Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

What a bad Collectors Edition...

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joeyoe31

Let's get this out of the way now, the game works fine. It's great, I love it. From Software put the same level of detail and awesomeness as they did Demon's Souls and that's great and all....

But my copy of the CE man, first the slip cover doesn't fit. That might be due to the case being warped due to heat of the package but it's shit either way. Second, the art book's seam/spine is all kinds of fucked up and the damn thing doesn't like to turn because of it. Also some of my pictures are either messed up or there's glue all over them. And third, who the hell decided that this residue heavy sticker was a good thing to put on a tin case/slip cover, I mean come on. Every time I touch the damn thing my hands get sticky and from a collector's perspective it ruins the value.

Is mine the only one this messed up?

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GrayFox666

mines the same. I dont really care considering i paid the same I would of for the regular game, but ya its really badly put together.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I fucking hate when they put stickers on the actual boxes. Just put it on the damn shrink wrap. Same with when there is some DLC code, or some collectible lenticular thing inside, that you barely care about, but there is a giant as yellow star on the box that says limited edition blah blah... Just give me my clean uncluttered box art.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By EthanielRain

I don't like being a pessimistic asshole, but after buying a couple collector's editions I've come to the conclusion that they're all just cheap junk designed to get more money out of a series' biggest fans. I realize I've contributed nothing to your thread, but I am sorry you're unhappy with your CE...hope it was one of those free upgrade things and not something you paid extra for? :(

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @EthanielRain said:

I don't like being a pessimistic asshole, but after buying a couple collector's editions I've come to the conclusion that they're all just cheap junk designed to get more money out of a series' biggest fans. I realize I've contributed nothing to your thread, but I am sorry you're unhappy with your CE...hope it was one of those free upgrade things and not something you paid extra for? :(

Its a free upgrade. Chances are they did not pay any more then normal. 
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@EthanielRain said:

Yeah its one of those upgrade things. Also, know that you're not alone. I've long since given up on shelling out for CE's.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DrPockets000

Mine was beautiful and perfect. I made love to it a couple of minutes ago.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@DrPockets000 said:

Mine was beautiful and perfect. I made love to it a couple of minutes ago.

I loled. Sadly, I'm renting this from gamefly until I can buy it so I couldn't preorder the CE.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By N7

That's not swag at all. :(

redjacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By redjacked

It's definitely on the uncomfortable side of shoddy, but it was essentially free, and still managed to be better than the Fable 2 CE!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Wemibelle

Blame Namco.  They published it.
    McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By McDunkin

It was free, mine came from amazon in good condition. You know you can just use the sticker that leaves the residue behind to peel off the glue that gets stuck to the case? Just tap it quickly on the area and the glue will come right off.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grissefar

Yeah Namco is definately not Atlus when it comes to collectors edition but it was $0 more than the standard version so I can't complain.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

Mine was fine save for the damned stickers but it's nothing alcohol couldn't solve.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uniform
    @McDunkin said:

It was free, mine came from amazon in good condition. You know you can just use the sticker that leaves the residue behind to peel off the glue that gets stuck to the case? Just tap it quickly on the area and the glue will come right off.

Yes. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and it does work most of the time. However, sometimes I'll get sticker residue that just refuses to come off. The worst offender is pricetags on used games from Gamestop. For those I put a drop of cooking oil on a Q-tip, dab the sticker residue, wait a few minutes, then wipe the crud off.

@Mordukai said:

Mine was fine save for the damned stickers but it's nothing alcohol couldn't solve.

This is the better option, but unfortunately I don't own any rubbing alcohol.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingofpeanuts

I hate to burst your bubble but collector editions do not have much if any extra value. There are some outliers but since this was a free upgrade and not limited then I don't think this will be one of them.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emergency

Aren't the CE of this game the same price as a normal game? Ie. Its all added value.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

Kinda upset the guide was made as downloadable.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrikeALight

The EU limited edition (Black Phantom Ed. they called it) for Demon's Souls was incredible. Will have to wait and see until tomorrow, but I already know this isn't going to be the same high standard.

superultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superultra

You can't really complain since the CE costs the same as the regular edition. It's just free stuff. If you don't like the extras that much, give it to a friend.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Mordukai said:

I did the same actually just a few minutes ago. Cleaning the case with alcohol/good gone. All the residue is gone, one problem solved

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joeyoe31

@super_ultra said:

You can't really complain since the CE costs the same as the regular edition. It's just free stuff. If you don't like the extras that much, give it to a friend.

But it was from Atlas' special edition for Demon's Souls that made this kinda bad. I mean that edition was AMAZING and was the same price as the launch game. So going into this, most of us had high expectations.

But I completely get what you're saying, free stuff at 60 bucks so we shouldn't complain.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

Im on my phone so I dont have spell check and I cant link, but the best CE I got was for "Record of Agrest War." The game not to my likeing to put it nicely.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By metalmoog

Sucks to hear they aren't as good as you guys expected. Pretty cool that it was a free upgrade though.

The Demon's Souls Collectors Edition was pretty bad too, the ink on the book smudged off all over the place when I held it. Pretty shoddy. They sent out replacements for these books early on, but if you are like me and got the Collectors Edition online later, you are stuck with a crappy smudgy book.

After ordering the collectors editions of Halo Reach, Black Ops and Killzone 3 I too decided that the CE's weren't worth the money and were just extra junk in my house that I'll never use after the initial 5 mins of "Oh wow this is so cool!" wears off.

Regular Editions for me.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Junpei

Just got mine as a gift today and the condition was perfect. Wonder if there was just a bad batch that went out at some point...

viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By viney212

@uniform said:

@McDunkin said:

Yes. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and it does work most of the time. However, sometimes I'll get sticker residue that just refuses to come off. The worst offender is pricetags on used games from Gamestop. For those I put a drop of cooking oil on a Q-tip, dab the sticker residue, wait a few minutes, then wipe the crud off.

