When was your first 'TO HELL WITH THIS GAME' moment?

• 61 results
#1 Edited by Immuniity (241 posts) -

When was the first time you were absolutely destroyed by the game and announced that the game was bullshit, the mechanics were broken or muttered to yourself 'oh yeah, thats fair. Totally fair. Yeah, THANKS FOR BEING FAIR' ?

I was close to screaming at the top of my lungs when i got to Blighttown. fantastically atmospheric area however the drop in framerate was the toughest enemy there. I spent some fights praying that the framerate would boost otherwise i would die for something that was simply not by fault. In addition, the first time i was cursed i looked at the screen in disbelief for about 10 seconds before realizing not only was i insta-killed. I now had 50% HP until cured. I took a well earned break at that point.

So how about you guys?

#2 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (642 posts) -

Almost the exact same story as you, mate. It was the first times I headed into the depths to fight the Gaping Dragon. What did I run across if not those frogs? I said to myself, "So, they only have poison attacks, huh, this is like to be pretty easy." All of a sudden, an black phantom invades my world and starts chopping at me, and why, naturally, I more or less ignore the frogs as I have many of the blooms that remove poison. Turns it out it isn't poison, but a curse.

For them that don't know, it's an insta-kill, and it leaves you with half your hp when you respawn. The only way to get rid of it (at this point of the game) is to visit the vendor at the top of the bell-tower to buy an item that removes it. Otherwise you're stuck with half-hp, and unlike Demon's Souls, it is not a viable option to tackle the game with half of your maximum health. Ended up losing 5000 souls, but fuck, at least the other player didn't get me.

I've just gotten to Blighttown, myself, (after killing the Hydra and the Undead Dragon, was that ever a high-point) and the Toxic is driving me insane. Incredibly cool, as a whole, that area, but... What the hell is that toxic all about? Do you, by chance, mate, know any spot where I can get my fingers on some more blooms, I'm down to my last one.

#3 Posted by Immuniity (241 posts) -

@Do_The_Manta_Ray:

I think the tree guys drop some anti-poison. There located in darkroot behind the blacksmith. I think the female merchant in the waterduct sells them too.

This is for both types of anti-poison. Yes, because theres two types of slow death. Word from the wise - block blow darts.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Had not had one yet in my 20 hours, but I have yet to go to blight town

#5 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

I started a new character. My first "fuck this" moment was when I didn't get the boar head helm on my second character. That itself isn't a huge deal, but knowing that I already own it on a character I'm never going to use and just can't transfer it over, is driving me crazy.

#6 Edited by morosemode (51 posts) -

Facing 2 cleaver mini-bosses (don't know what they're called or the location's name) near where I...  
I managed to engage one on it's own but died. Went back, cleared the minions and managed to kill one, was so close to killing the second then he just combo'ed me and I got destroyed. I felt it was pretty cheap, so called it a night.  

I'm not even sure if that is the way to go right now, but I know I can take him, just hope they don't respawn. If they do I'm heading a different way.
#7 Posted by Immuniity (241 posts) -

@morosemode:

You are in the depths. Those are not really mini-bosses. Just chunky normal guys. Good news! They do not respawn once killed.

#8 Posted by QuickThumbs (12 posts) -

About the time the second bell tower gargoyle jumps down and started roasting me. Of course I eventually figured out how to kill them and now feel like I could beat them pretty easily. But that first time I was just sitting there staring at the screen thinking how the hell do I fight two of these bastards.

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

When they announced it. I went and got my controller just so I could throw it across the room.

#10 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

I think it was my third attempt at the bell tower gargoyles when they knocked me off the roof, from almost the middle of it. I composed myself a just focused on separating them and killing one so it'll go back to being easy.

But damn, I am NOT looking forward to Blighttown.

#11 Edited by morosemode (51 posts) -
@Immuniity
I always considered mini-bosses anything that doesn't respawn, but doesn't have a large health bar at the bottom of the screen.

I don't know I'm new to the franchise, and this game is so ambiguous - barely using a wiki leaves me in the dark (go figure!).

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Haven't had that moment yet.

