Where do I go.

#1 Posted by ZGoon (262 posts) -

Just a quick question about direction. How do I know where I should be going if I don't want to use a game guide?

#2 Posted by PandaBear (1303 posts) -

You just live man. You just find your own way and live your life.

#3 Posted by Hayt (255 posts) -

A good general rule is to follow the path of least resistance (ie. the enemies aren't totally kicking your arse). If you are really struggling try heading elsewhere until you find a path that seems reasonable to handle. Unless you have the Master Key you won't end up sequence breaking or anything too troublesome. Try talking to people at Bonfires for hints sometimes but all the dialogue can be pretty dodgy/cryptic at times.

#4 Posted by Zeik (2222 posts) -

Exploration and trial and error. I ran up to those skeletons and down where those ghost's were so many times before I realized that's not where I was supposed to go.

Keep an eye on the keys you pick up though. They're often important to unlock doors to access new areas.

#5 Posted by ZGoon (262 posts) -

In my fellow bombers' opinions should I pay attention to some kind of guide or should I only look things up (ie: boss strategies) if I am having trouble?

#6 Posted by Zeik (2222 posts) -

@zgoon said:

In my fellow bombers' opinions should I pay attention to some kind of guide or should I only look things up (ie: boss strategies) if I am having trouble?

I'd definitely recommend avoiding guides unless you're really stuck. And even then only when you're really stuck, because figuring that stuff out is often part of the fun. On the other hand, don't think you can't use a guide if you're really struggling. Just remember to play however you find most enjoyable.

#7 Posted by Abendlaender (2761 posts) -

You can also look at this, it's not a spoiler or a guide but it helps:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Game+Progress+Route

I personally started looking at a guide from time to time, simply cause I couldn't remember where the "entrance to XYZ" was so I ran around the world for hours and got bored. I'm still new to the game though.

#8 Posted by Hayt (255 posts) -

@zgoon: Guides are handy for working out stat stuff like when END stops giving equip load for example. I used the guide for that sort of stuff, character building help. All the info is in the game, but it can be a pain to read.

#9 Edited by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

LOL

#10 Posted by Zeik (2222 posts) -

@hayt said:

@zgoon: Guides are handy for working out stat stuff like when END stops giving equip load for example. I used the guide for that sort of stuff, character building help. All the info is in the game, but it can be a pain to read.

Yeah, a guide is definitely handy for some of that spreadsheet data that you can't just see easily in-game. Especially when it comes to forging and upgrading weapons. You'll probably want to check out what weapons have decent scaling and how they scale so you know what weapons to focus on. Although it's also important to pick a weapon you're comfortable using.

#11 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

You're going to have one main goal in the beginning, so just kind of search around for that. If you start hitting stuff that kicks your ass turn around and look somewhere else.You can't really get into too much trouble unless you have a master key, so don't take it at the beginning if you don't trust yourself. Don't use a guide unless you have to. I would recommend asking the community here for help over a guide. Most of the people here will point you in the right direction while still respecting the need to discover the finer details on your own in Dark Souls. Guides or other online resources tend to tell you what to do step by step ruining the experience. You can still have fun while using a guide, but the games difficulty mainly comes from the trial and error process required for every unknown challenge you run into.

#12 Edited by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

Welcome to Dark souls.

#13 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11474 posts) -

I dunno, are there many ways to get lost in Dark Souls? I feel like the only time you can dangerously go in the wrong direction is at the beginning with the graveyard. Otherwise, your path should be fairly evident.

#14 Posted by Zeik (2222 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

I dunno, are there many ways to get lost in Dark Souls? I feel like the only time you can dangerously go in the wrong direction is at the beginning with the graveyard. Otherwise, your path should be fairly evident.

I can think of a few times where you have to backtrack to open a door that's not immediately obvious.

#15 Edited by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

This is all you need to know.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

I went throuh the game by myself , no guides needed etc. , just follow this axiom: if the enemy beats you hard , turn around and go somewhere else. Also if you are at firelink listen to the NPC and what they have to say ....

Also as anothe poster said , ask around these forums we like to help new players without spoilong the fun of discovery and personal understanding of the game .... fuck online strats >:3

#17 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5229 posts) -

I'd recommend going through the game by yourself and only referring to a guide when you absolutely need to.

As far as where you have to generally go, if you're at the beginning of the game, first you should try and make your way to the undead parish and ring the first tower bell.

