Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

When does this game get good?

• 124 results
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainCody

A simple question, I'm not going to waste time writing a book about my experience. I have had the drake sword for some time and the idea of finding a better weapon or one without ridiculous stat requirements seems out of the question, armor still seems useless, and I fucking hate the swamp. When does this game get good rather than: attack blocking enemy so they attack back, block attack then attack, do this 400 times to next bonfire.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I'm just gonna take a shot in the dark and say you're playing it on xbox

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By matoya

When you turn it on

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

When enemies start getting to the point where blocking their hits means you lose your whole stamina bar AND lose health. Did i mention they also come with archers on faraway ledges shooting at you while walking on a narrow bridge?

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I can only speak to my own experience, but I'm going to go ahead and say that if you've found nothing enjoyable about the game before Blighttown, you're never going to.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thechronodarkness

...It kindof doesn't. Theres not much in the way of a grand epic story. The more and more I played it, it started feeling like monster hunter but with mostly demons, with the difficulty jacked up, and a different control scheme. Difficult games are fine, but when thats all you got going for you- and with half of that difficulty just being bad development and so called 'intentionally crap animation'- theres a problem. I guess let it tide you over until an actual 'great' rpg comes out like skyrim on friday.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

You either enjoy it or you don't by the time you get to blighttown, the mechanics won't change substantially. 

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Chemin

You've played far enough that, if you don't like it yet, you never will. It's not a game for you, simple as that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Why would it make a difference what system he's playing it on? It's the same game on both.

If you're really not enjoying it, I'd say stop trying. It's a very frustrating game and it's purposefully designed that way.. it's definitely not for everyone.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Milkman

When you turn it off.

DISCLAIMER: I have never played Dark Souls. The following post is purely for comedic effect. Please don't hurt me.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Ive never had real issues finding people. After leveling a bit it just seems I was under leveled or most of the places I was in. Why even ask that quesiton 

@Marz said:

You either enjoy it or you don't by the time you get to blighttown, the mechanics won't change substantially. 

Correct. This is a real Niche game. Demon's souls had a big cult following. The game is not for everyone.  

This game is not about finding "Epic loot" every few hours. Its about working hard. Learning attack patterns. Learning weaknesses. Leveling yourself and finding and item that fits your play style and leveling up that set of armour and weapons. 
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaptainCody

@Chemin said:

You've played far enough that, if you don't like it yet, you never will. It's not a game for you, simple as that.

I was totally led into the idea that it was some fun, hard rpg. But it's not. Stats don't mean jack shit outside of what you can use, predicting moves and avoiding slow arrows? SO HARD. The hardest part about this game is the amazing lack of bonfires for whatever reason

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

I was totally led into the idea that it was some fun, hard rpg. But it's not. Stats don't mean jack shit outside of what you can use, predicting moves and avoiding slow arrows? SO HARD. The hardest part about this game is the amazing lack of bonfires for whatever reason

There is a difference between hard and unforgiving. It does get harder later on. Swamp? Do you mean the forest? Thats not to far in. Once you get into area where poison starts to come into play then it gets a bit harder. 
    cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By cyraxible
    @CaptainCody: Sounds like it's just not your cup of tea. It's okay to not like things. 

I was totally led into the idea that it was some fun, hard rpg. But it's not.  

Oh you.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

Troll fail.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

There is a difference between hard and unforgiving. It does get harder later on. Swamp? Do you mean the forest? Thats not to far in. Once you get into area where poison starts to come into play then it gets a bit harder.

Swamp as in blight town, I just used 250 arrows to kill that dragon guarding Astora's sword, which is still worse than the Drake sword. I don't understand anything anymore.

@MrKlorox: How am I trolling?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

There is a difference between hard and unforgiving. It does get harder later on. Swamp? Do you mean the forest? Thats not to far in. Once you get into area where poison starts to come into play then it gets a bit harder.

Swamp as in blight town, I just used 250 arrows to kill that dragon guarding Astora's sword, which is still worse than the Drake sword. I don't understand anything anymore.

In all fairness you did exploit a small glitch. The drake sword is quite strong and does unbalance the game early on. 
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

In all fairness you did exploit a small glitch. The drake sword is quite strong and does unbalance the game early on.

