Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Will achievements get some Souls players to finish the game?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

I played Demon's Souls for probably 30 hours. I never finished it. Most of that time was starting new characters, learning new things about the game through forums and then implementing them on my characters. I never had any real desire to "beat" it and just stopped playing it.

Will the prospects of achievements get some more people to go the extra mile and finish the game? I feel it might give me that extra push I needed. In a game like this I want a reward, and achievement is a crappy reward IRL, but its better than nothing...I mean a trophy. I also have no idea if most plan to buy it for PS3 as I've researched zero into platform comparability, I just preordered the 360 version.

If anything I am anticipating some extra fun while grinding out those souls.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

Demons Souls had trophies in it for finishing the game etc so not quite sure what held you back from finishing it if those sort of things are your main motivation for beating a game?

I do enjoy achievements though they make me wanna do stuff that I would normally ignore like trying different weapons etc.

That aside I'd probably finish the game even if it didn't have any achievements because I just have a weird built in need to finish games at some point because I've spent money on them so I need to make good on that investment.

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WizardShazam

I did not need the incentive of trophies or anything to finish the game (despite my having attained a platinum trophy), that was due to me feeling it was the best gaming experience of 2009, but if it takes achievements for someone to finish Dark Souls, then there is nothing bad to say about that. Getting past the perception of these games being some kind of impossible endeavor (far from it, actually) might lead to more people finishing them but I can't imagine achievements/trophies being much more of an incentive for Dark Souls than trophies were for Demon's Souls, especially if the new game is more difficult, as I/we have been hearing.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Questionable

Yep i will totally spend 40 hours worth of grinding just to max every weapon path that i never plan on using! 
    /sarcasm 

Seriously i will never understand achievement hunters, the current system is so messed up i can not grasp the thought of anyone reciving any amount of gratification from it..  

Game A: You have watched the 30 second intro scene, here is a medal for you! 
    Game B: Yep you totally beat that near impossible boss on youre 20th attempt but we wont give you a medal because you used too many recovery items. 

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Timing

Wait, why are Achievements better than Trophies again?

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By destruktive

@Timing said:

Wait, why are Achievements better than Trophies again?

scoring

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By benjaebe

Platinum trophy feels better than 1000/1000 gamerscores if you ask me. I also like the fact that once you get a platinum they can never take it away from you, whereas they can just keep raising the artificial limit on achievements.

That aside, I think that a lot of people will think they're going to get all the achievements and then they'll realize spending 40+ hours farming for one type of stone was a common occurrence and their spirit will be broken.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VanderSEXXX

well I beat this game before on soul level 211 but I remember I didn't even get half the trophies and I think not even one of them is a gold trophy. LMAO. I cannot imagine how much grinding it will take though to get platinum on this game as I remember it took me forever just to even get a grasp of one really rare ore to make a the best weapon I could use. LOL

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Questionable
    @VanderSEXXX said:

well I beat this game before on soul level 211  *  it took me forever just to even get a grasp of one really rare ore to make a the best weapon I could use. LOL

And then there are people like me who just grab a meatcleaver a soul level 40 and be done with it,  pew pew with S/S/-/-/- bigass sword 

The only weapon i have maxed  from stones is that 1 handed axe thats only available in perfect dark 1-1.  that executioner woman took me a few deaths till i finally took her down, was extremely unde-leveled and dealt like 1% damage per hit with my current weapon while she could 2 shot me with just 2 hits of her default 5-hit combo attack. The harder the challenge the sweeter the reward
    Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By James_ex_machina

I'll finish games if they keep my interests. Achievements have caused me to explore more and to replay games. If a game sucks then achievements won't make me finish a game. There are those exceptions such as Avatar or Backyard Football that take 30 minutes to get 1000 achievement points. I'm not going to play a 60+ hour game I don't like to get achievements.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Karkarov

@Questionable said:

