Want Dark Souls on PC? Let Namco know.

  • 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -
#2 Edited by LevelRouter (41 posts) -

Would prolly buy it the second time if the pc version offered incentives like mods and other goodies.

Here's the petition by the way, in case someone missed it in the comments.

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

#3 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

@LevelRouter said:

Would prolly buy it the second time if the pc version offers incentives like mods and other goodies.

Here's the petition by the way, in case someone missed it in the comments.

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

mods probably won't be supported since the games online networking is a big part of the game.. if anything they might let you retexture stuff. But all this is a big "IF" if they end up making a PC port.

#4 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Marz said:

@LevelRouter said:

Would prolly buy it the second time if the pc version offers incentives like mods and other goodies.

Here's the petition by the way, in case someone missed it in the comments.

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

mods probably won't be supported since the games online networking is a big part of the game.. if anything they might let you retexture stuff. But all this is a big "IF" if they end up making a PC port.

I highly doubt they would let anyone be allowed to mess with mods and even textures.  
 
Just because its on PC doesnt mean there will be mods 
 
Also Namco is not the most PC friendly group
#5 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It'd be nice for people to have the option, but I really can't see a game like Dark Souls or Demons Souls finding a suitable home on the PC. A gamepad would more or less be required to play since I can't see the control schemes translating well to M+K at all, and I'd also be concerned about hacking. I mean, it's easy enough as it is to hack console save files and I've run into more than my fair share of invulnerable invaders who set their health to -1, I imagine it would only be worse on PC where stuff like that becomes that much easier.

#6 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@benjaebe: I imagine most serious PC gamers have a gamepad by now, so controls would be a non-issue. You got a point about the cheating, though.

While I'll probably have this game on PS3 soon, I definitely wouldn't object to buying it again for PC if they decide to port it.

#7 Posted by NickTheZombie (53 posts) -

Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I've signed it, and will pass along the link to my Youtube subscribers.

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7589 posts) -

I did before I went ahead and bought the 360 version because I had already given up hope. I'd be more interested in getting them to develop their next big release for PC at this point.

#9 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marz said:

@LevelRouter said:

Would prolly buy it the second time if the pc version offers incentives like mods and other goodies.

Here's the petition by the way, in case someone missed it in the comments.

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

mods probably won't be supported since the games online networking is a big part of the game.. if anything they might let you retexture stuff. But all this is a big "IF" if they end up making a PC port.

I highly doubt they would let anyone be allowed to mess with mods and even textures. Just because its on PC doesnt mean there will be mods Also Namco is not the most PC friendly group

They are not just a non-pc friendly group, I dont think they will EVER even touch the PC for one of their games till it is absolutely necessary. I wouldn't like souls on PC, mainly because the controls would suck without a gamepad.

#10 Edited by LevelRouter (41 posts) -
#11 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@McShank said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marz said:

@LevelRouter said:

Would prolly buy it the second time if the pc version offers incentives like mods and other goodies.

Here's the petition by the way, in case someone missed it in the comments.

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

mods probably won't be supported since the games online networking is a big part of the game.. if anything they might let you retexture stuff. But all this is a big "IF" if they end up making a PC port.

I highly doubt they would let anyone be allowed to mess with mods and even textures. Just because its on PC doesnt mean there will be mods Also Namco is not the most PC friendly group

They are not just a non-pc friendly group, I dont think they will EVER even touch the PC for one of their games till it is absolutely necessary. I wouldn't like souls on PC, mainly because the controls would suck without a gamepad.

I will never understand why people keep bringing up the controls when we're talking about a PC game. Gamepads work on PCs just fine, and a game like this would surely have native gamepad support, so if one doesn't find the KBM controls good enough they can always switch to a controller without any effort.

Also, about your first point, are we talking Namco Bandai or From Software? Well, actually it doesn't matter either way. From did release Ninja Blade on Steam, and Namco is/was the publisher for (off the top of my head) The Witcher 2, Stoked and the upcoming Ridge Racer game which will also be released on PC. It's not as unimaginable as you seem to believe.

