Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

Anyone with the PS3 copies of the game?

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By white

Before I run out to get the game for my PS3, I wanna know if anyone of you guys are encountering issues with this version of the game? Any bugs, or lockups? I read the Kotaku review and the version they had was the PS3 version - and they claimed it was busted. Of course, I'd like to have some second/third opinions to verify this.

I've also read that the bugs for the PC are pretty rampant as well. Is it even worth the trouble to get the PC version?

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By JBG4

I'm about 8 hours into the PS3 version, mostly hitting the main quest line, and I haven't ran into anything major. Some small issues here and there but nothing that any other game doesn't have. I would say you should have nothing to worry about if you pick it up.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By impartialgecko

@JBG4 said:

I'm about 8 hours into the PS3 version, mostly hitting the main quest line, and I haven't ran into anything major. Some small issues here and there but nothing that any other game doesn't have. I would say you should have nothing to worry about if you pick it up.

How's the framerate on PS3? I've read plenty of reviews that say "yeah the 360 version is pretty rough so we bet the PS3 version isn't great either" and any PS3 specific reviews out there are from publications with the words "Official Playstation" in the title so you know they're always going to be reliable.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By handlas

Framerate has been fine for me. There is screen tearing it appears and when you are outside with a lot of shadows going on the way the shadows render as you get closer to them is very jarring.

Nothing game breaking but it kind of hurts my eyes to look at it at times. I'm only in the first dungeon tho and once you get in there everything is fine.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JBG4
    @adam1808 It has chugged slightly 2 or 3 times when things were getting really crazy, but it hasn't slowed to a stop, just enough to be noticeable.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Silver-Streak

The original Darksider had a better framerate, less screen tearing, and slightly better lighting on the PS3 than the 360, so maybe this follows the trend, but I haven't found anything to compare it with.

I'm running the PS3 version and haven't run into any issues besides some geometry problems that are part of the game.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrPockets000

Sometimes I wonder if journalists blow up these problems just because. I haven't encountered anything major, just the very occasional slowdown when the action gets really hectic. 

SpiderguyZER0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpiderguyZER0

I'm running the PS3 version, only minor screen tearing and it froze on me once but other than that its been smooth sailing.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The game is perfectly fine. Crashed a couple times, frame rate isn't perfect, but hey, 99% of the time: Totally fine. About 14 hours in. Buy it. Nothing's wrong with it.

yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By yami4ct

I've had very little issues in the 10 or so hours I've played. Very few frame rate hiccups and a bit of screen tearing. In areas with extensive shadows, like the forest, shadow pop in is extremely noticeable. Like, walk on top of a bright area and all of a sudden high detail shadows appear. I expect any version outside PC has that problem. The only real issues I've had was once when I missed a jumped, I ended up falling through the world. I didn't lose much progress so it was more comical than anything.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@yami4ct: I had the opposite bug where Death flew up and over the world, but he managed to land back safely.

Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Snotty
    Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game that looks like it could easily run on the ps2, having framerate issues? Thats pathetic. The original played fine on 360... But both that one and the sequal... It looks like an hd update of a ps2 game. But...No framerate issues on 360 so far. I would hope the ps3 would have no issues either

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ares42

@DrPockets000 said:

Sometimes I wonder if journalists blow up these problems just because. I haven't encountered anything major, just the very occasional slowdown when the action gets really hectic.

I think it's more to point out the fact that one of the SKUs of the game runs at higher resolution with better shaders etc and higher framerate, so compared to something that's already at lower graphical quality it's quite disappointing that even then it struggles with keeping the lower framerate lock. Also, one of the most important rules for the 30 frame standard is that the game should never ever dip below the lock. Letting that framerate standard slip would not be a good thing for us costumers.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By HadesTimes

I have the PS3 version as well. The load times are kind of long, but it's no big deal. Otherwise, the game works quite well and is quite nice to look at.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Zippedbinders

I've found a good shorthand way of understanding whether the PS3 version is bunk or not is if it has a big ass install on the back, if its pretty low, its usually either the lead system or at least well optimized. Every review I've seen mentions screen tearing on both platforms, and thats the worst I've encountered during my time with my PS3 copy. Even then that has only happened on the big outdoor areas with trees and whatnot.

Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snotty

The guy I just referenced was playing the PC version, he glitched out within an hour and gave up

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy

I've played about 4 hours on Ps3 and its run fine for me. No bugs. The framerate is kinda iffy but its good overall.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By white

I just got my PS3 copy and I have to say... Really disappointed. No game-breaking bugs but holy crap the framerate! It starts to dip when there's already more than 3 dudes on screen, and the shadow-texture-popin is pretty eye catching. Not to mention the loan times whenever you pass a loading checkpoint and just switching tabs on the skillset/inventory/map screen.

