Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Upgrading guide

• 90 results
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By imsh_pl

Upgrading weapons is a very important aspect of Dark Souls, and the process itself isn't as threatening as it may seem. Dak Souls veterans reading this probably already know where to get all the ore and which upgrades are best for which area, but I'm sure lots of folks here have troubles keeping up with all the divine weapon/titanite chunk shenanigans. I know that all instructions can be accessed via darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com, but I think it would be a good idea to create an easy to access thread explaining how to master the art of upgrading; more experienced players could also aid their more noobish brethren in the process.

To upgrade a weapon you first need titanite shards (can be bought from blacksmiths for 800 souls a pop) - blacksmiths can upgrade your weapons gradually using a certain number of them (1-3) and a small amount of souls. 

Important note: After upgrading your normal weapon to +5 you have to visit a blacksmith to select the next upgrade path you want to follow. For example, if you want to get a divine weapon, you have to reinforce a normal weapon to +5, then visit a blacksmith and modify it to divine +1 (You can do this only with the help of a blacksmith); The weapon will then be available in the "reinforce" option, and until the next upgrade stage (in this case from divine +5 to divine +6 or occult +1)  you will be able to reinforce it at a bonfire.

When you get your weapon to +5 you then have the access to various branching paths, as seen in this chart: 

EDIT:Props to @Immuniity for providing the updated version of the chart, thanks a lot man!

No Caption Provided
    I hope that the chart and links will be able to at least help some of you understand the upgrading process better.

(Bigger size: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/9/97252/1973752-dark_soul_weapon_info.jpg
    (Locations of various ores and upgrade specifics: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades)
    (Dark Souls wiki homepage : http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Taklulas

I love you. have my babies.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is great for the people having questions about this, sticky-ing this for a while would be a good idea.

Also, if anyone wants to tell me... feel free to let me know where I should farm Titanite Chunks. I need a few more to get my Lightning Man-serpent Greatsword to +5.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

Dark Souls topics have taken over the forums.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By swoxx

@Hizang said:

I've been thinking this for weeks. Every time I check site activity I see at least 3-5 Dark Souls threads! Crazy

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Juno500

Since this is related to upgrading, I have a question- is there any major benefit to upgrading shields? I've put a little bit into my shield, but all I've gotten is a boost to stability, which is nice but I'd rather save those shards for my weapons unless it will lead to a big boost for my shield.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Juno500 said:

Since this is related to upgrading, I have a question- is there any major benefit to upgrading shields? I've put a little bit into my shield, but all I've gotten is a boost to stability, which is nice but I'd rather save those shards for my weapons unless it will lead to a big boost for my shield.

As I understand it, the damage that is being upgraded on the shield also helps with how much damage you can block (and how much stamina is taken off during a block). Personally I think upgrading your weapon is more important, but shields should probably come before armor pieces.

tw1sted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By tw1sted

I got a question about upgrading from a +5 weapon to a raw one or +6. I think this is called ascension? Anyways, I saw there were three tabs, one for weapons the second for I-don't-remember, but the third had a cycle-symbol on it, and once I had 'ascended' one of my weapons, it appeared there. Does this mean I can get back the Large Ember I used to upgrade it? And will it scrap the weapon if I do?

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Nasar7

@Swoxx said:

@Hizang said:

I've been thinking this for weeks. Every time I check site activity I see at least 3-5 Dark Souls threads! Crazy

Seriously, this one being on 360 has really helped it reach critical mass round these parts.

OP: thanks for the chart, very handy. Maybe someone can now compile what stats modify the different upgrade paths, etc.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tw1sted said:

I got a question about upgrading from a +5 weapon to a raw one or +6. I think this is called ascension? Anyways, I saw there were three tabs, one for weapons the second for I-don't-remember, but the third had a cycle-symbol on it, and once I had 'ascended' one of my weapons, it appeared there. Does this mean I can get back the Large Ember I used to upgrade it? And will it scrap the weapon if I do?

I'm pretty sure that just reverts the weapon back to what it was before you "ascended" it. For example, if I go there with my lightning weapon, I can change it back to a normal +10 weapon (Or a +7 weapon back to a +5). I don't know if you'll get your souls and shards/chunks back though.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turambar

People should note that Magic/Enchanted can only be done at the New Londo black smith, lightning and boss souls can only be done at the Anor Londo black smith, and Fire/Chaos can only be done at the Catacombs blacksmith.  Divine and Raw should be doable by whoever you give the ember to I believe.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By bcjohnnie

@Turambar said:

People should note that Magic/Enchanted can only be done at the New Londo black smith, lightning and boss souls can only be done at the Anor Londo black smith, and Fire/Chaos can only be done at the Catacombs blacksmith. Divine and Raw should be doable by whoever you give the ember to I believe.

