Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Voice Chat will be removed from both versions...Deal with it.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Edin899

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Edin899 said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Edin899: I have an Xbox, I play on it every once and a while. I have friends on skype, I talk to them daily WHILE playing games. I get that part completely. Having relationships with friends is great, but what I'm saying is that just telling people to do something won't mean they're going to do it. Telling people to not play the game with their headsets in doesn't mean they're going to. That means they're ruining the game for themselves and they're not getting the full experience out of the game.

Dude....

The people that say ''They do it for the experience''' are the same people that would NOT put on a headset and go into party chat.

So they would not ruin it. And what kinda game is this where 1 party chat ruins the entire game?

A game where you're trying to immerse yourself. Something that the first Demon's Souls did great at.

So what you are really saying is that the developers don't trust us to NOT join party chats while playing the game and that we have no free will?

Ok

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By Joeyoe31
    @rebgav That's true now that I think about it.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#203  Edited By hinderk

My guess is that the decision to not allow party chat has less to do with immersion and more to do with their decision to not include an in-game voice chat system. They made a design decision to not allow people to talk to each other in-game. Party chat allows you to get around this so they decided to remove it from the game. I never use party chat while playing single player games so it doesn't bother me, but I can see why it might bother some people.

FluffyZombeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By FluffyZombeh

Thank goodness for having friends on Skype that are gonna play with me.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#205  Edited By krisgebis

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Edin899 said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Edin899: I have an Xbox, I play on it every once and a while. I have friends on skype, I talk to them daily WHILE playing games. I get that part completely. Having relationships with friends is great, but what I'm saying is that just telling people to do something won't mean they're going to do it. Telling people to not play the game with their headsets in doesn't mean they're going to. That means they're ruining the game for themselves and they're not getting the full experience out of the game.

Dude....

The people that say ''They do it for the experience''' are the same people that would NOT put on a headset and go into party chat.

So they would not ruin it. And what kinda game is this where 1 party chat ruins the entire game?

A game where you're trying to immerse yourself. Something that the first Demon's Souls did great at.

By that logic a kinect controller should be mandatory. To check that people weren't using skype or having company IRL. Also to check light levels in the room, not being able to start the game unless they are low enough, so you really can immerse yourself.

Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@Krisgebis: Start up the game

Message pops up "oh i'm sorry you cannot play the game you do not have a surround sound you cannot be fully immersed, now shutting down the Xbox."

Cannot return due to open package

And such is life in the future of immersion only games.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Joeyoe31
    @Krisgebis Thank god I'm getting the Ps3 version then.
    Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@Joeyoe31: Nah you will just have to buy a move and place the glowing controller on your lap.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Joeyoe31

I'm just saying that the developers are trying to make an experience for the people who want to immerse themselves in it. For the people who want to talk to other people while playing, either get skype or tough shit.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#210  Edited By OldGuy

I hate first person shooters. And I hate that developers don't let me play them in third person!

Look, if you can't live without -Fill in the blank- Chat in one game, don't buy it. Is it stupid to remove it? Not to From Software, and it's their game, so it's not. Is it stupid for you to cancel your pre-order because of it? Nah, since it twists your buttons the wrong way. They think it will be better without it, you don't agree, such is life.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Joeyoe31
    @Scrap_Metal Fuck! Thought I got away.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#212  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Joeyoe31 said:

I'm just saying that the developers are trying to make an experience for the people who want to immerse themselves in it. For the people who want to talk to other people while playing, either get skype or tough shit.

On X-Box people paid for the ability to talk to others.

Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@Joeyoe31: I think the problem with that kind of thinking is that making people who want to talk to each other on different games using partychat for a service they already pay for. And saying the solution is to buy a laptop if they already don't have one is stupid. There shouldn't need to be a solution/work around to a problem that shouldn't exist for customers that already pay for that very service.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Joeyoe31
    @Scrap_Metal Hey man you're right but like I said before. Tough shit.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Scrap_Metal Hey man you're right but like I said before. Tough shit.

People have the right to complain about it as long as they aren't assholes.

"Hey man I paid for that feature and you want to take it away?" is not being assholish. It's their right.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Joeyoe31

@SethPhotopoulos: Yeah. Nothing wrong with that.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#217  Edited By metalmoog

@rebgav said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

You can't be forcibly immersed. If people want to talk while playing games that's their concern, Microsoft shouldn't allow developers to disable system-level functions. Making an exception for a small Japanese developer with a poor commercial track record on the 360 is just bizarre.

This is exactly it. rebgav nailed it.

I cancelled my Dark Souls preorder yesterday and preordered RAGE instead.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#218  Edited By sixpin

Glad I saw this. Guess I'll be passing on this game too. Shame, I was curious about it, but I kind of want to ability to talk to my friends/family while doing grind-ish crap.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Joeyoe31

@sixpin said:

Glad I saw this. Guess I'll be passing on this game too. Shame, I was curious about it, but I kind of want to ability to talk to my friends/family while doing grind-ish crap.

