Will I like Darksouls?

#1 Posted by Czarpyotr (292 posts) -

If I did not enjoy demons souls?

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19326 posts) -

Definitely not.

#3 Posted by Czarpyotr (292 posts) -

Good to know. Had a gift card I was thinking of using for it but I'll hold off.

#4 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@Czarpyotr: Is there anything in particular (outside of the difficulty, if that's your issue then no, nothing has changed) that you disliked about Demon's Souls? Certain elements were tweaked to make Dark Souls a better game overall, but if you categorically hated it then the sequel won't work for you, either.

After all, it's the same game. It's just refined slightly.

#5 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

A few of the things I read about Demon's Souls make me think I wouldn't like it, even though I really enjoy Dark Souls. The lack of refillable health flask and stage based world sound like turnoffs.

#6 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

The game is way better... but it's basically the same thing so I say no.

It's a game that requires patience and skill.

#7 Posted by Czarpyotr (292 posts) -

@Mirado: I didn't like how much I had to look up in order to figure out systems that would normally be explained, I didn't enjoy the art style/the world that I was exploring, and while I found combat against basic enemies to be pretty darn fun, I felt that some of the tougher monsters were just impossibly difficult (which is why I don't get it when people say you could technically beat the game without grinding or leveling up). I have no problem with difficult games that require patience, but I just felt that demons souls left out some basic explanations of stuff that left me confused and frustrated.

#8 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Czarpyotr said:

@Mirado: I didn't like how much I had to look up in order to figure out systems that would normally be explained, I didn't enjoy the art style/the world that I was exploring, and while I found combat against basic enemies to be pretty darn fun, I felt that some of the tougher monsters were just impossibly difficult (which is why I don't get it when people say you could technically beat the game without grinding or leveling up). I have no problem with difficult games that require patience, but I just felt that demons souls left out some basic explanations of stuff that left me confused and frustrated.

Dark Souls still has all of these things you don't like. Not much is explained, the artstyle is still the same and the combat as well.

EDIT: Which are all big positives for me personally.

#9 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I need more Boardwalk Empire, and more Dark Souls.

#10 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I don't get why people whine about the difficulty. My 7 year old son is on ng+6 right now and is about to go to +7. You just have to learn enemy movements and locations and you can do this.

#11 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

A few of the things I read about Demon's Souls make me think I wouldn't like it, even though I really enjoy Dark Souls. The lack of refillable health flask and stage based world sound like turnoffs.

If you like Dark Souls play Demon's Souls. They are so similar. You just buy a bunch of healing items instead of upgrading flasks and although you go to stages, each stage is like a mini open world designed the same way as Dark Souls. The half health thing in dead form is probably the biggest pain.

#12 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Is the restriction on healing items one the deterrents? If so, let me say that healing items really aren't a problem in that game: you get to a point where you accumulate a great number of healing items off of enemies while merely traversing a level (loot or item drops). Your character can amass up to ninety-nine, which helps out in any prolonged or laborious encounter. But, as for the level construction, it is much more compartmentalized than Dark Souls, as you aforesaid.

#13 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

the big difference for me was that in demon's souls it mattered how you built your character because stat scaling on weapons was so important. in dark souls it's just pump vit and endurance and then whatever you need to equip whatever weapon you like.

#14 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@Czarpyotr Nope. I wouldn't recommend it to you in the slightest after you admitted that you didn't like Demon's Souls. This is the natural progression of that game. Either you're on the boat or your sticking around on shore.
#15 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

You hate taking dildo in the ass, but LOVE getting that dildo out of your ass, taking this thing, and beating the shit out of the fellow that was ripping your ass hole a new one and thus torturing him? Then you'll love Dark Souls.

