Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Upgrading weapons and starting weapon

BillWhiskey601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm playing as a wanderer and am maxing Dexterity. I'm level 40ish and currently making my way through Sen's fortress. I'm still using my starting weapon(scimitar) as my main and it's upgraded to Raw +4. The scimitar has Dex scaling and Raw weapon have less stat scaling than normal. At what point ( if at all) should i revert back to normal from raw to get the scaling benefit? Or should I start upgrading another curved sword ( like falchion)? Is it "normal" to still be using your starting weapon at this point? I've picked up ALOT of new weapons but few that had Dex scaling.

Hengst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hengst

Kill the undead merchant in undead burg. He drops a katana.

And raw weapons are mostly useless (for a dex build, at least).

BillWhiskey601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hengst: I've got that katana but don't have the STR to 1 hand. Prefer upgraded Scimitar to it

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hengst said:

Kill the undead merchant in undead burg. He drops a katana.

And raw weapons are mostly useless.

There's another katana you can try out in Blighttown. You have to take a running jump off the catwalks to get it.

Hengst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hengst

You could get a balder side sword. The balder knights at the top of sen's fortress drop them. It's the weapon I used on my dex build through NG+3. You may have to level your strength, but its moveset is worth it.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hengst: I've got that katana but don't have the STR to 1 hand. Prefer upgraded Scimitar to it

Get your strength up enough to use it, that katana kicks some serious ass, especially once you get it to +15 then you are a god. I played a dex build myself last time through and holy crap am I loving that sword, new game + is starting to get a bit rough but that is expected.

BillWhiskey601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nok@hengst Thanks guys. On your advice I'll give the Umigata (or whatever) a shot. I'll look out for Blader side sword drops too. I won't be Rawing any more weapons. Try some other upgrade paths.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@billwhiskey601: Definitely do a Normal upgrade path, Raw is inferior in almost every way. And you can upgrade whatever weapon you like most. The power difference between a balder sword/uchi/scimitar isn't very big and you will always do better with a weapon you are used to and like. Reverting the scimitar is definitely not a bad idea.

BillWhiskey601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BillWhiskey601

@tobbrobb That's what I was wondering. So reverting is a way to go with the Scimitar? I completely agree with you on being comfortable with your weapon. Thanks for the advice.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raw weapons are the worst.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soldierg654342

Raw weapons offer more damadge at the start of the game, but are quickly outclasses by the Normal route. If you have the Large Ember, you should revert back to the Normal path as soon a possible and upgrade your weapon to +10.

Save for a small handful of weapons, every weapon is perfectly viable. The Falchion (the other main curved sword) does (a little) more damage than the Scimitar, but weighs more, so if it is going to put you over to the next roll speed, stick with the Scimitar. If you have weight to spare though, there's no reason not to get more damage.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

yeah, everything I hear about raw weapons make them sound like the worst thing imaginable. Revert that thing and go up the normal route. I'm on my first playthrough and also chose wanderer, still haven't dropped my scimitar and don't see myself doing so anytime soon (though this katana thing sound intriguing).

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The good thing about the scimitar is that once you clear out Sen's and get to Anor Londo is that at +10, you can use Quelaag's soul (if you haven't cashed it in yet) to make Quelaag's Furysword at the Giant Blacksmith. B Dex Scaling isn't that bad and the fire damage makes S&O much more manageable.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@tobbrobb said:

@billwhiskey601: Definitely do a Normal upgrade path, Raw is inferior in almost every way. And you can upgrade whatever weapon you like most. The power difference between a balder sword/uchi/scimitar isn't very big and you will always do better with a weapon you are used to and like. Reverting the scimitar is definitely not a bad idea.

This is some good advice I just really love the attacks on the Uchi but if the Scimitar is your thing do it my man.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Definitely don't feel like you need to switch to a more 'advanced' weapon. I finished the game my first time using, for the most part, a Divine Longsword. I actually had like three different longswords for different occasions, because I just really liked the moveset and simplicity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.