But it's stuff like this I don't get. I get you can't talk to your friends/family but this seems too good of a game to just pass up over such a silly thing.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Joeyoe31 said:

@sixpin said:

But it's stuff like this I don't get. I get you can't talk to your friends/family but this seems too good of a game to just pass up over such a silly thing.

He was only curious and it is a niche game. I can't really speak for him but if I was only marginally interested and then something like that come up I wouldn't buy it because I don't know what else they would take out for "immersion".

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#221  Edited By sixpin

@Joeyoe31: To you it is silly. To me it is annoying. Removing a pretty common occurrence from my game playing habit... I don't like it. The game doesn't look good enough to me to allow a developer that level of control over my experience.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By SlasherMan

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the fact that they've not really allowed an option for proper co-op play with a partner. I'd love to go through this game with a friend without all of the hassles involved in achieving the same feat in Demon's Souls. I do understand all their reasons for this game being the way it is, and in a sense I see where they're coming from. But it still would have been nice to at least have the option, at the very least to appease the numerous fans who requested it.

That said, it's not a deal breaker. Voice chat is also not an issue, my PS3 is sitting right next to my PC (and if it weren't, I still have a laptop) and there is such a thing as Skype/Teamspeak/Vent/etc. I wouldn't use in-game voice chat even if it was available, personally.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By McShank

Voice chat is crap unless its to specific people that you invite and even then its only good for certain games, like Dead island :D Otherwise who cares about voice chat in dark souls.. Demon's souls never had it, so why should dark souls have it for 360 when ps3 never had it for demon's and was never added in the new features for dark? Red Husker is a retard who thinks hes a god of the 360 so screw him and his little whining about how since he pays for internet for his games that he deserves anything he so wants.

Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@Joeyoe31: Rewarding a Developer that takes away something that they already pay for is rather stupid. Hopefully they go back on this and allow private and Partychat because then that has no effect at all to people who don't want voices ingame.

Even though they could just not use a mic. I wonder if they will also force achievement pop ups as well.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@McShank said:

Voice chat is crap unless its to specific people that you invite and even then its only good for certain games, like Dead island :D Otherwise who cares about voice chat in dark souls.. Demon's souls never had it, so why should dark souls have it for 360 when ps3 never had it for demon's and was never added in the new features for dark? Red Husker is a retard who thinks hes a god of the 360 so screw him and his little whining about how since he pays for internet for his games that he deserves anything he so wants.

Why should a developer have the right to remove features from a paid service like X-box Live that they had nothing to do with? Why should people be happy that they are limiting options for the player when there was no need? Why should it bother you that other people are using voice chat?

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Joeyoe31

@SlasherMan said:

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the fact that they've not really allowed an option for proper co-op play with a partner. I'd love to go through this game with a friend without all of the hassles involved in achieving the same feat in Demon's Souls. I do understand all their reasons for this game being the way it is, and in a sense I see where they're coming from. But it still would have been nice to at least have the option, at the very least to appease the numerous fans who requested it.

That said, it's not a deal breaker. Voice chat is also not an issue, my PS3 is sitting right next to my PC (and if it weren't, I still have a laptop) and there is such a thing as Skype/Teamspeak/Vent/etc. I wouldn't use in-game voice chat even if it was available, personally.

This is me.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Joeyoe31

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@McShank said:

Why should a developer have the right to remove features from a paid service like X-box Live that they had nothing to do with? Why should people be happy that they are limiting options for the player when there was no need? Why should it bother you that other people are using voice chat?

And who the hell is Red Husker?

Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@McShank: But Xbox live users PAY to use. (Partychat Which is when groups of people can chat no matter what game they are on). It has no effect at all in game if you are in partychat no one can hear you in game if they are not in that party. so why it is disabled is madness.

Just because it doesn't affect YOU doesn't make it a non issue.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By hinderk

@Scrap_Metal: Like I said earlier, I doubt that this has anything to do with preserving immersion and more to do with co-op/multi-player balance. The developer purposely decided not to include anyway for players to talk to each other in game. Party chat allow player to get around this decision, so they decided to remove it.

Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@hinderk: So because a few cheat everyone must suffer.

As i said earlier it was stupid in modern warfare 2 and its still stupid now.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By hinderk

@Scrap_Metal said:

Yup. Not saying it's right, just explaining a possible reason behind this decisions.

Scrap_Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Scrap_Metal

@hinderk: Ah i see i'm just kind of mad because it seems that paying for something quite often means nothing, because if i can't use chat in dark souls while playing that game I am basically paying for nothing as that is the only real benefit that Xbox live has over PSN at the moment, can't wait to get enough money to go back to pc.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@hinderk said:

@Scrap_Metal said:

Yup. Not saying it's right, just explaining a possible reason behind this decisions.