It will come.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14763 posts) -

Blight Town. The layout is confusing. Your initally getting sniped by toxic blowdarts that are almost a guaranteed death sentence etc.... But through hours of repittion last night I have running through the level and past most of the enemies even down to a science.

I'd like to know what enemies are cursing people down there.... the only enemy I saw with a curse attack were the frogs in the sewers.

#14 Posted by Kratch (367 posts) -

I just got cursed after having about 5000 souls. I'm not going back down there to get my souls back with half health and the possibility of getting cursed again (I read that the cursing stacks). Now I have to grind my ass off to get 6000 souls to get rid of the curse. Damn.

#15 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

My first time through Tomb of Giants pissed me off something good. Pitch black area + tight ledges + giant skeletons = Fuck you, From.

#16 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

I'm not at that point yet. I just rang the first bell and after reading what you guys went though I think I'll be at that point soon.

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

When they announced it. I went and got my controller just so I could throw it across the room.

haha
#18 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Second Bell Gargoyle appeared and cornered me and roasted me. "Seriously? How the fuck am I supposed to get out of that?"

When the dragon came down and breathed fire on me. I did not see the Quick Looks at that point. Did not even see that coming. "Crap, enemies. I'm gonna slowly lure them out and.... WHAT THE FUCK!!!"

Three thieves attacked me and one of them got on my back and cut my throat. ".... that is just brutal..."

When I found out I could lure the headless lightening shooting demon to the stairs room and not get attacked by him because all his attacks went above my head. "This game is broken...."

When I found out Midnight Butterfly was way easier to kill than the headless demon. "You're kidding me, right?"

#19 Posted by Chaser324 (6411 posts) -

Beating the bull demon, getting past a dragon's fire breath, and then getting killed by three rats. Then going back and getting knocked off a bridge by those same three rats and losing all my souls and humanity.

#20 Posted by MrMuscle (447 posts) -

I cant remember my first, but i do remember my last (sp far). I just got to Nlight Town and on the narrow walkway there are these fat guys with clubs. Well they have a nasty knock back that sends youy plummeting to your death. After 4 deaths there i had to take a long break. So here i am :P

#21 Posted by MrJorOwe (282 posts) -

The Driver training mission in the original ps1 game. I was about 6 so maybe it wasn't actually that hard, though I never once got past it and just did not see the rest of that game.

#22 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (642 posts) -

@Immuniity: Tree guys certainly do, but didn't know about the merchant. Cheers for the info, mate.

#23 Posted by FateOfNever (1830 posts) -

Hasn't happened yet. Blight town has been a bit annoying with the awful framerate and the near impossible to see ladders half of the time, but I've never really felt like throwing my hands up in the air and going "fuck this shit!"

#24 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

yea, i've had plenty of those. i hate fighting the cabra demon or whatever in the undead burg. it's the tightest space and it's so fucking annoying getting caught on walls and shit when you're trying to move out of the way of his attacks and the dumb animals that are trying to kill you at the same damn time. just thinking about it makes me wanna punch my TV

#25 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Halo 3!

#26 Edited by BagManForHire (382 posts) -

1st time i got cursed in the sewers and i had no idea how to reverse it.

#27 Posted by Nadril (527 posts) -

Blighttown was bullshit and all..... but, 

the most 'bullshit' moment I've had so far is when I went to go open a chest... only to get eaten and killed by it. Looking back at it it was at a pretty obvious spot (randomly in middle of the room) but it's left me paranoid ever since. 

#28 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

I giggled profusely.

That said, I'd say the only frustrations I've really had with this game is the wonky framerate. Or just getting gangbanged by a sheer number of enemies who you've mismanaged or became unaware of, and having five of them just jab you from every angle as you go "NO NO NO NO NO DIVE ROLL JUST GET OUT OF THERE HIT THE GROUND GODDAMMIT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS." while you were on a corpse run.

#29 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

I haven't had it yet. The closest I got was when I chose not to spend souls to level and then went and died twice, losing all of it (around 4000) plus the 2 humanity points I had.

I hated myself more than the game though.

