Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

You have about two hours to choose my starting class for me

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By imsh_pl
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

Dark Souls has been out in Europe since friday, and after spending two afternoons looking for it in various stores one retailer has informed that two copies of the game are available in a store located about 40 minutes away from my house. After eating some dinner I intend to drive there and finally purchase this bad boy.

I decided it would be kinda fun to let people choose my starting class for me, since I myself am having some troubles with doing so. So, after I come home with my copy of Dark Souls I'm gonna pick the starting class that gets the most votes. And since something tells me that you sadists are gonna make me start as Deprived I'd like to note that I can chicken out and pick a class different from the one you've chosen and start again tomorrow (granted I'll spend at least 3 hours with it today for sure).

If by some miracle the copies of the game won't be available then I shall still be looking for it, and the poll will be open until I can manage to find a copy.

I'm also planning on doing a blog on my journey through Dark Souls if the feedback in this thread is sufficient enough.

EDIT:Oh and of course option C is Wanderer, not Wandered.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It really doesn't matter in the long run.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

The poll seems to hate you! I'm saying Thief, because I plan to use you as a test subject to see roughly how difficult they are to start with. Also, you get a free Master Key, which means you can pick another gift to go with.

austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By austinmiller

I love the thief. I just started playing and am about 2 hours in. Shes great and the master key is awesome, however, some of the doors you open with the key aren't really places you should be going at a low level. You've been warned.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jacdg

I picked Bandit, it seems like a good choice for physical combat, and you don't need to spend that many points to be able to use magic or a bow. Also, the starting shield is pretty good, blocks all damage, and is apparently pretty poison resistant.

shhetghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By shhetghost

I voted for Deprived just because i'm an asshole.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By imsh_pl

Alright, I'm going.

You bastards.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MezZa

Thief is the best starter for most builds imo. Free master key is nice, and their stats are good in a lot of situations. Just have to be able to backstab early on until you get a different weapon, unless you plan on sticking with a dagger.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By gla55jAw

edit: I meant Bandit, not Wanderer

I'm going to say it depends, I started with a Bandit because he starts with the highest strength, a nice axe, and a poison resistant shield. But basically you want to pick based off how you think you might play. I liked rolling and dodging for a while but eventually felt like I wanted a more melee tank. I finally found some heavier armor but it took me 12+ hours to finally find. Heavy armor is nice now for me since I don't get staggered by huge enemies and I have high Endurance for blocking. But once again, it depends how you want to play. I say try Bandit , or maybe the Pyro so you can have those fireballs and not have to worry about leveling up magic.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By ventilaator

Deprived, obviously.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I went with Wanderer, pretty alright for my first character and I simply adore the Scimitar I started with.
    My other character, a bandit using a 2hander, also seems to work awesome but I think I prefer sword/scimitar and movement over 2h power.
    You really should just try some out, in the end they make little difference.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By retrovirus

I just enjoy the Day9+Hardcore Dave mashup avatar you have there.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By imsh_pl

Ok guys, as promised I picked deprived, and surprisingly everything goes better than expected. I am around the area where Rorie loaded his 2nd character and already have a pretty good wooden shield and a sweet scimitar from the merchant. I gotta say that the starting stats seem to give me quite a bit of an edge.

@RetroVirus said:

I just enjoy the Day9+Hardcore Dave mashup avatar you have there.

Thank you :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.