Tips for Dealing with Invaders

#1 Posted by MikeLemmer (515 posts) -

How should I deal with Invaders while I'm trying to finish the game?

For the home stretch, I've moved my console to a TV where it can be connected to the Internet, so I'm using Humanity and exposing myself to online Invasions/Summons for the first time. I have a decent build, but nothing overpowered or focused on PvP. I'd rather put up a good fight than just jump off a ledge. I'm not worried about being honorable; they're bringing Fire Zweihanders & Father's Masks, so I have no compunctions about being as underhanded & merciless as possible.

How can I put up a good fight against them or even cheese a win? And what do I have to watch out for?

#2 Posted by DorkyMohr (158 posts) -

Shoot where they're going to be, not where they are.

#3 Posted by ThunderSlash (1508 posts) -

Use your environment to your advantage. If you see them bowing that probably means that they are up for a fair fight, so bow back. Otherwise fuck em up before they fuck you up. Summon other dudes if you feel like gaining the upper hand.

#4 Posted by Christoffer (1742 posts) -

Run to the nearest edge or bridge, strip naked for maximum movement, circle around them until you can kick them in their stupid butts. That's what I did a few times. But it's too time consuming and not very fun, so most of the times I jumped off the edge myself to speed it up.

#5 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

What is your soul level? Are you a fast or a slow character (roll speed and weapon speed)? Do you use any magic (miracle, sorcery, and/or pyromancy) or buffs?

All of that will factor into every PVP encounter as different builds will require different approaches. It literally takes 100s of fights to become familiar with what's out there and to be able to recognize the different play styles. As the host you you'll keep the connection advantage, which means you can potentially backstab invaders before they realize you're maneuvering for a backstab. That assumes you know how to pivot backstab or roll backstab, but you'll generally be able to hit and dodge better.

#6 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1726 posts) -

Unless you are built for PvP, there's mot much you can do these days. Just figght it out and hope for the best.

#7 Posted by MikeLemmer (515 posts) -

@golguin: SL 80, 20-25s in most stats, 35 in Faith. Midroll build w/ Lightning Spear and a Divine Polearm +10. My go-to miracle is Wrath of the Gods, but it doesn't seem to do much vs the uber-Poise builds I see.

#8 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

@golguin: SL 80, 20-25s in most stats, 35 in Faith. Midroll build w/ Lightning Spear and a Divine Polearm +10. My go-to miracle is Wrath of the Gods, but it doesn't seem to do much vs the uber-Poise builds I see.

Well, people geared for PVP can pretty much kill you at SL 60 if they focus on a scaling stat (STR or DEX) and then put the rest into VIT and END in varied amounts. My advice would be to stack the armor and poise if you're not going to be fast. I'd stick with the Dive Polearm as the Lightning Spear isn't going to do any real damage. Your other hand should be able to switch between a shield and talisman. I'd personally keep the talisman on the left hand to increase your fighting options. You'll limit what an invader can do if they knew you could immediately pop them with a WoTG whenever you're not attacking with the Polearm.

#9 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (570 posts) -

Always go hollow.

#10 Posted by mosespippy (3973 posts) -

@mikelemmer: Only 4 attacks require more than 53 poise, so lots of builds will withstand Wrath of the Gods. Luckily Great Combustion is one of those attacks. Also, the strongest buff in the game, Darkmoon Blade, requires 30 Faith so you should use that. You need to join the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant in Anor Londo to use it. You'll also need 10 Soul of Reprisals, which you'll get from that covenants PVP or by farming harpies in the Painted World. Since this covenant does it's PVP in Anor Londo the most important thing to know is that the game can't do backstabs on the rotating bridge.

#11 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

If someone invades you in Anor Londo, and runs up to the rafters, or tries to get you into a situation where you need to go across those rafters, just quit.

#12 Posted by Dixavd (1289 posts) -

First thing I did was see if they had buffed themselves with Power Within. If they had, great. All I had to do was dodge them and they would slowly kill themselves (or bring them close enough that it would only take one break in their defence to kill them).

Secondly, if you have a moment to set-up, pick a weapon with a wide range - either long reach like a Halberd, or a wide spin like the Dark Knight Axe - as most invaders, by their very nature, tend to be ones that want to kill you quickly (and the quickest ways are very close range - like a rapier, or Combustion Pyromancy). If you have the longer reach and/or can hit them when they dodge, you will probably win.

Also, don't let the environment get the better of you; a seasoned Invader will decide the places they invade specifically for how easy they find to kill in that are. So don't go chasing them. Get them to come to you - give you a chance to prepare, and hopefully take them out of their comfort zone. And don't be fooled by if they start shooting arrows at you - they probably expect you to come running with your shield up at them and waste your endurance before you get to them. It's probably better to either stand there with your shield up and wait for them to waste their arrows, or just walk away.