That's correct except that Divine can only be done at the Undead Parish blacksmith

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Awolf007

So I started upgrading my claymore and have it @ +5. If I wanted to go electric, my path from here would require what types of shards (doesn't +5 to +10 require large titanite shards or is it titanite chunks?). Then, once it's +10, how do I take it to electric?

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Awolf007

Electric isn't mentioned in the chart above (unless it is a boss soul or falls within the magic category perhaps?). Or maybe it isn't an option on the claymore? Anyone care to enlighten my noobish query?

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vigil80

@Awolf007:

It's called "thunder" on the chart. You need large titanite shards to get to +10. These can be farmed from the living poop creatures in the depths, or bought from a merchant at the top of Sen's Fortress.

To ascend to an electric weapon, you need to take titanite chunks to the Anor Londo blacksmith.

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Awolf007

Thanks Vigil. Another question - I already gave both embers thus far to Andrei. Is that a problem? Also, based on what you said, looks like I'll be rocking the Drake a bit longer (I'm at Iron Golem in Sen's)

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grimluck343

@imsh_pl Not only is this an amazing post, but you have the most amazing avatar on the site. Period.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Immuniity
    No Caption Provided

Heres the version i posted on this forum about 5 days ago. You've seen to have got a hold of an earlier copy.

Edit from the other thread i posted this in -

'If you copy the URL and take out the "_super" part you can see it fine.'

Psychos1s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Psychos1s

Wow! Thanks for the quick concise info. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By rjaylee

@imsh_pl: I think that chart/image is inaccurate on the Sif soul swords.

The Sword of Artorias using a Broken Shortsword or a Sword Hilt is not the cursed version that can hit ghosts. The other version of the sword if you use a greatsword or whatever is the version that you want to use to hit ghosts.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kishinfoulux

Awesome.

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Awolf007

So I just visited the blacksmith in A.L. and wanted to continue my Claymore progression. As stated it's at +5 and it won't show up in my Reinforce weapon menu. I could swear I have some Large titanite shards is my inventory. Of course, I'm not playing right now so I can't look to verify, but why isn't claymore +6 an option? I have like 15K souls on me so that isn't the issue. I suppose it just means I don't have the large shards, right?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Awolf007: If you have a +5 weapon and want to make it +6 you have to take it to the blacksmith and ascend it to +6, then you'll be able to upgrade it up to +10 normally at a bonfire.
    Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Awolf007

@imsh_pl - so I gave both my embers to Andrei back in UD Burg. I have to go back ther to upgrade to +6 then, huh?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tesla

What's the story on upgrading armor?

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Gerhabio

Oooo, this should go to the guide section so that people may find it easier.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By rjaylee

@Tesla said:

What's the story on upgrading armor?

The exact same rules apply.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tesla

Including ascension?

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By metal_mills

Is it wise to upgrade normal weapons to save your ore for certain items?

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McQuinn

Armor goes up to +5 and that's it. You can go ahead and assend to +5 or 10 if you want cus you can always buy ore for that. To assend to +6 you have to go to undeadburg black smith, he's the only one who will do it.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Chummy8

@xobballox: Can you revert a normal weapon back to +5 for branching? Say I take a normal weapon all the way to +15 normal, but now I want to make it a divine weapon, it needs to be back at +5.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McShank

@xobballox said:

This is great for the people having questions about this, sticky-ing this for a while would be a good idea.

Also, if anyone wants to tell me... feel free to let me know where I should farm Titanite Chunks. I need a few more to get my Lightning Man-serpent Greatsword to +5.

might be late in telling you but the last 5 knights before the end boss respawn and drop a guarenteed 2 titanite chunks, 1 red chunk, 1 white chunk and 1 blue chunk

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McShank said:

@xobballox said:

might be late in telling you but the last 5 knights before the end boss respawn and drop a guarenteed 2 titanite chunks, 1 red chunk, 1 white chunk and 1 blue chunk

Thanks, I haven't made it there yet (extremely busy with college right now - midterms). I finally found that out after a bunch of google searching.

@TekZero said:

@xobballox: Can you revert a normal weapon back to +5 for branching? Say I take a normal weapon all the way to +15 normal, but now I want to make it a divine weapon, it needs to be back at +5.

I'm pretty sure you can. I don't have a +15 weapon, but I imagine you can downgrade it back to a +10, from where I'm almost certain you can downgrade back to +5. Just go to the modify equipment section and go to the tab all the way to the right and that should be the reverting tab.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By bkbroiler

This is a semi-related question about upgrading, but I didn't want to start a new topic.

I've been using the Winged Spear, upgraded to +7 and pumped dex a bit for the bonus. Now I've got the Lightening Spear and have upgraded it a few times, but it no longer scales with my dex. What stats should I push? I feel like my health and endurance are descent, so I will improve them but I wonder if there is a third thing to improve. I'm a pyro so I don't really need anything else...

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bkbroiler said:

This is a semi-related question about upgrading, but I didn't want to start a new topic.

