What's with the atrocious framerate?

#1 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I'm finding it pretty unplayable because of this, the majority of the time I can tell it's not running smooth, and quite a few areas are completely unbearable with what feels like 10-15 FPS.

I may have to shelf the game until this gets sorted out, that is if they even bother, because my OCD just can't let it go.

#2 Edited by Chop (2000 posts) -

Yeah, not sure what it's like on the 360 but it's noticeably bad on the ps3. I've dealt with worse but still really annoying. Every time I walk by that stupid crow, the game slows wayyyyy down.

#3 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

The only area I find consistent frame rate hiccups is the water zone approaching the two phantoms. Demon's Souls also had a problem with frame rate (which seemed a lot worse) when you got to the second act of world 2, but in both cases it hasn't been a problem for me because I play the game at a really slow pace.

#4 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -

Demon's Souls was the same way sometimes.  They aren't going to change it.

#5 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Demon's Souls was the same way sometimes. They aren't going to change it.

Remember the room full of exploding barrels in World 1?

I think it has something to do with the way their tech handles physics. Whenever they kicked in in Demons souls (rolling/breaking objects) things went to shit.

#6 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -

Demon's Souls did it too, but I feel like it's more often in Dark Souls.

#7 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Have not played much, but it didn't take long to notice. When the crow/raven w/e dropped me off after leaving the asylum, the framerate took a nosedive. Oddly enough, it was manageable when I went to enemies, but once I returned to that lone NPC with the well and bonfire, the framerate went bad again. As long as it doesn't hit while in combat, I'm a happy camper.

#8 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

@CaLe: Bethesda sorted out framerate issues with patches for Oblivion, it's no where near as choppy now as it was at launch.

Also I don't think Demon's Souls was nearly as bad about it as this, in Demon's Souls it only seemed to happen when stuff physics'd but here entire areas are completely bogged down, like the Firelink Shrine and New Lando Ruins, so far the framerate has never been smooth in either of those.

#9 Posted by Tophat666 (235 posts) -

Yeah, 360 is kind of the same thing & I have it installed(but it loads so fast, & there is some frame-rate improvement). But I kind of like it when it dips a bit, it feels like "oh crap I really shouldn't be here". It makes me wonder what is causing such a drop, there must be something awesome here.

#10 Posted by handlas (2719 posts) -

Dark Souls feels worse to me. That first area you get dropped into from the crow is horrible. I don't recall it being that bad in Demon's Souls.

#11 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

Has anyone had the framerate dip to zero for a little bit? I wouldn't call it freezing, but my framerate dipped once as I went for a jump attack and the game froze for about 10 seconds while I was in midair.

#12 Posted by GioVANNI (1292 posts) -

Do you guys have the game installed on your system? Would that probably relinquish this problem?

#13 Posted by Milkman (17199 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

What? Why wouldn't they change the bad frame rate? Is that part of the "challenge"?

#14 Posted by McDunkin (321 posts) -

I didn't really mind the hiccups and then I got to the bottom half of Blighttown and it's basically a slideshow the entire time. I'm really glad I have a ton of humanity items stocked up because doing that place solo would be a nightmare.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Milkman

@Spoonman671 said:

What? Why wouldn't they change the bad frame rate? Is that part of the "challenge"?

HA.
#16 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Considering Dark Souls and Demon Souls are rather bland, average looking game, it's quite surprising to see such a bad framerate. Sure, there are some shining spots in the graphics, such has bosses and the blooming skies, but other than that, it's a 2006-2007 looking game.
#17 Edited by Marz (5667 posts) -

I also have the xbox version(installed on hard drive) and the frame rate has been alot worse in a few sections in the beginning than my entire time in Demon's Souls (frame rate drops weren't frequent in that game)... don't know if that's due to bad porting or what... dunno how well the PS3 version runs.  The lighting seems really bad... make the colors look awful at some points... but i'm trekking on.

#18 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1732 posts) -
@Klei: Wrong. Just wrong. 
#19 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

I know that my worst Frame rate came at the spiral tower staircase to the black phantom (Greatsword / shield) by the boar miniboss. I had to kite him down tot he open portion of the area but running down those stairs as he is jumping in and out of sight behind me made things slow down to the point i thought i was gonna be kicked out of the game... (To much pc gaming with shitty internet :( )

#20 Posted by SSully (4276 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Patches can't 'sort out' frame rate issues.

Yes, actually they can.

#21 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@ViciousReiven said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I'm finding it pretty unplayable because of this, the majority of the time I can tell it's not running smooth, and quite a few areas are completely unbearable with what feels like 10-15 FPS.

I may have to shelf the game until this gets sorted out, that is if they even bother, because my OCD just can't let it go.

The game has no load screens...take a look at your hdd or dvd drive lights. In my case whenever there is a slowdown there is something preloading. Similar stuff happened in RDR.

#22 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (717 posts) -

@CaLe: There's no reason why a patch couldn't fix frame rate issues on consoles. They can modify their game to improve frame rate issues by either modifying the game data (Meshes, textures effects, etc.) or by modifying the game executable or binaries.

#23 Edited by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@Kung_Fu_Viking said:

@CaLe: There's no reason why a patch couldn't fix frame rate issues on consoles. They can modify their game to improve frame rate issues by either modifying the game data (Meshes, textures effects, etc.) or by modifying the game executable or binaries.

Demon's Souls had slowdowns when preloading some areas of the game. There were similar issues with Red Dead Redemption. After installing the game on a hacked ps3's harddrive, the slowdown went away in the case of Demon's Souls. I unhacked my ps3 so I can't check again. Take a look at hdd or dvd/bluray lights when there is a slowdown...

