha):

Fucking brilliant!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.