Upgrading Scimitar to +10

#1 Posted by LOCKETHETHIEF (17 posts) -

I'm currently playing a wanderer and trying to get a scimitar to +10 so I can get the Fury Sword when I get to that point in the game. I've been upgrading through Andrei in the Parish and I am now unable to get any higher than +5. It doesn't even give me an option to upgrade anymore. Is there something I need to do to get to +10?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Bogitt (201 posts) -
#3 Posted by azrailx (338 posts) -

need the special ember that lets u upgrade past +5

its found in the depths behind the butcher, and need to be given to the church blacksmith

at least i think so

#4 Posted by LOCKETHETHIEF (17 posts) -

That makes sense, didn't even think of that, thanks guys.

#5 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1036 posts) -

@azrailx said:

its found in the depths behind the butcher, and need to be given to the church blacksmith

at least i think so

Yup, that's it.

#6 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@MagusMaleficus said:

@azrailx said:

at least i think so

Yup, that's it.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. You go to modify equipment to get it past +5. My bad.

#7 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

@xobballox said:

@MagusMaleficus said:

@azrailx said:

at least i think so

Yup, that's it.

What the hell? I'm having the same problem as the OP, but I turned that ember behind the butcher (the one in the chest right beside the butcher?) in to the church blacksmith.

To go from +5 to +6 you need to choose 'Modify weapon', not 'Reinforce weapon'. After it's +6, you can reinforce it again, up to +10, after which you have to modify again to make it anything better.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Bogitt said:

PM this lady; TaliciaDragonsong, think she is using a scimitar as well

Ha, I felt drawn to this topic!
I got all my info from Chop in the beginners topic tho, he's a informed fella!

Scimitars for life!
#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Timing said:

@xobballox said:

@MagusMaleficus said:

@azrailx said:

at least i think so

Yup, that's it.

What the hell? I'm having the same problem as the OP, but I turned that ember behind the butcher (the one in the chest right beside the butcher?) in to the church blacksmith.

To go from +5 to +6 you need to choose 'Modify weapon', not 'Reinforce weapon'. After it's +6, you can reinforce it again, up to +10, after which you have to modify again to make it anything better.

Thanks! I just noticed that after going back to the blacksmith to upgrade my great axe. Glad it didn't glitch up for me, I would be pissed :P

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: Is an upgraded Scimitar better than the drake sword? because I really like my old Scimitar, but there is no reason to use it at the moment.
#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:
@TaliciaDragonsong: Is an upgraded Scimitar better than the drake sword? because I really like my old Scimitar, but there is no reason to use it at the moment.
If you're dex build, yep.
I can't even wield the thing properly since I got so little Strength.
Scimitars benefit a lot from Dex, so for me its working out very well.
Gonna upgrade to +10 tonight probably, got a Divine scimitar and normal +5 now, they serve me very well.
#12 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

So, I just got the ember to the blacksmith and have had my scimitar at +5 for a while. Though it says I need a LARGE titanium shard? Where exactly would I get one? All the regular shards I just bought from him.

Also an unrelated question, is there an easy way to get humanity? I like being human for the most part "and I want to kindle ALL the damn fires" but I'm running out of stock.

#13 Edited by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

@TobbRobb:Farm rats. They drop humanity fairly commonly.

#14 Posted by Tenryu (44 posts) -

@TobbRobb: You can actually purchase them fairly easily for 4k each from the merchant in Sen's Fortress assuming you farm it up a bit ;3 As for humanity, supposedly plague rats give some of the better drops on humanity. They tend to actually grant you humanity once in a while as well as give you a humanity drop. The rate isn't spectacular, but they have given me both types confirmed.

#15 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -
@MentalDisruption: @Tenryu: Thanks, I've seen rats drop humanity sometimes, but i haven't really found a good spot to farm them. Is Sen's fortress close to where I am? I just killed the butcher in the depths. And do any enemies drop the large titanium?
#16 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

@TobbRobb: The depths has a room with a ton of rats. You'll hit it eventually. It's kind of close to the bonfire near the boss.

#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:
@MentalDisruption: @Tenryu: Thanks, I've seen rats drop humanity sometimes, but i haven't really found a good spot to farm them. Is Sen's fortress close to where I am? I just killed the butcher in the depths. And do any enemies drop the large titanium?
I remember getting some large shards from someone in the sewer, first I encountered them anyway.
I used one large shard to get my scimitar to +6 but now its not upgradeable anymore in the menu, so I'm thinking +7 will need two or three large shards, that's expensive yo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.