Not a glitch, an actual thing in the game for that reason, shoot the dragon tail off: Get op sword with no str and barely a dex requirement.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chemin

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

It IS a hard, fun RPG. For those who like it. Well, alright, it's barely an RPG by the standards of yesteryear, but no RPG nowadays is. That's why the genre is what it is, just look at Oblivion and Skyrim. Dark Souls falls into the same category as it's helluva lot more an action game than a hardcore RPG. But, it IS a hardcore game in the end, in it's niche, because of it's difficulty. And it's absolutely not for everyone. I don't know if you're serious or not, but if you do or don't find the game hard, it sure can be a make or break moment. Most of the satisfaction comes from defeating a boss, or getting through an area that is giving you trouble. The lack of bonfires just adds to the "should I continue forward, with the risk of dying, or go back to the previous bonfire to level up and save"-dilemma and overarching sense of danger. Again, if you don't like it, neither the action nor the difficulty is for you, and therefore the game isn't for you.

I would say that stats do make a difference. Sure, items are what changes things the most, and probably are the major reasons you level up. That's just how the game is made, items and your skill are more important than stats (in practice). That doesn't mean stats are completely useless, they do give you more HP, stamina, equip load, magic slots, and whatnot. Not AS important, but important none the less.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

In all fairness you did exploit a small glitch. The drake sword is quite strong and does unbalance the game early on.

Not a glitch, an actual thing in the game for that reason, shoot the dragon tail off: Get op sword with no str and barely a dex requirement.

Lose the sword for a bit and see what happens. 
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

The horror. Either way, it's more about the game just not being fun nor rewarding considering every boss was pretty bland so far, I like watching people play the game but it's definitely not for me.

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghost249

@CaptainCody: thats your problem, DRAKE sword just killed most of your enjoyment in between your encounters with your enemies, since drake sword does get you far for a good section of the game. You lose the feeling of "damn my weapon does low damage but this is all I have to use", I avoided that weapon and I have been enjoying my experience with this game since Demon's Souls. Also if you are still using drake sword, it's going to go UNDERPOWERED later on to a point that you regret keeping it rather then trying to upgrade other weapons that you like and or fit your play-style that scale. (Drake sword is not worth upgrading btw 10k souls with dragon scale or demon titanite?) Not trying to be rude or anything.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

The horror. Either way, it's more about the game just not being fun nor rewarding considering every boss was pretty bland so far, I like watching people play the game but it's definitely not for me.

Sadly anyone who has played a lot of the game will not really see your issue. You kinda ruined the entire feeling by just picking up that weapon super early. 
    sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By sawtooth

When you start complaining about it.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Branwulf

You not understanding the game or getting better as you play is your problem, not the game. Armour and stats are not things you can hide behind, they merely take the edge off and even then barely, the game never gets easier you have to get better, you've got to blight town and by now you should understood the mechanics at word, if not then stop playing, you won't get it. That's just what Dark Souls is.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By DoctorWelch

From everything you said I either gather that you haven't played the game and are just trolling, or have no understanding of how the game works. You've said that stats mean nothing which is the exact opposite of true. You've said that the lack of bonfires makes this game hard, when there are plenty of bonfires throughout the game and bonfires would be one of the last reasons I would say this game is "hard". Also, this game isn't hard to play, it's just hard to learn, and it challenges your patience and self control. Lastly, if you are still at the point where blocking and then attacking enemies is still viable for every enemy, than you must still be extremely early on.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chemin

Yeah, the drake sword is not a glitch, they put it there deliberately. The thing is, you wouldn't even know it existed if it weren't for all the buzz surrounding it. Most people would never have found it. It is an OP sword, for sure, but it won't stay OP forever. There were a lot of really powerful unique weapons in Demon's Souls also, but without a wiki, I barely found any of them the first time through. Don't listen to tips and don't read wikis or anything if you want to play the game with the most challenge. No shit it's easier if you have a walkthrough, or a massive tips-section to read, which is what half the threads here on GB are, in practice. Just don't bother with them. Figure things out for yourself.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

Sadly anyone who has played a lot of the game will not really see your issue. You kinda ruined the entire feeling by just picking up that weapon super early.

