Upgrades on divine shield, lightening spear, Quelaag's sword

#1 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

What do divine weapons/shields offer? I upg'd my spider shield to divine.

I have my lightning spear at +3. The smith can change it into a +10 normal (i assume it's normal) but does that mean I lose the electricity? The attack is boosted but the magic slot shows zero.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. If I want to create Quelaag's demon sword, I need a +10 normal sword added to her soul, and if I want to upg that, I have to add ten demon shards?

THanks again

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Also divine allows you to kill undead and keep them dead (Catacombs)  

And to upgrade a boss weapon yes you need demon shards. As for the Spear. If its "Normal" Then yes it removes lighting. 
#3 Posted by DeadDorf (388 posts) -

I just created Qualaag's Fury Sword last night. You need a +10 slash-type sword (scimitar, falchion, etc.), then you take it to the Giant Smith in Anor Londo.

#4 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

Yeah, + 10 in anything, so its probably easier going down the 'normal' path or 'raw' path due to ease of upgrading. Also, if I remember right, Qualaag's sword is pretty average on its own, but is only really worth the hassle when you have a bunch of humanity stacked up.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@biggiedubs said:

Yeah, + 10 in anything, so its probably easier going down the 'normal' path or 'raw' path due to ease of upgrading. Also, if I remember right, Qualaag's sword is pretty average on its own, but is only really worth the hassle when you have a bunch of humanity stacked up.

The claymore you get udner the dragon full lighting does insane damage and has amazing reach. Makes it real hard for people to back stab me.

#6 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

Queelags sword at plus 5 with a decent humanity stack 3+ is actually pretty good. It will out hit my +5 lightning iaito anyway. Not everyone goes the route of giant slow as hell weapons you know.

#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

It's generally pointless to ascend shields as all it does is add that type of damage. Leveling shields increases their stability but not their block % or resistances (i think).

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Canteu said:

It's generally pointless to ascend shields as all it does is add that type of damage. Leveling shields increases their stability but not their block % or resistances (i think).

No. Stability is great.

#9 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: misunderstood

Leveling through normal is good. For stability.

Leveling through anything else is pointless.

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@The_Laughing_Man: misunderstood

Leveling through normal is good. For stability.

Leveling through anything else is pointless.

All I know is that I love my eagle shield. If I play more soon gonna get that throwing crystal shield so I do not have to hassle with 4 kinds in New game plus.

#11 Edited by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

Queelags sword at plus 5 with a decent humanity stack 3+ is actually pretty good. It will out hit my +5 lightning iaito anyway. Not everyone goes the route of giant slow as hell weapons you know.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a solid weapon, but I'm usually to cautious / scared to roll around with excess humanity, and I doubt many are until they're on at least New Game +

And for the record, I went for a Black Knight Halbred.

As for the levelling up weapons, I thought I didn't really matter, until I found out that a Crystal Halbred +3 was just as good as my Raw Halbred +10.

#12 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

@biggiedubs: Raw weapons cannot be upgraded to +10.

#13 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

@Bass: goddamit, that's two threads you've just corrected me in now.

Regardless, Crystal Halberd on its own, is nearly as good as Raw +5, so its obviously worth the effort

#14 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -

I like the fury sword. It can once ascended from a +10 curved sword. Demon Titantie is okay to farm. I hear there are respawning demon drops at the area just past the chaos covenant bon fire. Also,, you can trade Snuggly a prism stone and a dung pie for one demon titanite a piece. I agree that it is a minor waste to upgrade shields for reasons other than stability - a shield's attack power will never out do a good sword. The fury sword is good because it is a slashing weapon, which means more hits before you run out of stamina. The sword also reaches bad guys quicker than most can get off their first attack. I highly recommend the sword.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.