In general, you've usually got two options when you want to continue with the single player and get invaded - continue on to new areas ignoring them with the expectation either they will kill you or the game will. Or, head to a place you can easily return to or fight in and wait for them to come to you. If I had a load of souls, I'd just head back to the last Bonfire and wait there purely for the ease of getting my souls back.
Finally, remember, if you don't want to fight them then there's nothing wrong with killing yourself if you want to get back to single player as fast as possible. There's no reason to think about honour in Dark Souls unless you Summoned them.

#13 Posted by chiablo (889 posts) -

Usually lag is so bad that invasion fights are a miserable experience for me. Nothings worse then being in front of someone, then suddenly getting backstabbed. If there's an invasion and they're warping around a bit, I'll Alt+F4 to avoid losing humanity. I would love to actually be able to defend against invasions, and this is my biggest worry about Dark Souls 2. Hopefully the lag is the result of GFWL and that the netcode is better in DS2.

#14 Posted by seveword (134 posts) -

I usually accept an invasion as a death, because one of several things usually happens:

1) They've hacked either their stats, health, or equipment and there's no point in fighting

2) They haven't hacked, but have equipment levels so high comparable to the area they invade in (giant's armor and dragonslayer bow in the undead parish? come on), so there's no point in fighting if my backstab does 34 damage and they kill me in one swing

3) Lag, which, with the peer to peer nature of Dark Souls connectivity and my shady internet connection usually means I get backstabbed while they are a good 15 feet away

I've been invaded by people who choose skill over trying to abuse the systems in Dark Souls and have had good and awesome fights. Most people don't care about that and will invade you for kicks because they are either a child or a moron, or both. Hopefully having actual servers will make invasions in Dark Souls 2 bearable, if not somewhat enjoyable, because I want to enjoy fighting someone, but Dark Souls has too many easily exploitable systems for this experience to ever be positive on my end.

#15 Posted by Huey2k2 (483 posts) -

Every time I have ever been invaded it is by someone who is significantly higher level then me soul and gear wise, and I never win.

At this point I just assume it means death, which is why I try to play most of the game as hollow.

#16 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1502 posts) -

Guys, Unplug

#17 Posted by A_E_Martin (131 posts) -

Your duplicate thread was deleted, so I shall reiterate:

Jump off a cliff. I always jump off a cliff.

It is the way of the wise.

#18 Posted by MikeLemmer (515 posts) -

I'd rather practice PvP in preparation for Dark Souls 2 instead of falling off a cliff.

Currently, I'm doing all of my PvP/Coop in the Kiln of the First Flame, to pass the time between final boss attempts. I think I could knock them off the narrow ledges, but I'm not sure how well that'd go; odds are they'd kick me off first.

#19 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

@huey2k2: The formula used by Dark Souls actually limits an invader's Soul Level to +/- 10% of yours (execpt in specific cases in the Forest, because the Forest covenant is weird). So if you are SL 50, invaders must be 45-55, etc.

So unless you have been naughty in the forest, it shouldn't be an issue of them being higher level than you. Though that doesn't mean they didn't somehow get to places you haven't been and might have invested 10k+ souls in their weapons and armor that you didn't. And hence the silliness of the PvP is revealed. An invader with over 50k+ souls spent on equipment but is still SL 10 can invade low level people to troll. So dumb.

#20 Posted by TheRealMoot (334 posts) -

Do what I do: Run for the Boss door! Jump inside that boss room and let whatever happens, happen.

99% of people engaging in PVP in Dark Souls are scum bags who are cheating / hacked or have a weird internet connection that lets them back stab you from across the room multiple times until you die a humiliating death to a foe who jumps around the screen in the most spectacular display of lag ever known to man. The 1% remaining are the guys who either know how to get the good equipment at low levels or want a legit duel, but know how to mess you up with say... a weapon that bypasses your shields damage reduction.

When I'm human, I literally cannot step away from the bonfire without getting attacked by a black phantom wanting to ruin my day. And I have never won a duel against someone, ever. I immediately get one shot by a back stab, some spell enhanced weapon or a spell that gets me through a wall or my shield. Fingers crossed Dark Souls 2 fixes this or allows us to block out Black Phantoms with an item or something like that.

Till then, i'm staying hollow or just running for the nearest boss door.

#21 Edited by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

@seveword said:

I usually accept an invasion as a death, because one of several things usually happens:

1) They've hacked either their stats, health, or equipment and there's no point in fighting

2) They haven't hacked, but have equipment levels so high comparable to the area they invade in (giant's armor and dragonslayer bow in the undead parish? come on), so there's no point in fighting if my backstab does 34 damage and they kill me in one swing

3) Lag, which, with the peer to peer nature of Dark Souls connectivity and my shady internet connection usually means I get backstabbed while they are a good 15 feet away

I've been invaded by people who choose skill over trying to abuse the systems in Dark Souls and have had good and awesome fights. Most people don't care about that and will invade you for kicks because they are either a child or a moron, or both. Hopefully having actual servers will make invasions in Dark Souls 2 bearable, if not somewhat enjoyable, because I want to enjoy fighting someone, but Dark Souls has too many easily exploitable systems for this experience to ever be positive on my end.