#24 Posted by miguelkosta76 (32 posts) -
#25 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
@Klei: Wrong. Just wrong. 

Well, I'm still standing by my opinion. I still think this series has nothing to write about in the technical graphics department other than its art style. Someone should play Witcher 2 and Rage.
#26 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Klei said:
Considering Dark Souls and Demon Souls are rather bland, average looking game, it's quite surprising to see such a bad framerate. Sure, there are some shining spots in the graphics, such has bosses and the blooming skies, but other than that, it's a 2006-2007 looking game.
nah it looks way better than an 06 or 07 game. It's an 09 game in looks.
#27 Edited by MrOldboy (871 posts) -

It was terrible in Demon's Souls too, in some spots. Sometimes in weird places where you wouldn't expect. But usually it can be expected, lots of destruction, rolling into lots of barrels, etc. Surprised it isn't worse considering the openness of the world this time.

Eurogamer (digital foundry) did a comparison of the PS3 vs 360 like they do with other releases. Came down to audio options and controller preference.

For the deciding vote, it's close enough for us to recommend either controller preference or the PS3 version's larger range of supported audio formats as more crucial points for consideration.
#28 Posted by groin (854 posts) -
@CaLe said:

@SSully said:

@CaLe said:

Yes, actually they can.

When has this ever happened on a console? I've never heard of it happening.

You do not understand how software works if you claim that patches cannot fix frame rate issues. If the developers find a way to optimize performance of the engine post-release then they can place a new binary/executable in the patch. If you still will not accept that then Fable III is a tittle that had framerate improvements with a post-release patch: http://lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2010/12/01/patch-notes-fable-iii-title-update.aspx
#29 Posted by SSully (4276 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@groin said:

@CaLe said:

@SSully said:

@CaLe said:

Yes, actually they can.

When has this ever happened on a console? I've never heard of it happening.

You do not understand how software works if you claim that patches cannot fix frame rate issues. If the developers find a way to optimize performance of the engine post-release then they can place a new binary/executable in the patch. If you still will not accept that then Fable III is a tittle that had framerate improvements with a post-release patch: http://lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2010/12/01/patch-notes-fable-iii-title-update.aspx

I'm fully aware patches can improve framerate depending on what they consist of, I was simply saying it didn't happy on consoles. I'll admit if I'm wrong and the fable patch does say it improves framerate but I still stand by the fact that this generally never happens on consoles, or very rarely at least.

If you are aware that patches can improve performance then I don't see how you can think it doesn't work on consoles. As someone quoted you before, it happened with fallout 3, and I am pretty sure it happened with fallout new vegas for both consoles. If I recall correctly Socom Confrontation had performance improvements early on.

#30 Edited by apoc_reg (21 posts) -

Are people actually trying to argue a patch cant help a frame rate issue.. you do know that games are created by programmers writing code... and a patch changes code... and.... well the rest is obvious!

#31 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

I'm glad I'm not the only one - I made a similar thread to this when I started playing but most people said "hey runs great for me except for Blighttown" and I felt the game is constantly running at a low FPS like 15-19?

Demons Souls definitely did not have these issues - almost all areas ran super smooth.

The bridge with the dragon is atrocious even when he's NOT there anymore.

#32 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

The draw distance is MASSIVE, but the renderer can't keep up

#33 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

The onlyplace where it reallybothered me so far was blight town. I do hope they can make some improvements in this area.

#34 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Game is absolutely unplayable in many areas (blight town, forest, few other areas). Seems like memory leaks to me, as you can stand in spots where it runs fine, then turn slightly, and it goes to shit (even though you aren't looking at anything more complicated like a draw distance. Thus it seems like a leak or an effect causing it).

An absolute embarassment that it was released like this, and I have absolutely no idea how this game possibly got the scores it did when several extremely large sections of the game are completely unplayable. It's not even just the framerate, there's a noticeable input lag in addition, in these areas (and commands sometimes just don't register).

I have absolutely no idea how this game was released in this state. Absolutely mind boggling. Wasn't this game released by a Japanese studio? Coders should have commit seppuku over this.

#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:

Game is absolutely unplayable in many areas (blight town, forest, few other areas). Seems like memory leaks to me, as you can stand in spots where it runs fine, then turn slightly, and it goes to shit (even though you aren't looking at anything more complicated like a draw distance. Thus it seems like a leak or an effect causing it).

An absolute embarassment that it was released like this, and I have absolutely no idea how this game possibly got the scores it did when several extremely large sections of the game are completely unplayable. It's not even just the framerate, there's a noticeable input lag in addition, in these areas (and commands sometimes just don't register).

I have absolutely no idea how this game was released in this state. Absolutely mind boggling. Wasn't this game released by a Japanese studio? Coders should have commit seppuku over this.

Only place I ever had issues was in blight town. And form people said its because of all the pathing and other crap down there. Never had issues in the forest or anywhere else. 
#36 Posted by OtherworldOdd (21 posts) -

It seems that the only place the frame-rate drops for me is Blighttown.

#37 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

got so annoying for me in the forest i gave up and will just keep my fingers crossed for a PC version .

1080p 60fps... yes please

#38 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I've only noticed it in Blighttown. I'm on PS3.

#39 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@doobie said:

got so annoying for me in the forest i gave up and will just keep my fingers crossed for a PC version .

1080p 60fps... yes please

Even if they do port it I do not see them putting in the extra work to get it to 1080p and 60FPS. The Frames issue came in blighttown because of supposed so much pathing code ( going off Wiki info) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.