What is the best vertion, PS3 to Xbox 360

#1 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

Just want to know from the giant bomb community what console should I pick this up.

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1661 posts) -

My PS3 copy has been a bit bad framerate-wise at times but that sounds like something present in both platforms.  I played the first one so I felt like getting it on the same platform.
#3 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

PS3 is the superior version, but it's not a night and day difference.

#4 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -
#5 Posted by FluffyZombeh (57 posts) -
#6 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Do you have more 360 controllers or PS3 controllers.

#7 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Either or. Both have the framerate issue but that was in demon's souls so i doubt it will be fixed.. I had demon's so i got for ps3.

#8 Posted by jvdgoot (73 posts) -

Consensus seems to be they're pretty much equal, so it is up to your own personal preference. I prefer the 360 controller to the DualShock 3 so I went with the Xbox version.

#9 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a link to that website that does comparisons like these all the time? Like graphics, framerate, all that stuff. I used to have the URL, but lost it when I changed browser.

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

Do you have more 360 controllers or PS3 controllers.

What does that ma- oh, I see what you did there.

#11 Posted by jvdgoot (73 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a link to that website that does comparisons like these all the time? Like graphics, framerate, all that stuff. I used to have the URL, but lost it when I changed browser.

Digital Foundry, was posted a bit earlier in the thread: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dark-souls-face-off

#12 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

both have frame-rate issue by all accounts. guess this gen of hardware is just struggling to keep up.

such a shame its not on the PC, would look so nice at 1080p/60fps.

but nevermind, i bought the PS3 version as i don't have a 360 any more :(

#13 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@FSFunky: I feel like an idiot now, hehe. Although I remember the website I'm talking about not being a part of Eurogamer, but maybe they were bought up in the period I didn't have the URL anymore? Unless DigitalFoundry always have been a part of Eurogamer, in that case it's someplace else I'm looking for...

#14 Posted by jvdgoot (73 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@FSFunky: I feel like an idiot now, hehe. Although I remember the website I'm talking about not being a part of Eurogamer, but maybe they were bought up in the period I didn't have the URL anymore? Unless DigitalFoundry always have been a part of Eurogamer, in that case it's someplace else I'm looking for...

Yeah, I seem to remember them being a separate site as well. Not 100% sure, though.

#15 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1036 posts) -

Probably the biggest advantage the PS3 version has over the 360 is in the audio department. The 360 version, like all 360 games, only has a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix (which is great). The PS3 version has a 5.1 DTS mix (which, in my humble opinion, sounds a bit better than the Dolby mix); the same Dolby Digital 5.1 mix as the 360 version; and two LPCM (uncompressed) mixes--one 5.1 and one 7.1.

(Note: I'm enough of a sadomasochist to own the game on both platforms. :P )

#16 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

such a shame its not on the PC, would look so nice at 1080p/60fps.

Too true. *sigh*

#17 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -
#18 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

I'm getting mine for PS3 since my Demon's Souls is on there. Brand loyalty I suppose

#19 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

PS3. More people online to play with.

#20 Posted by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -
@shadows_kill said:

Any numbers out there? I'm inclined to believe you are right, but I'd love to see the breakdown.
#21 Posted by Commisar123 (1792 posts) -

All I know is the 360 has framerate issues but I have no idea if the ps3 is any better

#22 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

@shadows_kill said:

Any numbers out there? I'm inclined to believe you are right, but I'd love to see the breakdown.

I thought I saw US sales but apparently not those where Japan sales but I see 0 sales for 360 so it might not be released there?

#23 Edited by Korolev (1706 posts) -

Techwise, they're similar. My brother got the PS3 version simply because 1) there were more people playing it on Playstations (which is understandable since Demon's Souls was only on the PS3) and 2) If we had got it for the 360, we would have had to get gold membership, and we didn't want to shell out for that just for Dark Souls. If you already have Gold Membership, or if you simply don't care about the multiplayer (which is perfectly understandable), then I'd say it's up to you. I would have got the 360 version if it wasn't for the fact that multiplayer isn't free, simply because the 360 controller just feels more... comfortable than the PS3's controller (plus I don't like the PS3's squishy shoulder buttons). But sadly, Xbox Live isn't free. So many games I would have bought for my 360, I got for my PS3, simply because PSN is free (when it works that is, hah!)