Well it's not like I haven't played without it and I'm aware it get's bad. I just wish the game was taking some direction, I don't see what's driving me. the voice acting is amazing yet firelink shrine is the most I seem to ever get of people. I'm also not looking forward to dickass Lautrec killing Anastacia or something, NAMES. The graphics are fantastic but holy shit the framerate gets bad and I'm not a fan of so many of the corridor like set pieces, too often is it stripped of that vast feel either due to framerate or being in dungeons all day.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

Well it's not like I haven't played without it and I'm aware it get's bad. I just wish the game was taking some direction, I don't see what's driving me. the voice acting is amazing yet firelink shrine is the most I seem to ever get of people. I'm also not looking forward to dickass Lautrec killing Anastacia or something, NAMES. The graphics are fantastic but holy shit the framerate gets bad and I'm not a fan of so many of the corridor like set pieces, too often is it stripped of that vast feel either due to framerate or being in dungeons all day.

It does give you a more direct path after the second bell. And firelink will be the most you will see of friendly NPCS (aside from forest covent) And ya it has framerate issues. And the set pices do change. Some of em are pretty nice.  

And only in blighttown is the framerate that shit. There is a shit ton of path finding going on in a super small place. If you look around from that first bonfire. You can more or less see EVERYTHING you will be walking on untill the swamp area. 
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aetheldod
    @Matoya said:

When you turn it on

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@Chemin said:

It does give you a more direct path after the second bell. And firelink will be the most you will see of friendly NPCS (aside from forest covent) And ya it has framerate issues. And the set pices do change. Some of em are pretty nice. And only in blighttown is the framerate that shit. There is a shit ton of path finding going on in a super small place. If you look around from that first bonfire. You can more or less see EVERYTHING you will be walking on untill the swamp area.

Yeah, the ballsy view distance this game has is a double-edged sword.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By huntad

@Matoya said:

When you turn it on

I was going to say when you turn it on and get killed, but this is good too.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branwulf

It's not the view distance that ruins the frame rate, pretty sure its the liquids and/or fire effects,

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CptBedlam

@xaLieNxGrEyx: This game is just fine on 360. I'm finding tons of people for coop and invasions.

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DoctorWelch said:

From everything you said I either gather that you haven't played the game and are just trolling, or have no understanding of how the game works. You've said that stats mean nothing which is the exact opposite of true. You've said that the lack of bonfires makes this game hard, when there are plenty of bonfires throughout the game and bonfires would be one of the last reasons I would say this game is "hard". Also, this game isn't hard to play, it's just hard to learn, and it challenges your patience and self control. Lastly, if you are still at the point where blocking and then attacking enemies is still viable for every enemy, than you must still be extremely early on.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I would say this game is just not for you. Do you believe that we can convince you otherwise? Only you can make the choice to press forward. Or not.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jozzy

Well, maybe at least get past blighttown and see what Sens fortress does to you. Blighttown was my least favorite area too.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mmmslash

@CaptainCody said:

Actually, shooting the tail from under the bridge is a bit exploitive. As with every other boss enemy with a cuttable tail, the intention is you get behind it in combat, and cut it off. By the time that you most players would get up to the dragon's face, they would already be in an acceptable range of that sword.

I'm not saying shooting the tail is cheating, but you ARE meant to get the sword much later in the game.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @huntad said:

@Matoya said:

When you turn it on

I was going to say when you turn it on and get killed, but this is good too.

When you turn it on. beat a boss. Then by mistake fall down the fucking hole to blighttown. 
    slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By slantedwindows

there's a billion things you can do. here are some:

1. learn parrying. it's immensely satisfying, even after finishing demons souls multiple times and 60 hours into DkS.

2. learn magic or shoot arrows. drake sword isn't a "glitch" by any means, but it's kind of like turning on "easy mode" for the first half or so of the game.

3. get the dark grain wood ring. ninja backflips for days.

4. stop being a bitch. dark souls lets you play the game any way you like. seems like you're too scared to play this game the "wrong" way and are getting bored because you're playing the game like you are scared to try anything new.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By slantedwindows

@Mmmslash said:

@CaptainCody said:

Actually, shooting the tail from under the bridge is a bit exploitive. As with every other boss enemy with a cuttable tail, the intention is you get behind it in combat, and cut it off. By the time that you most players would get up to the dragon's face, they would already be in an acceptable range of that sword.