That would be odd seeing as how there will be a mini-strategy guide with the collectors edition.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@CaLe said:

Anyone who needs to talk to others while playing a game to enjoy it is complete imbecile in my honest and holy righteous opinion.

Frankly that opinion is incorrect.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By hinderk

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@hinderk said:

@Scrap_Metal said:

That would be odd seeing as how there will be a mini-strategy guide with the collectors edition.

What does a strategy guide have to do with anything? Not trying to be a dick or anything, just don't understand the point your trying to make.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@hinderk said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@hinderk said:

@Scrap_Metal said:

What does a strategy guide have to do with anything? Not trying to be a dick or anything, just don't understand the point your trying to make.

Talk about cheating when a strategy guide can do the same thing as asking someone else what to do.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By hinderk

I don't think the decision to do this was to stop people from telling other people how to do things. I think it was to stop people form doing things like telling all other players in a group the location of the black phantom, where an enemy is , or when they need help. I think the developer purposely made it so the groups would be clumsy and uncoordinated. Again not saying that they are right for doing this, just saying why I think they did it.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By matiaz_tapia

@SethPhotopoulos: Well, there is the world invasion feature to be concerned about. I believe the restrictions are more about possible abuse of this feature. Remember, Demon Souls was a competitive MP, as well as Dark Souls will be.

Having a Black Phantom be in cahoots with you allows for some mayor cheating ( a Black Phantom player can attack enemies and not be attacked back since he's considered to be an enemy as far as the AI goes. He can freely gather as many souls as he pleases or allow a player to go through the entire game untouched). Partnering up with 2+ fully communicational Blue Phantom against Black Phantom invaders would make invading pointless.

A solution to this would be to not have it...which would suck quite a lot. It would be quite a different game as far as the game's rules go, since everything is built around it. ( You can still cheat tho, but shhhhh)

EDIT: I forgot the right names for Black and Blue Phantoms, so I corrected my mistake. Still I wonder what the new names will be for those...I should google that.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Mrsignerman44

A clumsy, uncoordinated and practically silent group of knights fighting against insane enemies with limited communication sounds incredibly immersive and fun. I still fail to see what all the commotion is about.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Nitrocore

I like the idea. I think it's a game that was designed to be played alone without any outside distractions. It reminds me of the time I took my ps3 to my friends house and showed him it. Without the 100% immersion, the game didn't have the same impact on me as it did when I was playing it alone. I know that applies to alot of other games, but this one especially since it it takes up alot of your concentration, and the game is hard enough as it is without chatting to someone at the same time.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Considering I only play with friends online, this sucks. Demon's Souls was incredibly aggravating with no voice chat. I'm still getting the game though so whatever

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Sign

Microsoft says that if a game isn't exactly the same on their system as all others (ie. remove any extra features from other releases) they may refuse to publish and the internet defends them and says it is their right, good job. From Software removes a feature to keep each version the same and to create the atmosphere they wish to have in their game and the internet shits a brick and bitches about forever.

Some days you people make my brain hurt.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Sign said:

Microsoft says that if a game isn't exactly the same on their system as all others (ie. remove any extra features from other releases) they may refuse to publish and the internet defends them and says it is their right, good job. From Software removes a feature to keep each version the same and to create the atmosphere they wish to have in their game and the internet shits a brick and bitches about forever.

Some days you people make my brain hurt.

It's not like the opposite didn't happen.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Questionable

Its a "Feature"

/thread

Or so it would go in my mind, but i know people wont be able to stop biting about this till the game is released and its aplauded with 9/10's all over

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Masha2932
    @Daroki said:

People talking ruins the isolation that the game strives for. That eerie silence from not hearing other people in the game adds to the atmosphere, and if you don't get that, then don't get this.

This.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#246  Edited By Jeffsekai

Why the fuck would you disable party chat for a single player game. This is fucking retarded, won't be buying this now.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Well the developers think party chat will take you out of the experience and ruin the way the game is supposed to be played, I think the fact that they got Microsoft to let them do this is amazing. Shows how much they care about their game.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Masha2932 said:

@Daroki said:

People talking ruins the isolation that the game strives for. That eerie silence from not hearing other people in the game adds to the atmosphere, and if you don't get that, then don't get this.

This.

They could have also included a mute feature and made everyone happy.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By valrog

Voice chat is overrated.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Jeffsekai said:

Why the fuck would you disable party chat for a single player game. This is fucking retarded, won't be buying this now.

Because that's how it is intended to be played, with strangers. If that it whats putting you off this game, you probably wouldn't have liked it in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.