#18 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

Let me Google that for you...

Also...

@iburningstar Most of those suggestions are really good...but dung pies are good for one thing and one thing only: throwing the heck away! You get so many poison-healing items earlier on and toxic is super rare. The enemies that can give it to you die permanently (the dumb blow dart things).

This game really sucked me in. Exploring and being cautiously adventurous is a good way to get freaked out by the game, but it's really neat. Don't be afraid to use a wiki to get the most out of the experience. I now have more than four playthroughs with two different characters and all the achievements, and I love it.

#19 Posted by Zeik (2222 posts) -

@mormonwarrior said:

Also...

@iburningstar Most of those suggestions are really good...but dung pies are good for one thing and one thing only: throwing the heck away! You get so many poison-healing items earlier on and toxic is super rare. The enemies that can give it to you die permanently (the dumb blow dart things).

Those blow dart guys really really suck though. They screwed me over pretty bad the first time I encountered them, because toxin curing healing items are actually quite rare. There's a better way to avoid that poison than dung pies though.

#20 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

@zeik said:

@mormonwarrior said:

Also...

Those blow dart guys really really suck though. They screwed me over pretty bad the first time I encountered them, because toxin curing healing items are actually quite rare. There's a better way to avoid that poison than dung pies though.

Yeah it's called a shield. And there's bonfires pretty close by to each of those guys so you can heal that way. They can be real butts if you're going backwards into Blighttown but you only really do that if you're super comfortable with the game already. And the blow dart guys have nothing on the freaking stupid pinwheel skeleton pieces of crap uggghhh I hated them even four playthroughs in. They're the only consistently awful enemy that I could never get used to or deal with properly.

#21 Edited by Zeik (2222 posts) -

@mormonwarrior: The spider shield specifically, because normal shields are worthless.

Those pinwheel skeletons are indeed worse though. One on one they're not so bad, but if you're careless and pull like 3 or 4 you're fucked.

#22 Posted by ZGoon (262 posts) -

On that note are there any items i should definitely seek out or should I just go with the flow?

#23 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

@zgoon: Go with the flow duder .... because well , character building is part of the fun and you dont really need that obnoxious "perfect" buldings some people tend to do. All you really need is a shield that guards a 100% damage , outside of that depends on your playstyle really (or more appropietly your weapon of choice and/or magic/miracle/pyromancy) , do take your time to know which stats do what (press seclect on the stats screen to read more about them) and plan acordingly , but really dont get too afraid of trying things. ;D and well rings that help a lot you will stumble upon them in your playthrough anyway so dont fret about that. And about armour , well it depends mostly of what kind of roll/dodge you want (light-medium-slow) or , like I do it which one looks cool on my character :P

#24 Edited by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

#25 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Agreed with the majority of the tips here:

- do not use a guide

- the tips for beginners pic is basically all you need. However, maybe look up what the various stats do, what weapon-scaling is and how forging weapons works

- you don't need a perfect character build

- if enemies become to strong, try a different direction

#26 Posted by mosespippy (4032 posts) -

@zgoon said:

On that note are there any items i should definitely seek out or should I just go with the flow?

There are two sets of armour in Darkroot Garden that when upgraded provide the most defense per unit of weight. Also in Darkroot Garden is a shield that regenerates stamina. You can return to the Undead Asylum to get a ring that has it's uses.

I've seen people go too deep to early into Tomb of Giants and Blighttown and they couldn't get out without a couple hours of corpse running.

#27 Posted by dudeglove (7686 posts) -
#28 Posted by Sinusoidal (1289 posts) -

I just started playing this a couple weeks back, now 80 hours in and I have some advice that may not be immediately obvious: in areas where you have not already beaten the boss stay hollowed! The PvP for this game has reached absolutely brutal status. You can't be invaded when you're hollow. Every player who's invaded me has completely destroyed my newb ass. (Except for one guy who either really, really sucked, or just wasn't even trying.) If you absolutely must reverse-hollowing for kindling or something, stay near a bonfire until your inevitable death at the hands of some lag-backstabber or shotel wielding tank...

#29 Posted by hippocrit (236 posts) -

There are people who can speed run the game (no glitches) in an hour. Which means, go wherever you want! Once you get comfortable with the game you can roll a new character and get powerful again pretty quickly. I'm no master but I got through the first half of the game in 7 hours on a restart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.