Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Upgrading a weapon/armor to +5

BeardedGent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BeardedGent

My apologizes if this has already been asked, I tried searching but couldn't find quite the answer I was looking for. I'm in the process of grinding souls via the Drake fire/bridge "technique" and I intend to save up enough souls to buy all the Titanite Shards I'll need to upgrade my Winged Spear to +5 and I'd like to get all of my armor to +5 as well. So, my question is, does the number of shards required for each level of upgrade increase with each upgrade? For example: One shard +100 souls for +1, Two Shards +?? souls for +2 and so on. Or is it just one shard +100 souls per +1 I add? Also, does upgrading armor function in the same manner?

Thanks folks.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By bcjohnnie

@BeardedGent: It increases as you go up in levels, I don't think it's every time though. If I remember, it's something like:

+1: one shard

+2: one shard

+3: two shards

+4: two shards

+5: three shards

I might be wrong though. I have a feeling that armor uses a different progression though.

I think the soul requirement is 200 for each upgrade up to +5 though.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By chainreaction01

It changes, I'm pretty sure it's one shard for +1 and +2, 2 for +3/4, and 3 for +5. Past that I don't know without ascending the weapon to something. As for armor I don't know at all unfortunately.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By StingerMK2

@bcjohnnie said:

@BeardedGent: It increases as you go up in levels, I don't think it's every time though. If I remember, it's something like:

I might be wrong though. I have a feeling that armor uses a different progression though.

this sounds about right to me, iv done it a handfull of times with different weapons and im never sure how many shards i have going in, i just buy them as i need them, at this point iv probably paid more for shards than i have levels, haha

as a side note, is it worth upgrading armour? with weapons i don't feel so bad about doing it, but i have proper RPG anxiety about upgrading armour then just finding a better set around the corner

BeardedGent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BeardedGent

I've always understood that Dark Souls armor isn't all that easy to come by. From what I understand, you can get all the "best" armor after you ring the second bell. I figured that's a way off from where I'm at so, yeah, upgrading what I've got might add a little survivability I would think. Thanks for the quick replies folks. Much appreciated.

Nekromantix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nekromantix87

Only thing I can add is that armor stops using titanite shards after +3. +1/+2 use one shard and two hundred souls. +3 is two shards and two hundred souls. After that, it uses large titanite.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jozzy

@BeardedGent said:

I've always understood that Dark Souls armor isn't all that easy to come by. From what I understand, you can get all the "best" armor after you ring the second bell. I figured that's a way off from where I'm at so, yeah, upgrading what I've got might add a little survivability I would think. Thanks for the quick replies folks. Much appreciated.

I personally wouldn't waste souls and shards on armor until you are certain there is no better armor around. Example, I just found my new favorite armor in blight town.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vashyron

@jozzy said:

@BeardedGent said:

I personally wouldn't waste souls and shards on armor until you are certain there is no better armor around. Example, I just found my new favorite armor in blight town.

Or at least until maybe nearing the endgame so that you can basically figure out what you want in terms of stats and how you want your character to look (if that matters to you).

@bcjohnnie said:

This seems the most accurate from the farming I've done to Ascend weapons. After that, you'll need chunks rather than shards to take them to +10

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Vashyron said:

@bcjohnnie said:

This seems the most accurate from the farming I've done to Ascend weapons. After that, you'll need chunks rather than shards to take them to +10

It is accurate other than the fact the souls required is different depending on the weapon. (My great axe was 800 per level, Serpent-man Greatsword was 400 per level). However, you don't need chunks to get to +10. My axe is +10 and I just needed large shards rather than small shards. I believe it you need 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 large shards (each level) up to level 10.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vashyron

@xobballox said:

@Vashyron said:

@bcjohnnie said:

It is accurate other than the fact the souls required is different depending on the weapon. (My great axe was 800 per level, Serpent-man Greatsword was 400 per level). However, you don't need chunks to get to +10. My axe is +10 and I just needed large shards rather than small shards. I believe it you need 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 large shards (each level) up to level 10.

You are correct. It IS large shards and the cost is dependent on the weapon.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@BeardedGent said:

Whaaaa You find so many sets of armor everywhere though. The Stone armor, elite knight armor, shadow set all before the 2nd bell and all pretty good for where you are when you find them.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

Some of the better armor requires Twinkling Titatnite to upgrade not standard one.
    Also the toughest armor like Stone armor and Havels armor can't even be upgraded at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.