#24 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Hey, why even choose? Get both. =P

#25 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -
I have chossen ps3 because I like the controller better and I almost cannot imagine playing on a 360 controller because of RB and LB. But go for the controller you most prefer and the online on the 360 might either be fuilled with black phantoms because of expermentation, but thats not a problem if you are in hallow/undead form.
@ProfessorEss said:
@shadows_kill said:

Its most likelly because of the returning duders who might only have a ps3 and I think that the 360 players don't want to take the time to complete the game, because of the grinding. I am just guessing tbh. but I think there might be a split within the 360 and ps3 crowd.  
#26 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

I picked it up for the 360 due to a slight preference in controller. I think it may have been a mistake, I'm not enjoying the longer 'pull' of the triggers compared to the Dualshock for quickly timed sword swings. Although I still prefer the stick layout on the 360. Another thing I noticed that may have swayed my choice in hindsight, according to my achievement page on GB only 20 players played on XBox... WTF? I would imagine the player base is much larger on PS3, that may make a larger difference in the long run. As for the core game itself, I'm sure they are equally awesome!

#27 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

I'd get it for PS3 myself. Mostly based on the fact that I enjoy playing on my PS3 more, and I played Demon's Souls, and therefore would find the controls more familiar. I think they make more sense on a dual shock, like they said in the Quick Look. But in the end, I hardly think it matters that much, get whatever version you want.

#28 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

I'm tempted to give Demon Souls a try. I'm normally not into hardcore style gaming but the game sounds challenging.

#29 Posted by Marcsman (3196 posts) -

Buy a dictionary first.
#30 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -
@Marcsman

Buy a dictionary first.
I'm surprised it took so long for a mention.
#31 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@Mendelson9 said:

Just want to know from the giant bomb community what console should I pick this up.

Hey man, I got the collectors today, Giantbomb's quicklook of Dark Souls is on ps3, mine is for 360, the framerate is significantly worse than the PS3, this is a simple statement of fact, the framerate on the 360 will significantly impact the quality of your gameplay, I don't know if its because Demons Souls was initially ps3 native, hence the better fps, or just the 360 being 360, I just do not know why. If anyone tells you otherwise, its because they are a massive cunt incapable of discerning between horrifying frame drop causing loss of character control and 2011 60 fps glory (Minimum wage Whiskey Tango internet teenagers seem unable to, its a scientific phenomenon, you will see from all the high quality replies I get.)

#32 Posted by eastcoasteric (58 posts) -

This is a easy one for a few different reasons...

First and foremost, staying true to the series is always a noble thing with games that drive as much passion as Demons Souls did.

So with that said, Dark Souls, being the successor to Demons Souls (which was obviously a PS3 ONLY game) it would be correct to buy it on the same platform.

(Every time I see a 360 copy of Dark Souls it makes me feel weird for some reason, like it just doesn't look right)

Second thing being that From Software developed this game on the Playstation 3 and then ported it onto the 360.

We all know when stuff like that happens...remember how most of the time, PS3 owners got the shaft when it came to games developed on the 360 and then later ported to the PS3? There are frame rate issues, graphical issues and other odd problems always with ports.

But From Software has even said it themselves, the PS3 version while not being dramatically different from it's 360 brethren, is better in terms of how it was designed to play (with the controller) as well as specific texture/lighting effects.

Lastly leaving to be that the PS3 will most likely be the bigger seller of the two, meaning that more people will be online on the PS3 version than the 360 version.

For some reason I just feel that 360 only owners who will pick up this game will end up hating it because of the difficulty level it presents over time.

I've always felt that the Playstation crowd is the more "core" gamer crowd (all fanboyism aside) and that PS owners appreciate games like Dark Souls a lot more than 360 owners...now this isn't going to say that there aren't dedicated core gamers on the 360.

It just tends to be people who only like super mainstream titles that own 360's and that there are people who don't want to have patience and fully explore a game like this, nor play it the way it's meant to be played.

So yup, Playstation 3 version ALL the way!

#33 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

I'm a 360 only owner that loved Demon's Souls. I bought the PS3 because of it. But sold my PS3 2 weeks ago because I grew tired of the shoddy 2nd rate PS3 ports. The 360 experience is better 9 out of 10 times. As far as gaming skill per console goes, I've found the opposite to be true from what you posted. In my experiences playing MW2, BFBC2, & Black Ops online the 360 players were way more of a challenge than the PS3 ones. So in short I think your more "hardcore" audience will be on the 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.