#12 Posted by Three0neFive (2291 posts) -

aaaah so fucking giddy at the prospect of this actually haooening aaaaaaaahhhh

#13 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -
@benjaebe said:

It'd be nice for people to have the option, but I really can't see a game like Dark Souls or Demons Souls finding a suitable home on the PC. A gamepad would more or less be required to play since I can't see the control schemes translating well to M+K at all, and I'd also be concerned about hacking. I mean, it's easy enough as it is to hack console save files and I've run into more than my fair share of invulnerable invaders who set their health to -1, I imagine it would only be worse on PC where stuff like that becomes that much easier.

Really? I don't see why it wouldn't work, in fact, if they don't fuck up the mouse control it might even remove some camera frustration.  There are more than plenty of easy to access keyboard keys + mouse thumb buttons.
 
@SlasherMan
And the whole ''Use a gamepad for your PC game'' is such idiotic thing to say. The benefit of playing a game on a PC is that you can CHOOSE between the 2 control schemes.
#14 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@zaglis: And that was precisely my point. You have the freedom to choose between whichever of the two you find preferable.

#15 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

Would gladly buy this for PC. Not that I'm super super optimistic that a port will actually happen, but if it does, I'll be quite pleased.

#16 Posted by Trillian (40 posts) -

I would love to play this on the PC since I to have my gaming PC hooked up to the living room TV. For me, when it comes gaming, I play the PC a little more then the Xbox so this has me VERY interested.

#17 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

Nah, I'm cool.

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

I would love for Dark Souls to come to PC since I don't really play consoles and haven't for a few years. I don't see myself returning to consoles until a new hardware generation.

#19 Posted by Asinies (35 posts) -

I think this may happen. The incentive to port to PC has already been detailed to the devs and Namco, and the media is giving this a lot of coverage, thereby sorta unintentionally pressuring the devs to at least look at this seriously.

#20 Posted by pakattak (201 posts) -

@zaglis: The mere fact that you can't independently move in all directions and hit buttons with one hand on a keyboard makes Mouse and Keyboard controls for Dark Souls impossible.

It's fine in most games when it's ok to lift your fingers off of WSAD for a second to hit Q or R, but in Dark Souls, you need to be able to maneuver in all directions at all times.

#21 Posted by Sinkjaer (29 posts) -

@pakattak said:

@zaglis: The mere fact that you can't independently move in all directions and hit buttons with one hand on a keyboard makes Mouse and Keyboard controls for Dark Souls impossible.

It's fine in most games when it's ok to lift your fingers off of WSAD for a second to hit Q or R, but in Dark Souls, you need to be able to maneuver in all directions at all times.

Impossible? Silly talk.

A descent mouse have plenty of buttons and you hand on the keyboard still have the thumb free for a couple of buttons.

Your pinky also if you have a little more dexterity than me.

If you need to perform even more this while moving add a modifier function to a button like the Assassins Creed series.

These games controls awesome with M&K if the buttons are configured prober.

#22 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

If they put this on the PC, I can only forsee it running like complete shit. I'd love a good version, but you guys better keep your expectations low if they ever decide to port it.

#23 Posted by AssInAss (2621 posts) -

Did my part, even though already have the game for 360.

Finally Blight Town won't be a blight of a framerate! XD

#24 Edited by Iron_Tool (220 posts) -

I have asked for this 4 months ago and created a petition then.... http://www.giantbomb.com/dark-souls/61-32697/dark-souls-on-pc/35-511236/ Guess I didn't get the 'right' attention.. :(

#25 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

But they wont put it on PC. The site update says it was just a rumour.

#26 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

It most likely won't happen. I'd rebuy it for the PC assuming it was a good version. I also know a couple friends who really enjoyed playing my copy of Dark Souls, but they only game on PC.

#27 Posted by onarum (2066 posts) -

Not gonna happen, if it ever does it will be in like a year and probably handled by some third party which will yield a crappy port not worth the effort.
 
Seriously if you want to play it just buy a effin console already, they're pretty cheap, hell get a PS3 and play Demons Souls as well.

#28 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

Nice nice. Too bad giant bomb hasn't made a news bit about it like others. C'mon vinny

#29 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

@sandwich_adjustment said:

Nice nice. Too bad giant bomb hasn't made a news bit about it like others. C'mon vinny

Vinny? I think you mean Patrick.

