Anyone else finding the level flow convoluted and obnoxious?

#1 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I keep finding myself infuriated with how difficult it is to figure out where the fuck I need to go next because things tend to be "go here, take branching path, come back, take the other branch, repeat until $$$$," but half the time, just knowing where to go at some point is just like "what the fuck?"

Doesn't help that almost every time I've been lost, my fucking bird can't tell me where to go. It just keeps going to the same door no matter what side of it I'm on. I keep feeling like I'm lost on the alien planet thingy at the end of Half Life.

#2 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Yup. That bird thing is a massive pain. I recently got stuck in the PC version because of a bug that more or less keeps you from being able to leave the dungeon (but you can fast travel from it), and I kept asking the bird where to go. Every time I did, it would fly into the deepest, darkest corner of the dungeon then freak the fuck out when it wasn't the exit.

#3 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Never really had any trouble figuring out where to go.

Then again i wanted to go everywhere and explore every nook and cranny.

#4 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Maybe somebody can answer this: why didn't they just do the Dead Space thing where you hit a button and the floor is illuminated with your target? Every time I hear somebody bring up that bird, it's always in relation to how it makes navigation/pathfinding a hassle.

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22576 posts) -

I agree that the bird (Dust?) is pretty useless (though so was The Watcher from the original mind you) and can sometimes even take you down the wrong path, but I've never gotten myself very lost. Backtracking through dungeons can be a pain, though, like when you and Karn awaken the corrupted Guardian and you have to head back. Hell, exploring through dungeons post their completion was always a nuisance even in the original when I'd go back and scour for any missed collectibles.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Napalm: Most likely because the objectives and puzzles are not on the same plane, are dynamic and change while you are doing them, you frequently need to jump, climb, fly, teleport etc. Not to mention when you have actual little puzzles would the beam just point directly at the object you need to interact with? The navigation is way more complicated then in a corridor crawl fps.

Tho the bird is indeed mostly useless, but i just almost never used it anyway.

#7 Posted by Anomareh (101 posts) -

Nope. I want to go everywhere anyways to try and find all the secrets, collectibles, and hidden chests.

#8 Edited by Giefcookie (611 posts) -

I didn't find the layouts to be confusing but I felt like the middle part of the game was a bit too dungeon heavy. Only thing I really disliked was the 3rd person shooter part. Fuck that.

#9 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

Very much.  The bird sucks, the flow of the game is boring and uninteresting.  I spend more time hitting switches or running up a wall then doing combat or anything fun.  There is no plot advancement besides going to yet another place to do the same puzzles over and over.   

I'm almost done with chapter 11 out of 17 and I really want the game to be over.  I hope the chapters get shorter and shorter.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5976 posts) -

It's designed that way intentionally. This game is nothing but anti-bird propaganda bullshit.

#11 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1173 posts) -

That fucking bird has done nothing but mess me up. The level designs can be incredibly confusing but I am starting to figure it out.

#12 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

I'm just getting bored of the grey-green graveyard area that I'm in right now.

#13 Posted by Deathpooky (1444 posts) -

Not really. I had occasional trouble finding out where to go, but usually it seemed pretty clear as there almost always was one route to take through the dungeon. If anything, the dungeon design seemed pretty obvious and stale. Almost every dungeon had central room with a central puzzle/obstacle and three side routes which clear the way, all of which needs to be done in a certain order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.