Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Void

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 15, 2010

Rocket out of the void and save a group of stranded humans from an alien force in Dark Void.

Apparently Dark Void is a bad game

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

Yeah, so, who saw that coming? I didn't. No one said Bionic Commando was "bad" when it was coming out, but people are saying Dark Void is "BAD". How did that happen? This game was initially supposed to ship sometime in early 2009 (and the devs almost got an extra year to get their shit together). How did this happen? How did Morgan Gray and his awesome hat let this happen?  

Makes you think all those delays were not for "marketing reasons".
    aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By aerious

Capcom has been talking about how dissatisfied they are with working with western developers they are lately. Maybe this is part of it, who knows, Bionic Commando wasnt bad but it really wasnt good either.

Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Masakari

Played the demo on XBL. I wouldn't say bad, just as BC wasn't bad. I just get a very big "meh" feeling when playing it - i feel the concept could have been done better, i don't like the art direction (it's very weak), the graphics are absolutely normal, and the gameplay is ok, lacks polish. 

Capcom has been saying how it's been hard working with western developers, the thing is both games (BC and DarkVoid) are pretty hard concepts to nail down and execute correctly, they are both games that, by their mechanics, have a hard time appealing to the general crowd.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Masakari said:
    "i don't like the art direction (it's very weak)"
    I havn't played it, but the screens and movies I've have seen, I would agree. It's like they were trying to be realistic, and got their proportions wrong.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zereta

Its a Meh game. Though, a bit more MEH than Bionic Commando.  

Man, the GB crew is gonna be bummed.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JazzyJeff

This is disappointing to here. I was really looking forward to this game. :(

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yzzerdd

Nolan North as Nathan Drake is the main character, the demo played and looked like something out of 2006.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By asurastrike
    @buzz_killington said:
    " Yeah, so, who saw that coming? I didn't. No one said Bionic Commando was "bad" when it was coming out, but people are saying Dark Void is "BAD". How did that happen? This game was initially supposed to ship sometime in early 2009 (and the devs almost got an extra year to get their shit together). How did this happen? How did Morgan Gray and his awesome hat let this happen?   Makes you think all those delays were not for "marketing reasons". "
    It's a game based entirely on using a Jet pack, of course it's bad.
    shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shulinchung

Actually, if you know some people working in Capcom, you may hear that, just a few weeks ago, even the producer of RE5,  Jun Takeuchi said that they think Dark Void is going to disapoint a lot of people, and he isn't looking foward to co-op with western developers anymore.....
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's sad and kinda funny that I've got far more interest in Dark Void Zero now 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Systech

Wasn't digging the demo. So bad it has to be this way, but not all games that have promise will get even close to meeting that promise.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Pie

Yeah, BC was a good game that suffered from in my opinion some minor problems whilst the demo for dark void was just "eh", "meh", "mmm","huh", "2006", "CAPCOM!?", "gah"

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JJOR64

I think Capcom should stay in-house for all their games now.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Rowr

thanks for hyping it up GB >:(

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nasar7

This game always looked whatevs to me.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crystalskull2

When Capcom lowered their sells expectations,i knew something was wrong.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By spaceturtle

I havent tried it at all. I mean, no demo, no nothing. But since it isnt out yet, I dont think we should go ahead thinking this game i bad because apparently somebody says so.
    Never the less, I couldnt care more. I have no interest in this game so far.

@buzz_killington said:

" Yeah, so, who saw that coming? I didn't. No one said Bionic Commando was "bad" when it was coming out, but people are saying Dark Void is "BAD". How did that happen? This game was initially supposed to ship sometime in early 2009 (and the devs almost got an extra year to get their shit together). How did this happen? How did Morgan Gray and his awesome hat let this happen?   Makes you think all those delays were not for "marketing reasons". "

Why is it bad, u say?
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Rhaknar

the demo was...alright at best. and I liked bionic commando. this will get even worse reviews tho, its easy to see. The graphics are sub par, the shooting is ok if nothing new, the flying seems cool tho, but the enemiy designs are horribly generic imo, and for a game that you can fly everywhere, it seems very empty/ Not even my love for Capcom will make me buy it, at least not for full price

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

big surprise..its a Capcom Game!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Snail

How could it be good? It never looked good! The trailers were horrible! The more I saw of the game the more I pitied it, and the development team! 

The idea of flying around in a jet pack all the time doesn't even sound that great! It sounds repetitive and boring, it's as if a Mario game was to be released in which you didn't need mushrooms because you are big all the time! Where the hell did all the hype come from? I have more interest in the faux-retro prequel it is getting for DSi Ware, and that is because I have spare points to spend! 