#30 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@sandwich_adjustment said:

Nice nice. Too bad giant bomb hasn't made a news bit about it like others. C'mon vinny

Vinny? I think you mean Patrick.

Vinny has a PC and likes Dark Souls

Patrick does neither.

Also come on guys....just grab a PS3...

#31 Posted by bumbaloe (1 posts) -
#32 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

I've already signed it earlier today even though I have it on PS3. The amount of signatures it currently has is encouraging too. But really, this type of RPG would really appeal to the PC crowd.

#33 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -
@bumbaloe: He forgot to meantion that from software is working on many tittles now. that if they would port it, it would not be them but some other devs who would probably make it bad on mouse and keyboard. 
Instead of bitching about it coming to pc why not buyin it on xbox or ps3?
#34 Posted by august (3836 posts) -

I have a feeling the multiplayer would totally fucked.

#35 Posted by bybeach (4792 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

It'd be nice for people to have the option, but I really can't see a game like Dark Souls or Demons Souls finding a suitable home on the PC. A gamepad would more or less be required to play since I can't see the control schemes translating well to M+K at all, and I'd also be concerned about hacking. I mean, it's easy enough as it is to hack console save files and I've run into more than my fair share of invulnerable invaders who set their health to -1, I imagine it would only be worse on PC where stuff like that becomes that much easier.

I was wanting to comment about this with a polite don't care, but I see the point in PvP. i guess I am still uncomfortable with this game having such a large dimension of PvP and not just being something you could turn off without too much consequence. The very problem of PvP is manifested by this concern. Others will want it to be involved also whether I do or don't. The control scheme I would like to be confronted by that problem actually, but if I really do need a game controller, that is practically part and parcel of PC gaming these days.

#36 Posted by Narx (173 posts) -

/Signed

Altought I am scared to death about that game, mabye the keyboard/mouse combo would make me want to play it more. Would that game benefit from that?

#37 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

i'll wait to buy it if it gets a PC version. if not, i'll probably just get demon's souls and dark souls for ps3

#38 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@Akeldama said:

@sandwich_adjustment said:

Nice nice. Too bad giant bomb hasn't made a news bit about it like others. C'mon vinny

Vinny? I think you mean Patrick.

Vinny has a PC and likes Dark Souls

Patrick does neither.

Also come on guys....just grab a PS3...

Not quite my point. Vinny is a video producer at Whsikey Media. Patrick is the Giant Bomb in house news editor. See many Vinny articles? Didn't think so.

#39 Posted by ArjanN (123 posts) -

The petition has 42,817 signatures right now.

@pakattak said:

@zaglis: The mere fact that you can't independently move in all directions and hit buttons with one hand on a keyboard makes Mouse and Keyboard controls for Dark Souls impossible.

It's fine in most games when it's ok to lift your fingers off of WSAD for a second to hit Q or R, but in Dark Souls, you need to be able to maneuver in all directions at all times.

Nah, there's nothing in Dark Souls that couldn't work on mouse and keyboard with some work.

Online
#40 Edited by emem (1965 posts) -

45,011
 
I would definitely buy it... sign it guys.

#41 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@ArjanN said:

The petition has 42,817 signatures right now.

@pakattak said:

@zaglis: The mere fact that you can't independently move in all directions and hit buttons with one hand on a keyboard makes Mouse and Keyboard controls for Dark Souls impossible.

It's fine in most games when it's ok to lift your fingers off of WSAD for a second to hit Q or R, but in Dark Souls, you need to be able to maneuver in all directions at all times.

Nah, there's nothing in Dark Souls that couldn't work on mouse and keyboard with some work.

Nah, DS wouldn't really work with M/K controls. It may not look complex but DS's control scheme is kinda special and keyboard movement just isn't precise enough for this game.

#42 Posted by geirr (2536 posts) -

I always got the feeling it was a PC game, it had just gotten lost and somehow wandered on to the consoles.

Signed.

#43 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

@ArjanN said:

The petition has 42,817 signatures right now.

@pakattak said:

@zaglis: The mere fact that you can't independently move in all directions and hit buttons with one hand on a keyboard makes Mouse and Keyboard controls for Dark Souls impossible.

