Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

What NOT TO CONSUME in Dark Souls? *Keep it Spoilerfree*

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Having prior knowledge from playing Demon's Souls extensively, I was very careful when I got into the possession of a 'Fire Keeper Soul'. It says the item increases Estus flask potency in its discription. It does, but only when turned in to the right NPC. Consuming it mearly grants +5 humanity and no permanent buffs. Tankfully, I knew something like this would be the case and so I googled it before doing anything with it.

Are there any other souls (or other items) that I should be weary of using just-like-that? In Demon's Souls, some souls upgraded specific weapons or unlocked powerful spells for example. Back then, I found out the hard way when I was 3/4th trough my first playthrough not being able to learn a useful miracle. I hope to avoid such 'surprises' this time around.

So if anything comes to mind, please share.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

For whatever reason, I thought the firekeeper soul would work if i just used it. God. I don't even know. I mean, I should have known, having played an ass-load of Demon's Souls.

So yeah, any specially named souls just like in Demon's Souls, don't consume them until you've really thought it over.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I totally thought that the "Fire Keeper Soul" would work automatically if I consumed it. Thankfully, I decided to not do that as I thought that I'd encounter someone later on that would convert the soul into something far better. I eventually ran into the imprisoned woman and realized that what I thought was wrong.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Sanious

I unfortunately did with my Wanderer character and then found the prisoner that actually upgrades it for you. I recently restarted as a Thief though and know better now.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow

Yeah...I did that too. Luckily (or whatever), I've now realized I want to make a whole new character so I need to restart anyway.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I've noticed that Dark Souls seems to be a little more transparent with this stuff than Demon's was because if you look at the item descriptions for the souls they actually say 'consume for souls or use to make unique weapon' or similar. At least the Moonlit Butterfly soul I'm hanging onto does. And when you try to upgrade the Eustas Flask it tells you you need the Fire Keeper soul so when I got it I knew exactly what to do with it. Unlike Demon's where if you didn't read a faq you'd have no idea you can craft stuff with boss souls.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Nadril
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    I've noticed that Dark Souls seems to be a little more transparent with this stuff than Demon's was because if you look at the item descriptions for the souls they actually say 'consume for souls or use to make unique weapon' or similar. At least the Moonlit Butterfly soul I'm hanging onto does. And when you try to upgrade the Eustas Flask it tells you you need the Fire Keeper soul so when I got it I knew exactly what to do with it. Unlike Demon's where if you didn't read a faq you'd have no idea you can craft stuff with boss souls.
    Yeah they've done it a little better. 
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By McShank

@TheHT said:

For whatever reason, I thought the firekeeper soul would work if i just used it. God. I don't even know. I mean, I should have known, having played an ass-load of Demon's Souls.

So yeah, any specially named souls just like in Demon's Souls, don't consume them until you've really thought it over.

LOL.. i used my first one thinking that it was normal.. Found out after I talked to the lady at firelink shrine i was wrong.. at least i still have another one that i found in my travels.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strainedeyes

Any of the souls you get from a Boss can either be used to form a special weapon or give you a bunch of souls.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiniPato

I'm currently hanging onto all my boss souls. I'm real tempted to use them since I'm feeling painfully underleveled at the moment. But I don't want to miss out on some cool unique weapon :/

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By TerraMantis

The rubbish found near the beginning of the game be given to the new "bird person" near the exit of the asylum...don't get rid of that. Also, dung pie from the big fat executioner-looking guys. They both give you some good ore for crafting.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Sooo..dont eat the sticky white stuff? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.