@Mordukai said:

This is the better option, but unfortunately I don't own any rubbing alcohol.

A little WD-40 is also a great way to get rid of sticker residue.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marcsman
    @Joeyoe31
    Buy Goop. It will remove that sticky shit instantly. Mine got stuck to the bag that sticky shit was so bad. 
    The CE sucked, no wonder it was free.
    largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By largo6661

it drives me made when collectors editions are shitty. but to be honest you can expect to much when the game is the same price as regular games

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iDarktread

The circular tape pieces on the top and bottom of the case were too sticky. There's residue on the tin, and the plastic cove-

It was free.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McShank

the only CE i have ever been able to get was SC2.. and it turned out to be an ok CE. I wish amazon had sent me my CE of darksouls even if it turned out to have a shitty sticker or not.... :(

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a shame, the Euro version of Demon's Souls had a great little art book/audio cd and fan-made guide come with it for free. Probably the publisher's responsibility. 

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ttocs

You are complaining about a free item. The CE was a free upgrade. They didn't have to do that, it was a nice gesture they did. Sorry it wasn't to your liking but you could have just gotten the standard version.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Marz

I've been having a horrible time downloading the digital items, they keep failing halfway and only download at like 20 kb/s   So due to the fact that i can't get half my items ( which are digital)  I'm kind of in agreement and I'm sort of disappointed.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By morosemode

I live in UK and the Art Book and Box Case were both great quality, so it just sounds like some people got a shody batch shipped to them, which is a shame.

I'm really very impressed with it though, considering I only had to pre-order and not pay extra. I haven't tried the extra discs yet (too busy playing the damn game!) & I knew the guide would be downloadable so I wasn't let down by that. 

They didn't have to do this & if it meant they got alot more pre-orders full credit to them. I wish more game companies would do the same. 

Edit: Like above I've had problems downloading the digital map & guide. The map downloaded fine (just very slowly), but the guide stopped halfway. I'm almost certain it'll be because of huge traffic (on the American launch day I found the site often wouldn't even load, whereas it was fine the day before), so I'd just try again every few hours.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mordukai said:

There's nothing that alcohol can't solve.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By phantomzxro
    @EthanielRain said:

yeah i say its half an half but it was free so i can understand it not having much care put into it. But i have to say the Mass Effect 2 CE was really well presented and had very nice packaging.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By huntad

It's free stuff, so I don't really care.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hatking

Hah... Initially read the thread location as Deus Ex. I was sort of shocked because my CE of that was in great shape. Sorry to hear about Demon Soul's edition. I guess you get what you pay for though; in this case, nothing.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RadixNegative2

My copy just arrived and I think it's really nice. It's really cool of Namco to do a free CE similar to Atlus.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nekroskop

@morosemode

The guide and map is downloadable in the PAL region. That fucking blows. I was hoping for a physical copy.

I may just well shell out for that 12£ strategyguide they have on Play.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Just got my collector's edition in the mail today. I am fine with it considering it was the same price as the standard edition.

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Swaboo

I had my sticky collectors edition box lying around and found that Duct tape works really well to remove that leftover glue from those stickers that came on both end of the box. Just stick it on there and pull it off a bunch of times till theres no glue left.

@uniform: To remove those pricetags from boxes like those gamestop stickers, a hair dryer works great. Just heat it up for a good minute doing circular motions and the sticker will come right off when you try to remove it, leaving no stickiness behind. I had one of those on my Arkham City steelbook and it removed it really well.

Zombiegolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zombiegolden

@Humanity: Not only just DLable... also only 45 pages out of 400 and they made sure all the credit pages were in it... it covered content up to Capra demon and didn't even bother with Hellkite.... as a plus the strategy guide was out of stock like... everywhere and new prints are available late November... I didn't pay more than a usual game still feel screwed though... didn't even bother to play with me man-tits

DecadentPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DecadentPimp

I have the UK version. It can't hold a candle to the Atlus Demon's Souls premium edition, but for £26 courtesy of Tesco deals and for a Scamco effort, it's decent in its own right. Still, there are a few things which irk me:

- the outer box is just thin card, so the little flap at the top gets permanently mangled when you open it

- the low-res, pixelated cover of the art book makes it look a bit cheap despite being hardcover

- the making-of DVD not being a Blu-ray disc is a bit disappointing

All of these are nitpicks at best though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#45  Edited By Humanity

@Zombiegolden said:

@Humanity: Not only just DLable... also only 45 pages out of 400 and they made sure all the credit pages were in it... it covered content up to Capra demon and didn't even bother with Hellkite.... as a plus the strategy guide was out of stock like... everywhere and new prints are available late November... I didn't pay more than a usual game still feel screwed though... didn't even bother to play with me man-tits

Definitely not as good as the original Demons Souls that came with a pretty nifty guide and a decent artbook.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

@EthanielRain said:

This is what I've noticed as well, I think there's exceptions (Halo Reach's middle tier, or the GTA IV one for example) but for the most part, they seem really lazily slapped together at the last minute.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McGhee

I never bought a Collector's Edition that I liked, yet I regret buying one. And that was Fallout 3's with the lunch box and the bobble head.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By biospank

the demon's souls one  is the better collectors edition out there but the european version of dark souls collectors edition aint that bad.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By TheHT

I use a paper towel dabbed in a bit of oil to get off the sticker residue. Worked well enough, and you'll just obvious have to get rid of the oilyness after, but that's easier than trying to scratch the sticker residue off.

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AndyD74

@Mordukai: I know that several swigs of alcohol helps fugly women look better, so I guess it makes sense that it would help the shoddy CE look better as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.