What the... that's the ending? *spoilers*

#1 Posted by Bocam (3722 posts) -

Is it really just you beat Gwyn, Lord of Cinder, set yourself on fire, and then the game ends?

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

See, if you beat him without blocking, and get three Toasties during the fight, then Noob Saibot appears, and if you beat him, you get the real ending.

#3 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

Yeah. Makes me wonder what the other ending is like, and if it provides any explanation to the normal one.

#4 Posted by Bocam (3722 posts) -

Has anyone figured out how to get the other ending?

#5 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Has anyone figured out how to get the other ending?

Did you have the pendant?

No one seems to know what this fucking pendant does and it is supposedly story related.

#6 Posted by Bocam (3722 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: I have two pendents, one as a gift and one from killing an undead virgin.

#7 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3074 posts) -

I have heard that you can just leave the room after killing Gwyn and get different endings depending on your covenant.

#8 Posted by Odeeze (31 posts) -

you walk out of the room and a bunch of those serpent guys are there and they start bowing to you and calling you their new dark master

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

According to this wiki the fire ending is the good one, and the walking out of the room is the bad one. I have no clue if that's accurate or not though.

#10 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

According to this wiki the fire ending is the good one, and the walking out of the room is the bad one. I have no clue if that's accurate or not though.

It is true.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

@McShank said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

It is true.

That seems lame then. I mean, this isn't really the kind of game that you expect great story and whatnot, but that's still a pretty lame ending.

#12 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Why do you commit suicide? Haven't played the game, just wondering why you would do that.

#13 Posted by Bocam (3722 posts) -

@thehexeditor: You don't really commit suicide, you just get set on fire.

#14 Edited by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

The word on the street is that you're furtive pygmy, but you don't know that. Why? I don't know. Gwyn actually wanted to save the world with restoring bonfires, the entire game he's using you to fix the world. You go through the game and you beat Gwyn. You restoring the last bonfire saved the world, and the reason you caught on fire was because it would kill the last remaining lord of the world. That's why it's "good". Walking out and not activating the bonfire is basically you "realizing" (not so sure how confirmed this is) that you're furtive pygmy and you leave to go rule the world as the last remaining Lord.

That's my interpretation/what I heard from other people.

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@thehexeditor: You don't really commit suicide, you just get set on fire.

Well, you said set yourself on fire. So do you live after you set yourself on fire?

#16 Edited by Bocam (3722 posts) -

@Axxol:Don't know, it just ends.

#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@Axxol:Don't know, it just ends.

I was expecting something a little more climatic, but I'm still buying it.

#18 Edited by Milkman (16677 posts) -

Setting yourself on fire is the most perfect ending for this game that I could possibly imagine.

#19 Posted by NeoKef (73 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Setting yourself on fire is the most perfect ending for this game that I could possibly imagine.

"Wow, I have beat this game finally! I died like 1000 times and spent 60 hours running around and re-collecting lost souls, but I made it! Wait, what? My character sets himself on fire?! AFTER ALL THAT!!!??? WTF?!?!?!?!"

#20 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Milkman said:

#21 Posted by Vashyron (199 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@McShank said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

It is true.

That seems lame then. I mean, this isn't really the kind of game that you expect great story and whatnot, but that's still a pretty lame ending.

Considering that Demon's Souls ending was just that you put the Demon to sleep or you became it's bitch, this doesn't surprise me.

#22 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

After all the struggles I'm kinda pissed off. Not asking for much here, but damn if that wasn't the shortest dumbest most anticlimactic ending in a looooooong time. Such a great game overall, such a lame ending.

I got the dark one btw and that setting yourself on fire thing sounds even less appealing.

Balls.

#23 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Demon's Souls ending was better.

#24 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

If this game offered anything other than a "fuck you" for completing it, something would not be right. It should delete all your save data immediately upon unlocking the end achievement and eject the disc at your nutsack like a flying buzzsaw.

#25 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

If this game offered anything other than a "fuck you" for completing it, something would not be right. It should delete all your save data immediately upon unlocking the end achievement and eject the disc at your nutsack like a flying buzzsaw.

That's the "true ending"

#26 Posted by IBurningStar (2164 posts) -

The ending is Dark Soul's last jab at you. "Remember all those times that you died and it felt like I was telling you to go fuck yourself? Yeah, well, go fuck yourself."

#27 Posted by PepitoneConQueso (40 posts) -

Demon's Souls didn't have much of an ending/story either.

The lore is really rich but you have to make an effort to understand it, kind of like the rest of the game haha.

#28 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

Wouldn't not linking the first and letting the age of man begin be a better ending than continuing the cycle that Lordran has been in for a while now?

#29 Posted by Smokay (525 posts) -

Actually the Title Card at the end surprised more then the actual ending

#30 Edited by bkbroiler (1621 posts) -

So, apparently the setting yourself on fire is the BAD ending. Becoming the new "Dark Lord" rids the world of all the undead and starts a new age of humanity. And DRAGONS.

The serpent dude who is not Frampt explains it to you. Videos of him talking:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-EFVEtILEY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=auggNRdDCZI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s91Ij3H-qIk

You get the other ending by walking out the way you came in after killing Gywn.

Guy on Gamefaqs writes:

"To sum it up, There was a forgotten Fourth Lord in the old days. The Furtive Pygmy found the Dark Soul, and waited for Gwyn's Age of Fire to end. The time came, and Pygmy attempted to begin the Age of Dark, the Age of Man. Gwyn was fearful of the humans, and sacrificed himself to link the First Flame. (The Gwyn we face in the Kiln is a Hollow)

Gwyn blurred the memories of all of Pygmy's ancestors, including you. You are the inheritor of the Dark Soul, and are the destined one to begin the true Age of Man. The Primordial Serpents are the servants of the Dark Lord (Pygmy), and Frampt was a traitor. He became friends with Gwyn, and attempts to fool the player into re-lighting the Kiln's First Fire."