#16 Posted by Karkarov (3068 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Just so you know in Demon's Souls you actually get more spells that heal, your mana is refillable with consumables and you can carry literally hundreds of healing items on you if you want. Also while the worlds are "stage" based you can quick travel to any "bonfire" (for lack of a better term) from the hub world once you unlock it. Truthfully once you learn the levels getting around in Demon's Souls is quite easy and unlike Dark Souls never requires you to retrace your steps unless you choose to.

#17 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@Czarpyotr: Systems are still nebulous, the art style is more or less the same, and while I think combat has been made easier it's still tricky later on in the game.

The one thing that I would describe as a big plus for you is that grinding has more or less taken a major back seat: with the proper elemental weapons or pyromancy magic, stats are almost totally rendered moot for a large portion of the game, at least as far as attack damage is concerned. It becomes much more reliant on reading enemy patterns and avoiding disadvantageous situations (trapped between two enemies, etc) rather then cranking your strength stat to the point that you hit hard enough (although there are some pieces of equipment that take a bit of grinding to use, none of them are strictly necessary). One might argue that you are replacing time spent grinding with time spend dying, but such is the Souls series.

I doubt the above points are enough to make your experience enjoyable (and depending on your choice of system, the frame rate becomes another issue in some spots), but it may not be as black and white as some people seem to think. Your best bet, if you'd like to give it a try, is to keep some guide handy to explain the systems. Frankly, I consider outside research a part of the experience.

@AndyD74: Because the vast majority of people are used to rushing straight forward and mashing attack, or having their hand held. The Souls series harkens back to the first Castlevania; meticulous enemy placement, a reliance on multiple methods of attack, pattern recognition as a major source of difficulty, etc. Your son pays attention to detail, which is a big part of what makes this series tougher then average.

Dark Souls doesn't beat you, you lose to it. If you fail to recognize the pattern, it hurts you for your mistakes.

#18 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

As someone who just got a PS3 and never played Dark Souls or Demon Souls, what should I play first? I understand that the games are not connected story-wise so is there any reason to play Demon Souls first?

#19 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@AndyD74 That's actually awesome. Your son is the exception, not the rule, though
#20 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@AndyD74 said:

I don't get why people whine about the difficulty. My 7 year old son is on ng+6 right now and is about to go to +7. You just have to learn enemy movements and locations and you can do this.

That can't be, Dark Souls is an M-rated game. You sure you aren't talking about Toy Story 3?

#21 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Stick a cactus in and out of your ass repeatedly.

Do you like the way that feels?

If you answer yes, then you should get Dark Souls.

If you answer no, then you should get Dark Souls and a couple of extra controllers.

Don't worry: just like how sticking that cactus in your ass over and over will eventually make it easier to fit, playing more and more of Dark Souls will eventually make it easier to play through as well.

#22 Posted by TobbRobb (4598 posts) -

@Czarpyotr said:

Dark Souls is all this except taken even further!

You would hate it more.

#23 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

@Mendelson9 said:

As someone who just got a PS3 and never played Dark Souls or Demon Souls, what should I play first? I understand that the games are not connected story-wise so is there any reason to play Demon Souls first?

one reason to play Demon Soul's first? the online functionality will go down sometime this year, which means the time to enjoy it is now and not later when it has no online features.

#24 Edited by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

@jozzy That's funny. :D I don't have a problem with my 7 year old playing a game that shows some blood and hair-covered boobies. Also, my 10 year old just started a dark souls walkthrough series on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPcU3AfFqY&context;=C3e946e3ADOEgsToPDskKm-Lftq7RKZVkPuSq_yZLK We don't have any fancy video capture devices, so he uses our digital camera in "movie mode" to film the tv and catpure 10 minute videos. :)

#25 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Dark Souls improves upon Demon's Souls a good deal, you kind of have to be more specific as to what you didn't like. If it's difficulty then definitely not. If Demon's Souls was too easy (common internet lie), then Dark Souls is a bit harder. If you didn't like the asinine find the monumental quest then Dark Souls is a shitload better. If you don't like diving off cliffs to alter world tendency then Dark Souls is better. And so forth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.