#30 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I decided to attack that dude right after you leave the beginning area, the one sitting near the bonfire. I died naturally, but he kept chasing me everytime i respawned at the bonfire. It was pretty annoying and I ended up making a new character, but it was pretty funny.

#31 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

@Br3adfan said:

I decided to attack that dude right after you leave the beginning area, the one sitting near the bonfire. I died naturally, but he kept chasing me everytime i respawned at the bonfire. It was pretty annoying and I ended up making a new character, but it was pretty funny.

would have been amazing if he kept attacking you on the new char.

#32 Edited by handlas (2675 posts) -

about 20 hours in right after you get past the boss in the Catacombs. Its pitch black. All you have are these little colored lights on the ground to guide you on these narrow walkways. I'm walking along slowly being sure not to fall off. Out of the darkness, not 1 step in front of me, one of those huge skeletons appears. No time to react. Kicks me to the ground; half health gone. My guy struggles to get up and eats another shot before I can even regain control; dead.

Annoying, seemed unfair, bonfire is so far away, I just got finished fighting a boss, etc. etc. I was done for a good while. Went and bought Rage actually to play an "easy" game.

First "holy sh*t" moment, tho, was when you see that huge multi-headed serpent thing in the lake in the forest area. Went and grabbed the armor from the dead guy at the edge of the lake but I've yet to be strong enough to fight it.

#33 Edited by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

I died somewhere in the Undead Parish with like 13000 souls on me, which is a lot at that level, so I was pretty desperate to get back to my bloodstain.

I respawned, worked my way back there just fine, and fought one of the generic red-caped knights that roam that area.

I killed these guys dozens of times, no biggie, I know their mechanics. All of a sudden, when I went in with a swing, I heard a weird sound, the knight managed to parry my attack, stab me in the chest in slow-motion, and kick me down the stairs, robbing me of 90% of my health bar in a single swoop. Jesus christ.

I tried to get up to roll away as fast as I possibly could, fists clenched around my controller in pure fear, and when my character finally got his ass up, the motherfucker managed to pull off a perfect backstab, did a twirly dance, and crushed all my hopes and dreams.

Long story short: When the red-caped knights assume a stance where they point their weapon at you in a fencing-like way, stop hitting them in the face.

#34 Posted by ProfessorEss (7319 posts) -

Same as it was with Demon's Souls - an effing dragon on an effing bridge.

#35 Posted by McHampton (63 posts) -

In Anor Londo later in the game you have to walk your way up this tiny little path miles above the ground while dodging two archers with heavy arrows that will knock you on your ass you do not block. If you do have your shield up you still get pushed back a foot. If you get up close to one of them they pull a sword and are still pretty formidable on a 2 foot walkway so you have to hope they wander off the edge themselves.

Died there around 15 times and it's a 2 minute walk back FUCK THIS GAME.

#36 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Blightown. It's bad. Real bad. And Ceaseless Discharge is easily the cheapest boss in the game so far. His attacks go right through the fucking mountain! WTF! It has serious hitbox issues and I died on it more times than all the other bosses combined by a long shot. Finally managed to beat it, but damn that's an annoying fight.

In spite of all that I still love the game overall though.

#37 Posted by Creamypies (4060 posts) -

When my attack animation caused me to fall off a cliff when I was on my way to collect my lost souls from my last death. Causing a total loss of about 2000 souls.

I've gone back to it since, but I needed a 16 hour break before I could.

#38 Posted by Goboard (103 posts) -

last night when I went to Blightown for the first time. The toxic combined with losing 13k souls really crushed my drive to finish that are up. I however beat that area this morning, so now all is good.

#39 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -
@Creamypies: This is why I use spears most of the time on narrow ledges. When you attack with your shield up with a spear you don't move at all, and the game is usually nice enough to only throw relatively weak enemies at you when the ledge is really narrow so you don't need a Drake or anything for them. It makes those kinds of situations much more manageable. I haven't fallen off a cliff from attacking in ages, but before I started using spears it would happen to me, coming back to Firelink from undead for example, real awkward spot without a spear.
#40 Posted by morosemode (51 posts) -

So I turned on my console and imidiately finished off the second Butcher, then proceeded to clear out the Depths with little problem. I've still not faced the Gaping Dragon yet, because I fear anger would ensue. Instead I went back and defeated Havel & a Black Knight I missed, then farmed the depths for about 30mins.  

