Why Didn't GB Review Dark Souls?

#1 Posted by Mcfart (1729 posts) -

I know Vinny loved it, and recently checked to see if they did a formal review, and alas no dice. Seems kinda weird considering how much he gushed over it on the bombcast.

Also why are the other crew members apathetic to it? Did they ever state why?

#2 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Nobody wanted to commit to a review. Rorie wrote an excellent piece about his throughts on the game, but I'm unsure if he ever completed a playthrough.

They seem to have flat-out denied the existence of the PC port.

#3 Edited by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
#4 Edited by Aishan (1023 posts) -

Vinny is primarily a video-guy, he's not a reviewer. Matt Rorie, however, did write an excellent piece on the game shortly after it was released, in lieu of a full review.

#5 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

This question gets asked so often we should write a copy/paste response explaining the situation.

#6 Posted by Terramagi (1158 posts) -

I'm pretty sure none of them ever passed Anor Londo.

Reviewing it before getting halfway through would've been questionable.

#7 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

There was a QuickLook or something. I'm pretty sure I watched Brad play it anyway.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5332 posts) -
@MideonNViscera
Ryan did in a live show and he seemed to really enjoy it, but it's a game that requires commitment.
#9 Posted by Humanity (10119 posts) -

Most of the crews feelings range from indifference to being incredibly dismissive about the series and Vinny lost steam partway through, and he doesn't even write reviews.

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

If we're going to be asking why they don't review certain games, we might as well start complaining about Red Dead Redemption and Peace Walker. It's too long ago, at this point to ever bother asking.

#11 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

@Ghostiet: He also had Vinny, Patrick and Will telling him what to do the entire time. I imagine it would have been a much different stream if he was figuring out everything on his own.

#12 Posted by Ghostiet (5332 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot
Yeah, I remember that. Still, he seemed to understand the appeal, so there's that - they normally are a lot more hard-headed about games (Jeff and RDR, cough, cough).
#13 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

@Ghostiet: He also had Vinny, Patrick and Will telling him what to do the entire time. I imagine it would have been a much different stream if he was figuring out everything on his own.

You realize that makes him no different than 50% of other people who played Dark Souls right? Most people used a guide, looked stuff up online, or extensively read the messages/watched bloodstains, and or summoned blues. A large part of the games idea was that you "would" go to other players for help.

#14 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Cos only Vinny liked it and he doesn't write reviews.

The others didn't like it cos they're not big on RPGs anyway and/or they're not crazy masochists.

#15 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

they would have to finish the game first. I dont' even know if Vinny finished the game from what i remember.

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4465 posts) -

Vinny hasn't written a review since 2009. Jeff said (talking about the never published Red Dead review) that they don't have the resources to review really long games. They had Brad write the FF XIII review and that took almost two weeks and then the Red Dead one right after that was another week and that was all Brad could do for three weeks. It's better to have the staff work on many smaller things than a few big things.

#17 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

The real question to be asking is where is the Red Dead Redemption review?

#18 Edited by CptBedlam (4459 posts) -

Everything has been said. I'll just add that it's a little frustrating to constantly hear about Vinny playing the shitty games he gets from Gamefly instead of using his game time for great games like Dark Souls or Lords of Shadow - both of which he apparently really liked but stopped playing for some reason. Instead he finishes turds like Homefront. *shakes head*

#19 Posted by Terramagi (1158 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

Everything has been said. I'll just add that it's a little frustrating to constantly hear about Vinny playing the shitty games he gets from Gamefly instead of using his game time for great games like Dark Souls or Lords of Shadow - both of which he apparently really liked but stopped playing for some reason. Instead he finishes turds like Homefront. *shakes head*

Sometimes you need to go on a sabbatical of utter shit.

I played the entirety of Sonic 2006. I awoke a week later, covered in my own filth, and sobbing uncontrollably. I still can't remember a thing.

#20 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@CptBedlam said:

I played the entirety of Sonic 2006. I awoke a week later, covered in my own filth, and sobbing uncontrollably. I still can't remember a thing.

Sounds hot.

#21 Posted by CptBedlam (4459 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@CptBedlam said:

Sounds like bad Sonic games cause effects similar to Rohypnol. Can't say I'm surprised.

#22 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Because they couldn't finish it

#23 Posted by FourWude (2245 posts) -

A videogame review site that don't review Dark Souls is not a whole videogame review site.

#24 Posted by SpartanHoplite (387 posts) -

Maybe they review it when the easier difficulty levels arrives :P

#25 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

This question gets asked a lot, sometimes about several different games, and the best answer is that they just didn't feel like it. I know it's frustrating having to listen to specific bombcasts or watch lengthy videos just to hear their thoughts on a game that they didn't review, but it is what it is.

#26 Posted by Humanity (10119 posts) -

@huntad said:

This question gets asked a lot, sometimes about several different games, and the best answer is that they just didn't feel like it. I know it's frustrating having to listen to specific bombcasts or watch lengthy videos just to hear their thoughts on a game that they didn't review, but it is what it is.

I much prefer the answer of "we didn't feel like it" than "we didn't have the resources to review a long game like that" cause thats some arbitrary rule made up on the spot. The whole site is based on this freeballing "we felt like it/didn't feel like it" mentality and it can definitely be a double edged sword.

#27 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@CptBedlam said:

Maybe stupid to say this, but the way you phrased this really made my laugh out loud. You have a way with words.

Anyway, I feel the original Dark Souls got a ton of coverage for a game most of them seemed to dismiss, the clearly realized it was a landmark title in some way. I would've loved some coverage of the PC game, maybe one of them trying it (again), but I understand new games are more important.

#28 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Because in the game they didn't live to find out what happens next. Afterwards they gave up and all hope for a review was forever lost.

#29 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

Welcome to vid games journalism. Shit games get tons of coverage, great games get little to none. It all depends on how big the marketing budget is of the publisher of the game.

#30 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

Too busy sucking up to Skyrim.

#31 Edited by Mcfart (1729 posts) -

Well I just got to the Golem boss in Sen's fortress and even with an AI partner, got decimated by his fire-rock throwing buddies.

:(

Also I love DS, but coulden't get into Skyrim. The world/dialogue seems interesting enough, but the combat's so......slow. So their (and everyone else's) gushing over Skyrim really didn't click with me.

#32 Posted by golguin (4054 posts) -

@Mcfart said:

Well I just got to the Golem boss in Sen's fortress and even with an AI partner, got decimated by his fire-rock throwing buddies.

:(

Also I love DS, but coulden't get into Skyrim. The world/dialogue seems interesting enough, but the combat's so......slow. So their (and everyone else's) gushing over Skyrim really didn't click with me.

You can kill his fire rock throwing buddy and he'll be gone forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.