Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

What exactly is the first flame? (story spoilers)

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Can someone please explain to me what exactly they are referring to with the first flame. They say in the intro how Gwyn and the others acquired the Lord Souls I imagine that gives them the powers they have, but then they say Gwyn killed all his knights when he kindled the first flame. Hence the final level being Kiln of the First Flame. Then towards the end of the intro it says how the flame is just barely gone and only embers remain. Then when you beat Gwyn you have the choice to link the fire and rekindle the flame.

I don't understand what the point of the flame is? How is it related to anything they do. It clearly doesn't relate to their power since its obvious they have power. It also can't mean they just don't have fire anymore because clearly there is fire throughout the game. Someone please explain this lol.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By NekuCTR

The first flame was the tool used to rise up against the dragons. Basically it's the origin of all fire in the world (Including the sun) and in theory if that fire should go out then the world would return to a cold formless land. Yes there is fire throughout the game, but everything is still very gloomy (save anor London, but that's thanks to Gwyndoline.) supposedly after you fill the Kiln with flame at the end if the game the surface returns to a golden age, but the cycle will continue when the flame goes out again.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

The flame is supposedly linked to the Lord Souls power. And as it weakened, their power weakened. Gwyn rekindled the flame after it started going out, but then it started to weaken again, and Gwyndolin plots to use you, who are supposed to put out the flame, according to a prophecy, to rekindle it again and restart the cycle.

No idea what the flame does though. But it's central to the story.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

This story spans the world? When you pick up those copper, silver, and gold coins they talk about life in the outside world that uses money instead of souls for currency. I always thought this game was just about Lordoren. I guess though the Undead Asylum isn't there though.

Why does getting lord souls all of a sudden make you have lots of knights, sisters of chaos, and a bunch of people willing to follow you. From the intro they make it sound like they found the souls and then civilization existed, but it seems like it was already there to begin with.

I also don't understand how lighting the flame and I guess bringing the sun back would fix that country. Its a bit beyond repair if you ask me.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

How can there be nothing, then once there was fire people just start coming out of the ground. Then their intelligent, fighting dragons, and ruling the world? Were the dragons just sleeping during all of this? Gwyn finds a lord soul and all of a sudden the dragons are just under attack?

Plus you have to exist in order to be dead or undead in the first place. Apparently bodies were just deep in the earth, or somewhere?

Avatar image for thehermaeusmora
    TheHermaeusMora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By TheHermaeusMora

just read the bible then it will all make sense lol jk

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.