I feel this is the best answer. You will get teleport-backstabbed. Just accept it.

I like to find a ledge, put my back to it, wait for them to see me, use the wave gesture, then press O/B.

#22 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

@mikelemmer: Only 4 attacks require more than 53 poise, so lots of builds will withstand Wrath of the Gods. Luckily Great Combustion is one of those attacks. Also, the strongest buff in the game, Darkmoon Blade, requires 30 Faith so you should use that. You need to join the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant in Anor Londo to use it. You'll also need 10 Soul of Reprisals, which you'll get from that covenants PVP or by farming harpies in the Painted World. Since this covenant does it's PVP in Anor Londo the most important thing to know is that the game can't do backstabs on the rotating bridge.

For PVP I'd stack 61 Poise to deal with two handed attacks as it will resist a good number of two 2handed attacks.

WeaponAttackPoise
1 Handed
Poise
2 Handed
All Ultra Greatswordslight5075
Most Greataxeslight5075
All Great Hammerslight5075
Black Knight Greataxelight4060
Black Flamelight-60
All Greatswordslight3552
All Hammerslight3552
Most Axeslight3552
Black Knight Halberdlight3045
Great Combustionlight-40
Hand Axelight2030
All Curved Swordslight2030
All Straight Swordslight2030
All Katanaslight2030
All Whipslight2030
All Spearslight2030
Most Halberdslight2030
All Fist Weaponslight20-
All Thrusting Swordslight57
All Daggerslight57
Bare Fistlight5-
#23 Posted by gamefreak9 (2335 posts) -

I don't really understand the complaints. I've never invaded someone but I think I've killed 75% of invaders(over 100) which is a lot. I would mostly recommend being quick and backstabbing, if your internet sucks then get something heavy like a great club and start spamming, this is especially great if you can find a tight corridor. WRath of the gods usually means easy kill, I would even consider every 4 charges of wrath of the gods to = 1 dead invader. Also interesting is setting pursuers and then running in with a quick weopon that will keep them blocking.

#24 Posted by CornBREDX (4739 posts) -

The PVP in dark souls is broken because the netcode is so poor. The timing on back stabs and parries is ridiculous.

It's easier to jump off a ledge and save yourself the trouble.

If you have spells, though, cheesing them is usually pretty good. There are some that people say is looked down on using but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If it's in the game, use it. They shouldn't invade if they don't want you cheesing over powered spells on them.

#25 Posted by Dark (360 posts) -

I have played the game so many times through now, I just make a run for the boss portal. You are going to die if you don't make it anyway, might as well try and make a dash to the portal and kick them back to their world empty handed.

#26 Edited by Branwulf (397 posts) -

You need a few things, the gesture from Oswald, a Zweihander, Grass Crest Shield, Mask of the Father and the giant armour set. Once you have these things you will understand what you need to do.

#27 Posted by Zevvion (1784 posts) -

Don't dismiss Wrath of the Gods' damage though. I use it when I'm invaded and yes, most people resist, but they still take damage, not to mention they will stagger. The animation is short enough that if you roll, trigger Wrath and then roll again you'll probably won't get hit with anything. If you use all three, they should be down a significant amount of health. You'll also want to use Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade; whichever you have/Covenant you're in. You'll be able to do a portion of damage through shields with those. Not much, but it will help.

Just be patient. You can always win. This whole 'build specifically for PvP so you don't stand a chance' stuff is absolute nonsense. Yes, they might have an advantage, but you can always win. I've won most of my encounters and I never build a character for PvP. Just be smart.

For instance, do they have Power Within enabled? Then just roll and let it wear them out. For one, so you'll get some free damage on them and for another because you don't want to get hit when they are buffed with it. Do they have a lightning weapon buff? Try to let it wear out or just stay out of range. Are they two handing? Consider projectiles. Are they casting sorceries? Roll. They should run out of them at some point. While some people have shitloads of them stacked up, others don't. They might only have like 20 to use.

Also, consider having Force with you. It knocks down people with low-medium poise and it causes a ton of stamina damage to the ones who have their shields up. It has 21 uses, which it pretty great.

In the end, just try to put up a fight. They are not there to mess your game up; they came to fight and you can totally kick their asses back into their own world.

#28 Posted by MB (11878 posts) -

I agree with @zevvion about Wrath of the Gods. As a Paladin type character it was my only real defense, and most invaders became pretty cautious after being hit with it the first time. I'm not that great at PVP so Wrath was really the only thing giving me a fighting chance most of the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.