Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

White Sign Soapstone: Specifics

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bunnypot

I was hoping someone could explain some things about how the White Sign Soapstones work. I placed one before the butterfly boss (in the forest) and then promptly died to the butterfly boss. Does this mean that the sign will still stay on the ground, if i keep playing will I be invited to a boss fight?

I tried looking it up on wiki but I couldn't find any more details besides it's basic use.

If someone could explain the specifics, how long the signs stay, if friends can see them etc that'd be great, I'll then update the wiki with the details :)

Thanks!

fearandwhiskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fearandwhiskey

You have to stay in the general area where you put your summon sign down. If you stray too far away, you'll get a message that your summon sign disappeared. It will also disappear if you die, so yours is not there anymore, but there's no reason you can't put it down again any time you want to be summoned. Also, you can be summoned for any boss. It doesn't matter if the boss is still alive in your game or not.

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bunnypot

How would I go about coordinating summoning into a friends game to help them with a boss?

fearandwhiskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fearandwhiskey

It's tricky because you're not necessarily going to be on the same server, so be patient, but just keep putting down your summon sign until they can see it. The person summoning has to be human, the person being summoned can be human or hollow. You also have to be close to the same soul level--most information says within 10%, but I've also seen within 10 levels cited.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Kuraform said:

How would I go about coordinating summoning into a friends game to help them with a boss?

I suggest dropping a sign and waiting 30 seconds for it to appear in their game. Then  you log out of the game and then sign back in 

The game dumps people into "Lobbies" You can be in a filled one. Or a empty one.  

@fearandwhiskey said:
    It's tricky because you're not necessarily going to be on the same server, so be patient, but just keep putting down your summon sign until they can see it. The person summoning has to be human, the person being summoned can be human or hollow. You also have to be close to the same soul level--most information says within 10%, but I've also seen within 10 levels cited.
    Its hard to say  but Ive heard within 2 soul levels. But who knows.  

@Kuraform said:

I was hoping someone could explain some things about how the White Sign Soapstones work. I placed one before the butterfly boss (in the forest) and then promptly died to the butterfly boss. Does this mean that the sign will still stay on the ground, if i keep playing will I be invited to a boss fight?

I tried looking it up on wiki but I couldn't find any more details besides it's basic use.

If someone could explain the specifics, how long the signs stay, if friends can see them etc that'd be great, I'll then update the wiki with the details :)

Thanks!

Do you need help with the butterfly? Check the bush under the steps RIGHT behind that one stone dude. You can summon a mage women who will beat the living shit out of the butterfly. 
    bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bunnypot

I died despite having her help :<

...with 18,000 souls

fearandwhiskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fearandwhiskey

You can avoid almost all the damage by the butterfly just by rolling to one side or the other. When it rests on the wall, hit it a bunch then dodge once the head starts to glow. The mage NPC really does do good ranged damage in that fight. Just wait it out and collect the soul to make a pretty cool shield. : )

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Kuraform said:

I died despite having her help :<

...with 18,000 souls

On Summon her. And run to the far gate. Roll to avoid the ranged attacks. She should be able to spam her magic attacks. When the Butterfly lands run over and beat it shitless 
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By psylah

Did they change the white soapstone? I remember it requiring you to be human to use it before the patch. Now you can use it while hollowed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@fearandwhiskey said:
    Its hard to say but Ive heard within 2 soul levels. But who knows.

A friend and I typically sit right next to each other and play, and we've been within 10 soul levels and were able to summon into each other's worlds.

The summoning itself is very wonky, though. Invading can be the same way.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Bass

As far as summoning friends, there is a fairly simply and non-complicated way to attempt to connect to a friend posted on reddit

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bunnypot

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. Hopefully I'll be able to get my friends help with some areas.

I was finally able to kill the butterfly and on my way back to the blacksmith I realized there was a bonfire outside the sealed door... I had been running from the blacksmith each time.

>w< I'm going to be the worst invader.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By golguin

@psylah said:

Did they change the white soapstone? I remember it requiring you to be human to use it before the patch. Now you can use it while hollowed.

It's always been usable while hollow. It's the reason people leave the message "Need humanity" at a boss gate. I remember waiting up to an hour at a boss gate hoping for some humanity so I could turn human and summon some help on the boss.

Theiaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Theiaa

I'm having a problem with my Stone. I've been trying to put down my sign to be summoned but every time I try and use the item it wont let me. If i equip it and press 'x' my character just shrugs and if I try and use it from the menu there is a line through the options 'use item' and 'drop' :( any ideas?

Gringus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gringus

@Theiaa said:

I'm having a problem with my Stone. I've been trying to put down my sign to be summoned but every time I try and use the item it wont let me. If i equip it and press 'x' my character just shrugs and if I try and use it from the menu there is a line through the options 'use item' and 'drop' :( any ideas?

There are some areas where you can't put down your sign.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.