What Soul Level were you when you beat Dark Souls?

#1 Edited by Aegon (5823 posts) -

I'm trying to plan out which stats I should be spending my souls on and how much I should be leveling them.

If you know your specific stats and can give an explanation on why you built out your character that way, it would be helpful. Also, how many arrows/bolts do I need to cut off Drake's tail?

#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

Fairly high, around 80 I think. I had a bunch of agility and stamina. Honestly I would advise agianst the whole Drake Sword thing. It is a crutch that will hinder you later on when the difficully spikes. After you ring the second bell, every area after that it is useless for. I say learn how the upgrade and stat systems works.

#3 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

If you want to do PvP, most end-game builds end up being around SL120. You can use this pageto plan out a character and see how many souls you'll need and what kind of stats you'll have.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

The stats you want to spend your souls on depends on what items you want to use. Each item has certain stat modifiers and requirements. For instance to use katanas you need lots of DEX. which is the stat I had, agility does not exist in DS. It has been a while.

#5 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

You don't technically need any arrows to cut off the Drake's tail. Be bold and do it using a sword!

...but in case you don't want to do that, I'd say between 20-30.

#6 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

Actually, ignore what I said before and just use this build:

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2795 posts) -

It's normal to be around 80 after finishing the first playthrough. If you want advice for an easy build I'd recommend levelling strength and endurance 50/50 so you can use the big shields and rely on blocking instead of dodging (not good for pvp, but quite effective and much easier than relying on dodging in pve). It also allows you to use the hardest hitting weapons in the game, which can be great for just one-shotting normal enemies before they reach you when you learn the timing (or just insane crit attacks).

If you want a super-easy time though (although sorta boring) you can go heavy int with some endurance and go full sorcerer. Make sure you get the bellowing dragoncrest ring relatively early, and crown of dusk once you feel comfortable. With 3-4 attunement slots you can pretty much get from one bonfire to the next completely relying on spells.

#8 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

First time ever beating Dark Souls I was about Soul Level 87. 40 DEX, Endurance in the high 30's, Vitality in the mid 30's, and a couple of points into faith so I could try to join the sunbros back before they lowered the requirement for it. Used a lightning uchigatana and Queelag's Furysword.

Like other people said, decide what you want to use early and focus on those stats. Heavy weapons tend to require more strength to do more damage, while lighter and quicker weapons use more dexterity. Bows also use dexterity. Catalysts require intelligence and are used for sorcery builds, and talismans require faith and are used for miracles. Sticking points into vitality and endurance is also never a bad idea and you should probably add a few points into each as you level up your other stats if you're going in blind.

Just keep in mind that in most cases, the increase you will get in a particular stat will be minimal after it hits 40, so it's never a good idea to go past that unless you're making a very specific SL 120 build for PVP. And again, if you're playing for the first time, I'd recommend getting faith up to at least 12 just so you have access to the heal spell, which is essentially 5 more free estus flasks without actually using the flask itself. It'll also help you if you decide to co-op with strangers since a lot of people tend to not give a shit about whether you're dying or not, and won't use their own flasks to heal the party.

#9 Edited by pyrodactyl (2343 posts) -

Around 70 for my int build. Some might say that the game is easier that way but they're talking about the mid-late game. It actually makes the early game much more difficult. I'd say I did way better with my heavy strength/fate build (75) on the second play through so don't listen to those all melee elitists, play the game how you want.

#10 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

Well, I know what I'm doing with my next build.

#11 Posted by pyrodactyl (2343 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

this is pretty funny. Still think I could beat him with my lv 76 int build though.

#12 Edited by Aegon (5823 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

this is pretty funny. Still think I could beat him with my lv 76 int build though.

What in the fuck is going on in that vid? When the drop hits and he starts hacking away it's funny, but am I the only one having a hard time discerning what he's saying? Giant armor? Something about a ring? No dexterity?

#13 Edited by pyrodactyl (2343 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

What in the fuck is going on in that vid? When the drop hits and he starts hacking away it's funny, but am I the only one having a hard time discerning what he's saying? Giant armor? Something about a ring? No dexterity?

I'm not sure if it's suppose to make fun of/shame people who use that kind of build but that's what I take away. Giant's armor is the best set, poise and defencewise when fully upgraded. He dosen't put points into strength or dex so he can focus on end and vit. His weapon scales with humanity so it dosen't matter. It's basically a cheap build that focuses on fast movement, high defence and high, wide but slow damage output.

#14 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

My last build was a level 1 when I finished, so if you are worried about your stats being in the wrong place, you shouldn't. For the most part, I think between 60 and 80 are the typical finishing levels for most people on their first playthrough.

You can get the hellkite drake's tail with no more than 50 wooden arrows (the cheapest ones).

#15 Posted by Svenzon (727 posts) -

Around 90, I think. Been a while now.

#16 Edited by golguin (4041 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@Aegon said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

I'm not sure if it's suppose to make fun of/shame people who use that kind of build but that's what I take away. Giant's armor is the best set, poise and defencewise when fully upgraded. He dosen't put points into strength or dex so he can focus on end and vit. His weapon scales with humanity so it dosen't matter. It's basically a cheap build that focuses on fast movement, high defence and high, wide but slow damage output.

It's essentially the Kitchen MoM build with a few changes here and there. The changes with the DLC essentially killed the effectiveness of the build with the flip ring nerf. Back when the build was able to take advantage of the flip ring and fast swing speed for their sword a lot of people complained about it. It's only funny if know the the history of that build, the reaction from people,and it's eventual downfall as the result of fixes through game patches.

The guy made a similar video about something else the DLC brought that had a lot of people complaining about that particular branch of sorcery. I don't know if the counters have propagated through the community enough so that people no longer complain about it. It was the same with the Wrath of the Gods miracle in the early days of the game.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

I think I was 81 the first time, but that character was terribly planned, so that's not too good of an reference.

I think the lowest I beat it on was level 63. Or something in that area. But that dude had amazing equipment.

As for planning. 40 END is the most important, by far. And then just upgrade the SHIT out of your weapon of choice. That is the best source of improved damage. After all that I bring up VIT to 20-25 and then pump points into the stat that gives me damage. Which in my case usually happens to be both STR and DEX, cuz Bastard Sword <3.

Don't forget to put point into weapon requirments when needed etc.

I do this order because damage scaling with stats is terrible early on, so I might as well beef up my health and stamina. While upgrading the weapon lets you pack a punch anyways. There really is no need to rush a lot of strength. Do it like this, and you should have an fairly easy time through the game.

#18 Posted by golguin (4041 posts) -

I believe I was SL 60. I wouldn't worry too much about making a build since you don't even know what type of weapon you'll like. Just increase your stats as you find weapons you'd like to try and then go from there. My first character is a total mess stats wise, but she's able to use all kinds of weapons, sorcery spells, and miracles because of her crazy stats. Once you know what you like you can focus on making a good PVP build for your 2nd character.

#19 Posted by colorbrandon (166 posts) -

I'm always around SL90 because I end up farming for slabs in new londo against my better judgment,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.