"Linking the fire means that nothing changes, the world stays as it is because you basically kill Gwyn and take his job. Becoming the Dark Lord ends the age of fire brings about the age of dark, aka the age of men."

Just what I found. I got the Dark Lord ending by walking out immediately after I killed Gwyn to try and get summoned so I could fight him again. Had no idea what was happening.

#31 Posted by DecadentPimp (17 posts) -

Playing Dark Souls for the story is like playing a Mario game for the story - it's just there to give a tiny bit of context to beating the levels / bosses. So it's no surprise really that it ends so suddenly.

#32 Edited by Fribain (81 posts) -

Someone's probably already said this.

I don't know for sure if this is how you get the second ending but here it is: If you kill Four Kings after GETTING the Lord Vessel but BEFORE taking it to the snake guy at Firelink, a second snake guy will appear in the abyss (the same one who allows you to join the darkwraiths). He will notice you have the Lord Vessel and give you an alternative to the Firelink snake proposal. If you agree, he takes you to the Firelink Cavern place where you place the Lord Vessel and you continue to get the other Lord Souls. I haven't beaten the game on the character who's doing this currently, but I certainly will eventually.

#33 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

As others have said, lighting the fire is actually the BAD ending.

#34 Edited by Aldrenar47 (78 posts) -

Basically, you are given the choice to continue the reign of the Gods by lighting the fire, or to side with Man by walking out. By siding with the Gods you continue the Age of Fire, which allows the sunlight/darkness and life/death cycles to continue, and of course keeps them in power so that they may maintain control over humans, but this is a state that cannot be maintained forever. The embers die out eventually and humans become accursed with the darksign, unless the Gods can persuade/deceive another Chosen Undead to sacrifice themselves and continue the Age (assuming there will be another Chosen Undead).

By walking out you become the Dark Lord and begin the Age of Man. The name "Dark Lord" makes you sound like the Devil or something but it really just comes from the fact that you use the Dark Soul discovered by the pygmy. The other Gods used other souls to gain their powers as well, for example Gywn discovered a Sunlight soul and that's why he's Lord of Sunlight. I suppose by starting the Age of Man you rid the world of sunlight, as well as darkness, so it becomes like the ancient age described in the intro where it is a grey land of crags and dragons. Either ending is sort of depressing in that sense, but you didn't really expect Dark Souls to have a totally happy ending, did you? :)

Personally I think the Dark Lord ending is the "good" ending, or at leas the better of the two, because the current Gods didn't really do anything special to deserve their powers and try to deceive you into helping them. They basically happened upon powerful Souls and came to power by unleashing death and fire onto anything that would stop them (watch the game's intro over again if you don't understand what I mean). The pygmy is the only one who resisted the temptation to use the power of the soul he discovered, and instead tried to wait until the other Gods were weakening so that he could help humanity, by starting the Age of Man.

#35 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

My take on the fire is that itsdiverent from "ow, that burns"fire and is just a representation of humanity.

The hero bursting out in flame is him getting engulfed in power making him stronger as a new lord\boss

#36 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@DecadentPimp said:

Playing Dark Souls for the story is like playing a Mario game for the story - it's just there to give a tiny bit of context to beating the levels / bosses. So it's no surprise really that it ends so suddenly.

Closed ending:

Bowzer defeated, mario lives happily ever after with the princess as the mushroom kingdom is saved

Open ending:

You start the age of man as demon's\dragons will slowly grow extinct without fire while humans continue to conquer and reproduce

No Ending:

Spontaneously burst into flames, roll credits

#37 Posted by therightway (13 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

The word on the street is that you're furtive pygmy, but you don't know that. Why? I don't know. Gwyn actually wanted to save the world with restoring bonfires, the entire game he's using you to fix the world. You go through the game and you beat Gwyn. You restoring the last bonfire saved the world, and the reason you caught on fire was because it would kill the last remaining lord of the world. That's why it's "good". Walking out and not activating the bonfire is basically you "realizing" (not so sure how confirmed this is) that you're furtive pygmy and you leave to go rule the world as the last remaining Lord.

That's my interpretation/what I heard from other people.

This is pretty much what me and my roommate decided too. The pygmy is barely mentioned so it is pretty obvious that you are the last lord.

#38 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#39 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Wel to be honest, I expected more from the ending and it did slightly piss me off. Doesn't change the fact that it's one of the best games ever, but a bit more "reward" for the commitment to finish this game would've been appreciated. Did the light bonfire ending first and on my way to the other ending in NG+.

#40 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@McShank said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

It is true.

I like it. It's that sort of grim weird quick ending that works with a story that's really grim and weird. Also the evil ending's pretty awesome from what I heard (not that it's longer or anything). I was headed down that road to the evil ending (sided with Kaathe) but once I saw the bonfire I instinctively ran up to light it only to realize it said "Link the flame" insteal of "Light the bonfire" but then it was too late. Dark Lord my ass.

#41 Posted by Deinos (89 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

@MrKlorox said:

That's the "true ending"

Nah, the true ending is that, in addition to the game red ringing your system. Dark Souls fucked you for hours, fucked up your ending, then finishes by fucking your system and your ability to enjoy any other game :)

#42 Posted by TeamJersey (340 posts) -

After all he references to "masochism" and how painful this game is to the player, self immolation really is the only proper ending.

#43 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I never even seen the bonfire in Gwyn's room, otherwise I would have lit it. So I got the Darklord ending by mistake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.