Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Undead vs. Hollow?

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AndyD74

Can the words "Undead" and "Hollow" be used interchangably in this game, or do they mean two different things? I know that when I am not human, I can reverse hollowing at a bonfire. But, I have spoken to an NPC in non-human form and he told me that I looked "far from being hollow" when I thought I was hollow. Am I missing something here?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TentPole

As someone who has finished more than one playthrough I fill I speak with authority when I say: ???????

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I believe that story wise, being Hollow actually means that you lose your mind. So he says you're not Hollow because you still have control of yourself.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

@AndyD74: Yeah, they each have a different meaning ... In Dark Souls, the undead are people who cannot really die because of the dark sign (similar to a sickness), they are called "undead" even in human form. When they "die" they lose humanity and become increasingly hollow (zombie-looking, lose sanity). So "hollow" is a state of an undead.

As opposed to the NPCs in the world, the player avatar keeps his sanity though when he becomes hollow.... maybe because he's the chosen one. Well, the actual player in front of the TV might still lose sanity after hundreds of deaths (how clever!)

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@FluxWaveZ said:

I believe that story wise, being Hollow actually means that you lose your mind. So he says you're not Hollow because you still have control of yourself.

Its this pretty much. Everyone in the world is undead but will eventually become hollow. The darksign being the reason for this, it carries the undead curse which eventually drives everyone to insanity over a period of time. Its the reason why NPC's can be found to become hollow after you reach a certain point.

The breaking of the curse is the whole goal of the game, not that it really puts that upfront!

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndyD74

So what's the purpose of the dark sign that you aquire in the game? Is it a consumable? I've never tried it.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By benjaebe

@AndyD74 said:

So what's the purpose of the dark sign that you aquire in the game? Is it a consumable? I've never tried it.

It's sort of like a homeward bone only you lose all your souls and humanity when you use it. It's sort of like the nexial binding from Demons Souls.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

@benjaebe said:

@AndyD74 said:

It's sort of like a homeward bone only you lose all your souls and humanity when you use it. It's sort of like the nexial binding from Demons Souls.

It's basically your "undead" curse ... you die but then you awake again with less humanity and you lost all souls. Using it is basically dying.

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndyD74

Thanks for the info fellas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.