It's fine in most games when it's ok to lift your fingers off of WSAD for a second to hit Q or R, but in Dark Souls, you need to be able to maneuver in all directions at all times.

Nah, there's nothing in Dark Souls that couldn't work on mouse and keyboard with some work.

Nah, DS wouldn't really work with M/K controls. It may not look complex but DS's control scheme is kinda special and keyboard movement just isn't precise enough for this game.

You are wrong, mouse and keyboard controls are "always" more precise than sticks, in every game... it may be more fun for you (and maybe even me, I don't know how it would feel with m&k) to play with a gamepad and maybe you can't imagine how it would control with mouse and keyboard, but it's not a matter of taste. The fact that you have to walk slowly at some locations in the game just means that there would have to be a button for sneaking, which is pretty much standard anyway. 
#44 Edited by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

I would buy it on PC just so I wouldn't have to deal with the shitty framerate on the console version (both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have shitty framerates in different areas). I love that game to death but one of the reasons why I haven't gone back and completed my third character playthrough of that game is because the framerate in certain spots is just really irritating after 100+ hours with the game. Also, considering this is From Software's 8th game on the Xbox 360, the frame rate is really not acceptable especially since the frame rate for Demon's Souls was fine.

As for the difficulty of the port, pretty much any 360 game can be ported to the PC relatively easily. It's just a matter of bug-squashing and optimization. However, the audience for Dark Souls on consoles is already pretty low, and the audience on the PC will probably be substantially lower.

#45 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@emem said:

@CptBedlam said:

@ArjanN said:

The petition has 42,817 signatures right now.

@pakattak said:

@zaglis: The mere fact that you can't independently move in all directions and hit buttons with one hand on a keyboard makes Mouse and Keyboard controls for Dark Souls impossible.

It's fine in most games when it's ok to lift your fingers off of WSAD for a second to hit Q or R, but in Dark Souls, you need to be able to maneuver in all directions at all times.

Nah, there's nothing in Dark Souls that couldn't work on mouse and keyboard with some work.

Nah, DS wouldn't really work with M/K controls. It may not look complex but DS's control scheme is kinda special and keyboard movement just isn't precise enough for this game.

You are wrong, mouse and keyboard controls are "always" more precise than sticks, in every game... it may be more fun for you (and maybe even me, I don't know how it would feel with m&k) to play with a gamepad and maybe you can't imagine how it would control with mouse and keyboard, but it's not a matter of taste. The fact that you have to walk slowly at some locations in the game just means that there would have to be a button for sneaking, which is pretty much standard anyway.

Wrong. Aiming with a mouse is more precise but keyboard movement controls are way less precise than the analog stick-movement (only eight directions, no pressure sensitivity).

Did you even play the game? It looks like you don't know how the controls in DS work at all.

And you don't need to tell me how PC controls feel. I started playing PC games more than 15 years ago (edit: more like 20 years, man time goes by fast).

#46 Posted by DarkShaper (1326 posts) -

I don't want to play it either way, but we get so few video game petitions that aren't bitchy or dumb so I'm all for this.

#47 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I simply want this game on PC as I haven't got any other platform to play the game on at the moment and I'm not planning on getting a console any time soon. Consider me a supporter for this petition regardless of its effectiveness (or potential lack thereof).

#48 Edited by gike987 (1752 posts) -

It's far from impossible to make Dark Souls work on PC.

Example control scheme:

WASD = Movement

Mouse = Camera

F = Two-Hand weapon

E = Action

1, 2, 3, 4 = Cycle Spell, items, weapons

Q = Use Item

Space = Sprint/Backstep/Jump

Alt = Walk

LMB = Attack

Shift + LMB = Heavy Attack

RMB = Guard

Shift + RMB = Parry

MMB = Lock target

Esc = Menu

#49 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@gike987 said:

WASD = Movement


Shift + RMB = Parry

These are the biggest issues. In DS, you don't turn your character with the camera (right stick / mouse) but with the movement controls (as opposed to the aiming controls). Having only 8 directions would be a serious drawback because the game demands such a high degree of precision.

And the Parry thing with a combined input would ne less than ideal as well because of the exact timing that is necessary with this move.

#50 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@TheHBK said:

Nah, I'm cool.

ya

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.