I never understood the hype, and I don't understand what exactly disappoints you, all its flaws are beyond predictable.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Novyx

I liked it when I thought the concept was supposed to be vertical cover, and not a flying game without an airplane. Now it's just giving me a very BC feel.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By luce

I called it a looong while ago..it kinda reminds me of that Iron man: the movie game. Interesting looking flight but horrible mission objectives and janky combat.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

Yeahh... Let the Japanese make Capcom games. They seem to know how to make games that appeal to the western market more then the western developed ones do.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MeierTheRed

I just played the demo, and it didn't strike me as a good game at all. Pretty mediocre if you ask me.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Evilsbane

I just don't understand how it went from vertical combat to Crimson Skies. But after watching the quicklook it didn't look terrible to me I am just gonna go home and play the demo.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn
    @Evilsbane said:
    " I just don't understand how it went from vertical combat to Crimson Skies. But after watching the quicklook it didn't look terrible to me I am just gonna go home and play the demo. "
    What do you mean "you don't understand"?  it's from the Crimson Skies guys!
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Evilsbane
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " I just don't understand how it went from vertical combat to Crimson Skies. But after watching the quicklook it didn't look terrible to me I am just gonna go home and play the demo. "
    What do you mean "you don't understand"?  it's from the Crimson Skies guys! "
    I know that, All the early stuff I saw seemed much more focused on the Jet pack being a means of transportation with some light air combat and the rest was running around on foot, the game looks like Crimson Skies without a plane now.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn
    @Evilsbane: well then I'm a fool.  Especially since I haven't been watching any footage of this game for a while so I just assumed all the vertical combat stuff would still be in there. :P
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PureRok

The only thing that interested me was the jet pack stuff. I couldn't care less about the rest of it.

This just makes me realize we need another Pilotwings, except open world.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

Wherever the developers of Crimson Skies are (ex- FASA Studios), they should make a game like this.  

I still think it looks really awesome though. Worth a buy when it gets to the bargain bin.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Jedted

Wow, some people are so quick to jump to conclusions!  I thought demo was fun and the flying controls weren't that bad(better than Iron Man that's for sure). 

I might be in the minority here but it sounded like Jeff liked it in the QL so it can't be all that bad. 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Binman88
    @Jedted said:
    " Wow, some people are so quick to jump to conclusions!  I thought demo was fun and the flying controls weren't that bad(better than Iron Man that's for sure).  I might be in the minority here but it sounded like Jeff liked it in the QL so it can't be all that bad.  "
    Some people like to form their own opinions of demos, and they didn't like it, like myself.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By jakob187

WHY SO MUCH HATE FOR BIONIC COMMANDO?! 

Seriously, that game was a good game.  Maybe you sissies need to kick up the difficulty setting a couple notches and learn how tough as nails and ballin' ass sick that game was!  Even the multiplayer was fun, although broken due to the rocket launcher having a homing function. 

Meanwhile, I had no interest in playing Dark Void the minute I realized it was basically Crimson Skies without planes...or even that many enemies.  Nonetheless, I'll rent it for some achievements...as well as to hear Nolan North jabber on.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Rayfield
    @jakob187 said:
    ballin' ass sick

I, from this point on, will refer to decent games in this fashion.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By GunstarRed
    @jakob187:
    and it has Hadouken robots!
    Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Masakari

Played the demo again, pretty much the same opinion. I don't know what they were doing with the almost extra year they had of development. It's not a bad game, it's just mediocre in every way - design, graphics, gameplay, enemies, etc. 

By comparison, BC was a much better game. Although it has to be said, at least this DV demo gives you a proper idea of what the game is about, the BC demo is a textbook case of what not to do with a demo - buggy, laggy, multiplayer only, no instructions demo. That surely cost BC a ton of sales.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yep its bad...and who does capcom blame? not them selves for stupid concepts, and not for picking bad western developers, but western developers as a whole....some how its western developers as a wholes fault.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Rayfield said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    ballin' ass sick
    I, from this point on, will refer to decent games in this fashion. "
    Man, Mercs 2 was ballin' ass sick now that I think about it.  Especially if you're not a sissy when you play it.
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By C2C

I never got hyped for this game for some odd reason.  The idea was neat but no way was it going to be easy to pull off right.  I doubt it would have made a difference if it was a eastern or western developer.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGremp

The Quick Look looked really fun... D: I might just have to try the demo out myself.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @buzz_killington said:

Regarding your statement on believing that no one said Bionic Commando was "bad". I puked the first time I saw Bionic Commando, it's a real piece of shit. It's like stepping into some pathetic Jamaican fantasy, watching him in his military uniform and on crack while jumping around with a bionic arm, kinda like Spiderman but without the web. This reminds me of Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer. What the fuck was that? Silver Surfer? I bet it was written by some surfing hippie on crack.
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GunnBjorn

I still give this game a chance. 
    The demo was short, so i guess they've got plenty of surprises left. 
    For CapCom, i truly hope so...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.