Those frogs are easy as long as you don't fight them in large groups & at 200 souls each good for farming. Only reason I farmed though was so I could buy some of the awesome armour sold nearby.

#41 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@morosemode: The Gaping Dragon is a joke boss or something. Seriously, some normal enemies have a higher chance of damaging you than that thing.
#42 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

The Capra Demon pissed me off pretty bad when I got to him. The fog wall is 6 inches away from his face and if you try to roll out of the way of his attacks you'll get stuck on the dogs who will stunlock you until the boss kills you. Ended up getting lucky and making it to the stairs without dying.

#43 Posted by Altagrave (49 posts) -

Farming Souls in sewers to buy the uncurse. Getting one shotted by rats.

#44 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@Kratch said:

I just got cursed after having about 5000 souls. I'm not going back down there to get my souls back with half health and the possibility of getting cursed again (I read that the cursing stacks). Now I have to grind my ass off to get 6000 souls to get rid of the curse. Damn.

Mate...if it's anything like Demon's Souls, by the time you're getting on NG+ you'll wish you'd only lost 6000 souls. Fuuck. 
#45 Posted by Maajin (1059 posts) -

Blighttown is terrible. Framerate issues, those toxic and poisonous enemies, and the "platforming" stuff you have to do, OH GOD!

Not helped by the fact that missed the boss' lair, and went straight out. Just got to the tunnel bonfire again and got my ass kicked by Quelaag. I need a break.

#46 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Falling down the hole into the area with a shitload of frogs that curse you was my first 'holy shit' moment. Lost a lot of souls and 7 humanity to them because they just gang banged me after I fell down that hole. I wasn't super frustrated... just annoyed.

#47 Posted by Tennmuerti (8072 posts) -

Capra Demon with his 2 dogs made me want to hit something BAD.
Managed to kill him today after taking a break for a couple hours. Fuck him and his mother.

#48 Posted by Nadril (527 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
Blightown. It's bad. Real bad. And Ceaseless Discharge is easily the cheapest boss in the game so far. His attacks go right through the fucking mountain! WTF! It has serious hitbox issues and I died on it more times than all the other bosses combined by a long shot. Finally managed to beat it, but damn that's an annoying fight.  In spite of all that I still love the game overall though.
I kind of cheesed the discharge so bad. I had 10 +3 flasks so I just stood in one spot where he would always use his fire nuke. He would use it, I would hit his arm 3 times and pop a flask. Ended up killing him with a flask left, easiest kill of my life lol. 

Having a fire resist ring and a good fire resist shield helped. 
#49 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

RIGHT NOW! I can't stand Blighttown. All that poison and toxic. I can't get out of the swamp part right after the first bondfire, I keep getting swarmed by thoes flying bug things that infinitely respawn. And if I manage to run past all them I get hit with toxic out of no where and die climbing a latter.

#50 Posted by eastcoasteric (58 posts) -

That's easy!

Because it just happened!

I was fighting the first dragon you face (the one with the teeth in it's belly) and almost had him beat (no joke, 1-2 hits until it was dead) and he had did a charge, I had a full bar of health, was hit and dead instantly.

Oh my way back I was trying to rush through the depths to get my body back and finish this bastard off when I fell down a hole, was surrounded by the frogs who curse you, all I could see was grey smoke, I was slashing frantically and all of a sudden, I turn to stone. As I was cursed.

Oh and I lost a bunch of souls and humanity back where the boss was, I mean like 20k souls and 7 humanity.

And now I was cursed, with ZERO souls and no way to remove the curse besides mindless grinding to buy a stone from someone (which will be on the other side of the universe)

I stopped for a moment when that happened and that "fuck this game" silently to myself...and turned it off for the night.

Right now as we speak, I'm on my way to breaking that curse and shoving a massive sword up that Dragons ass and continuing on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.