I'm not saying shooting the tail is cheating, but you ARE meant to get the sword much later in the game.

this is an homage to the red dragon in demons souls: you were able to do it at any level, required that you had enough arrows. it's not like FROM soft wasn't aware people were doing this. the souls series rewards players for being keen and noticing things in-game that they are able to use to their advantage, this is most definitely one of them. this is why the drake sword has such a low requirement, despite it's high damage output (encouraging early game use) and no stat boosts (to discourage later game use). few people will use this sword in NG+ which is very different from the most basic sword, which can be made and put to good use if handled in the proper manner.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mmmslash

@slantedwindows said:

this is an homage to the red dragon in demons souls: you were able to do it at any level, required that you had enough arrows. it's not like FROM soft wasn't aware people were doing this. the souls series rewards players for being keen and noticing things in-game that they are able to use to their advantage, this is most definitely one of them. this is why the drake sword has such a low requirement, despite it's high damage output (encouraging early game use) and no stat boosts (to discourage later game use). few people will use this sword in NG+ which is very different from the most basic sword, which can be made and put to good use if handled in the proper manner.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By McGhee

The swamp in Blighttown is no problem. You just can never stop moving. Have one objective, get it, then come back to the bonfire. It's not a big deal, really.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jozzy

@Mmmslash said:

@slantedwindows said:

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

I am also pretty sure that this was intentional. The tail is such an obvious target if you are under the bridge, pretty sure they did that on purpose.

Wish they didn't though, now a lot of people seem at a loss much later in the game when they realize the sword is not cutting it anymore (pun intended). Better to ease players into the upgrading stuff sooner.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaptainCody

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

The swamp in Blighttown is no problem. You just can never stop moving. Have one objective, get it, then come back to the bonfire. It's not a big deal, really.

I never said Blight town was hard, when did I say that. My point is that the game is not hard, it's just a game that repeatedly inconveniences you. It is inconvenience: the game. Want to use the bonfire at Firelink? Sorry, dawg. That dude Lautrec killed the keeper, took her soul, and ran off to a later boss. So you'll will have to go there, invade him, kill him and then return her soul.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By McGhee

@CaptainCody said:

and I fucking hate the swamp.

@CaptainCody said:

Swamp as in blight town,

This leads one to believe you are having difficulties, but why am I bothering? You just want to bitch about something. So go and bitch, bitch.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By 71Ranchero

Not every game has to be enjoyed by every gamer. You dont like the game, thats cool. Im sure thats cool with everybody. Bitching about it however is not going to change your mind nor is it going to change anybody elses. Bitching for the sake of bitching is pointless. Just return it/trade it in and get something you will enjoy.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CaptainCody

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

@CaptainCody said:

and I fucking hate the swamp.

@CaptainCody said:

Swamp as in blight town,

This leads one to believe you are having difficulties, but why am I bothering? You just want to bitch about something. So go and bitch, bitch.

I hate the swamp because it's a gross looking place with gross looking enemies, if you asked me if I'd rather be in a forest or a dank cave with flying shit I'll say forest. But, you're a man of assumptions so it shouldn't surprise me your short temper so easily encumbered you when the rest of my posts were ignored so you could return to your pretend land where you think you laid your point out. Lastly, if your first observation was that I was just bitching I don't think you would have ever dictated this thread a response.

Strange...I guess that just says what kind of person you are, I'm sure you can figure that much out for yourself.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By McGhee

@CaptainCody said:

Lastly, if your first observation was that I was just bitching I don't think you would have ever dictated this thread a response.

Actually, my first observation was that you were having issues, so I posted a little advice on Blighttown, but your response was one of someone who just wanted to bitch. That is all.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lifestrike

Oh Blightown.

Have fun.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Shirogane said:

When enemies start getting to the point where blocking their hits means you lose your whole stamina bar AND lose health.

With a good shield and a good amount of stamina, that's never.

Anyways, all that really needed to be said in this thread is that the OP probably will not warm up to this game ever, and that's okay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.