I've been using the Winged Spear, upgraded to +7 and pumped dex a bit for the bonus. Now I've got the Lightening Spear and have upgraded it a few times, but it no longer scales with my dex. What stats should I push? I feel like my health and endurance are descent, so I will improve them but I wonder if there is a third thing to improve. I'm a pyro so I don't really need anything else...

If you plan on sticking with a lightning weapon, just pump endurance and vitality. However, eventually scaling weapons will outdo lightning weapons from what I have heard, but probably not until NG+. When you hit that point, you should probably stick with more dex in addition to endurance/vitality and use dex weapons like the Winged Spear or Uchigatana or Quelaag's Furysword (my personal favorite so far, it does a lot of elemental damage and scales with your dexterity and humanity, and I believe strength but only a bit) since you said you already pumped dex a bit.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bkbroiler

@xobballox said:

@bkbroiler said:

If you plan on sticking with a lightning weapon, just pump endurance and vitality. However, eventually scaling weapons will outdo lightning weapons from what I have heard, but probably not until NG+. When you hit that point, you should probably stick with more dex in addition to endurance/vitality and use dex weapons like the Winged Spear or Uchigatana or Quelaag's Furysword (my personal favorite so far, it does a lot of elemental damage and scales with your dexterity and humanity, and I believe strength but only a bit) since you said you already pumped dex a bit.

Hm, thank you for the input. Interesting. So you're saying if I upgrade the Winged Spear to +15 it'll eventually become more powerful?

I don't want to completely gimp my character for a possible NG+, but also I tend to get to that point in a game, fully intending to keep playing, and then move onto something else. I would ideally like to get the most out of whatever weapon I'm using - and make it a pretty powerful one.

I guess I'll go with end/vit along with some more attunement slots and dex along the way. That shouldn't stretch me too thin. And if I fuck everything up, oh well.

Jonnyflash80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jonnyflash80

Awesome post. I found the upgrade stuff very confusing at first but that chart really helps. Thanks.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shirogane

@McQuinn said:

Armor goes up to +5 and that's it. You can go ahead and assend to +5 or 10 if you want cus you can always buy ore for that. To assend to +6 you have to go to undeadburg black smith, he's the only one who will do it.

Actually tha'ts untrue, Armors go up to 10 still. There are some armors that can't be upgraded, and the ones that use twinkling titanite only go to +5, but normal armors, whcih use titanite can go to +10, it takes a slab to go from 9 to 10 though, and slabs are pretty godamn hard to find.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By McQuinn

@Shirogane: Yeah I know, I figured that out right after I posted it. It's just that all the armor I think is worth while is twinkling.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By metalmoog

Excellent! Thanks a bunch for posting this!

Edit: Do we have a higher res version of this chart available? The text in the bottom boxes is unreadable.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By imsh_pl
    @MetalMoog: Just click the image to enlarge, it should be a bit more readable then.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shirogane

@McQuinn said:

@Shirogane: Yeah I know, I figured that out right after I posted it. It's just that all the armor I think is worth while is twinkling.

In terms of stats or looks? Cause at +10, a lot of that stuff has way better stats than the +5s, some of it doesnt though, it's a bit strange.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chummy8

What's the advantage of going down the crystal upgrade path? I know crystal boosts damage, but lowers durability. Plus, you can't repair it. Sounds like if you go down that path, your favorite weapon/shield will soon be worthless.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bkbroiler

Anyone got any recommendations for a good divine weapon? I have a dex/str build right now, but it doesn't really matter. I'd like to try a weapon out for the catacombs that isn't a spear.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chummy8

@bkbroiler said:

Anyone got any recommendations for a good divine weapon? I have a dex/str build right now, but it doesn't really matter. I'd like to try a weapon out for the catacombs that isn't a spear.

I haven't gotten down there yet, since I'm still figuring out how I want to play. But don't blunt weapons shatter skeletons? I know the big guys near firelink shattered when I maced 'em good. So, try the morningstar, it's available at firelink in a treasure chest.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bkbroiler
    @TekZero I think I have one already! Thanks. That's a nice change of pace.
    McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McQuinn

@bkbroiler: I personally really like the halberd. But, can you explain your dex/str build? How far are you cus it doesn't sound like it you have many options.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bkbroiler

@McQuinn: I'm level 50, and I just finished Anor Londo. I have been kind of allocating my stat points into whatever I see fit... strength and dex for when I need to equip something, vitality and endurance mostly, and some attunement for my pyromancy. I could really equip anything I guess.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Syndrom

so to get a lighting weapon i have to modify a +5 standard weapon right? as in get a standard up to +5 and then change it into a lighting?

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By McQuinn

@Syndrom: No, it needs to be +10

@bkbroiler: Well, if you can equip zweihander, that thing is pretty nice. If you are running through the catacombs to the summoner guy instead of using a blessed weapon, I would recommend a quick damaging weapon to kill those guys fast before skeletons catchup and gang up on you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.