And then there are people like me who just grab a meatcleaver a soul level 40 and be done with it, pew pew with S/S/-/-/- bigass sword The only weapon i have maxed from stones is that 1 handed axe thats only available in perfect dark 1-1. that executioner woman took me a few deaths till i finally took her down, was extremely unde-leveled and dealt like 1% damage per hit with my current weapon while she could 2 shot me with just 2 hits of her default 5-hit combo attack. The harder the challenge the sweeter the reward

Not to be a anal douche (about to be too late) but the Meatcleaver was an axe. It did blunt damage and used the two hand axe attack animations. That said lots of people went that route as well as the spoilerfied 1-1 first time demonbrandt/purple flame shield path. Also your work is cool that is what the game is about but you could also get the executioner axe as a rare drop just by farming any normal soldier in world 1 who wielded a 1 hand axe.

Also on topic.... achievements and trophies are the same thing minus some numbers. I don't care about either and I fail to see how anyone will stick with this particular game if they don't like it (it is going to be really hard after all) just to add meaningless numbers onto a mostly meaningless score. Most achievement hunters actually avoid games like this one because it is too hard to get the achievements in the first place.

Pathard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pathard

I finished the game without any lure of achievements. Really, I did it for the satisfaction and the enjoyment. If you need achievements to convince you of finishing a game... then it's probably not a game for you.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By mfpantst

Meh.  I have gravitated to not caring about achievements and being pleasantly surprised when I get one, as opposed to playing for chievements.  So doubt it unless I love the game.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Demon Souls has trophies.

i don't give a shit for other people's achievs/trophies and i don't collect mine to show off how nerd i am, i do it for myself, that's why i don't see a fucking difference between the two systems.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Questionable

@Karkarov said:

@Questionable said:

And then there are people like me who just grab a meatcleaver a soul level 40 and be done with it, pew pew with S/S/-/-/- bigass sword The only weapon i have maxed from stones is that 1 handed axe thats only available in perfect dark 1-1. that executioner woman took me a few deaths till i finally took her down, was extremely unde-leveled and dealt like 1% damage per hit with my current weapon while she could 2 shot me with just 2 hits of her default 5-hit combo attack. The harder the challenge the sweeter the reward

Not to be a anal douche (about to be too late) but the Meatcleaver was an axe. It did blunt damage and used the two hand axe attack animations. That said lots of people went that route as well as the spoilerfied 1-1 first time demonbrandt/purple flame shield path. Also your work is cool that is what the game is about but you could also get the executioner axe as a rare drop just by farming any normal soldier in world 1 who wielded a 1 hand axe.

Also on topic.... achievements and trophies are the same thing minus some numbers. I don't care about either and I fail to see how anyone will stick with this particular game if they don't like it (it is going to be really hard after all) just to add meaningless numbers onto a mostly meaningless score. Most achievement hunters actually avoid games like this one because it is too hard to get the achievements in the first place.

One of my pet peeves is that i go though extreme lengths to achieve a item if i have determined that its superior for my current build. the guilotine axe being just a bit stronger than the regular one meant there was no alternative for me and just had to get it. Not just in stats but animation wise aswell i would take guilotine axe over war axe any day.

The Meatcleaver always looked like a refference to Guts (from berserk) his sword to me, in the manga its always used as a mace due to its monstrous size and in Demon's souls it dealing blunt damage is a nice touch. Have to admit i never used the Demonbrandt i could not stand its long animations and sloppy swings.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karkarov

@Questionable: I agree there was some Gut's referencing indirectly in the game but I think it came in the form of the Dragon Bone Smasher. In Scirvir's own words it was "blunt as a bludgeon" after all.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By plaintomato

@benjaebe said:

Platinum trophy feels better than 1000/1000 gamerscores if you ask me.

Hmmm...the motivation to finish DS was that it was bad ass game and everything new to see was 100% worth working for and worth seeing.

That said, benjaebe is 100% right about Platinum trophies being awesome. I might have a huge gamerscore, or a crap-ton of bronze and silver trophies...but every platinum trophy is a real achievement. Which is why I don't have any. Which is why I acknowledge their greatness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.