Darksiders 1 on the PS3 didn't have as bad of a performance so I don't understand why the sequel has that. Not sure if you can install the game onto the PS3 though - didn't see an option for that.

*sigh*

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By kraznor

It froze once, and the shadow issue Jeff stated is in the 360 version seems to be here as well to some degree, but it is generally working okay. Lot of load times though, but I think that's just how it was designed. They aren't long just...kind of break the immersion in a way I haven't seen in a while. Just, going to open a door and "ooops, hang on a sec" more often than I'd like.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

Only thing I've really noticed so far is the way it hangs in menus kinda. More of a minor annoyance.

Also being unable to use the D-pad to navigate the start menu is sorta crazy-making.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Tsoglani

Have had no screen tearing at all whatsoever so far, only 6 hours in, sometimes it seems people just assume if there is problems on one platform then it must be on another. The only annoyance for me so far is what some others said in that they way the menus sort of hang for a second or two.

Also expected it to look a bit better, it can look very ugly up close. Kind of disappointed with the visuals, thought there would be a good improvement over the first game, but still enjoying it overall.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pompouspizza

Guys I have the game pre ordered on ps3 but I also have a 360 which version should I get...unfortunately pc is not an option for me?

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stepside

@HadesTimes said:

I have the PS3 version as well. The load times are kind of long, but it's no big deal. Otherwise, the game works quite well and is quite nice to look at.

Pretty sums up my experience as well. I'm personally really happy with how it looks and plays.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By impartialgecko

@thechronodarkness said:

A game that looks like it could easily run on the ps2, having framerate issues? Thats pathetic. The original played fine on 360... But both that one and the sequal... It looks like an hd update of a ps2 game. But...No framerate issues on 360 so far. I would hope the ps3 would have no issues either

Cute. You should play some PS2 games sometime.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Runs great for me. Haven't noticed any issues that are exclusive to the PS3.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sunspots

Is there word of a patch incoming to fix Some of these issues I'm reading here in this thread? My ps3 copy is enroute via amazon and I can't wait to consume the entire thing.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#28  Edited By beard_of_zeus

Good to know the PS3 version is fairly solid. I have OCD regarding having all the games in a series on the same platform, and I own Darksiders 1 on PS3.

Is there a mandatory install for the sequel?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ares42

Haven't seen anyone else mentioned this yet, so is noone else expriencing the "random" loads? Quite often when I enter a new area or if I go off the beaten path I get like a 5-10 sec of hard loading (with the red circle churning). Is my PS3 just broken, or ?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xSeanZx

@Ares42 said:

Haven't seen anyone else mentioned this yet, so is noone else expriencing the "random" loads? Quite often when I enter a new area or if I go off the beaten path I get like a 5-10 sec of hard loading (with the red circle churning). Is my PS3 just broken, or ?

That happens in the 360 version.

And to the guy who said the PS3 is solid, I have played both, and they are both plagued with the same problems. People who deny this are simply playstation fan boys. Both versions are pretty bad and both need a patch.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

The PC version plays great for me. Except for the fact that the V-Sync option doesn't seem to work, so I had to force it in the Nvidia Control Panel. But other than that, no noticeable glitches or framerate drops.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thechronodarkness said:

Now, obviously you are a despicable troll, and my reply is more or less irrelevant, anyway but...

The PC version, with everything forced through the Nvidia control panel, looks gorgeous. Sure, there are some minor issues, and the occasional texture is ugly, but for the most-part it's an absolute knock-out.

HD update of a PS2 game? What a tool.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hollitz

It's locked up my system like...10+ times in 17 hours. Haven't really noticed any frame rate issues. I did just go into an open area that didn't load all the way. I was trying to complete a quest. So i decided to zone through a door and zone back out to see if the area would load. Instead I opened the door into nothingness and fell for like 15 seconds before taking 10k+ damage. I chose to restart and then the system locked up.So that was a good one.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shaka999

If you ever need a comparison of PS3 vs 360, www.lensoftruth.com is pretty useful. Their breakdowns are in-depth and they have a lot of comparison videos & screenshots

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By glots

Since there seems to be about a bazzillion threads about Darksiders 2 and none of them is titled "Your thoughts of the game so far" I suppose I'll just post this here, because I own the PS3 version. Around 14-15 hours played and the game has jammed up my console twice, so nothing much to complain about. It's been an amazing ride so far, visually possibly the best experience I've had on a PS3. When I look at the first Darksiders, I can't believe this is a sequel to that. Or at least I can't believe that game isn't like, 4-5 years old instead, due to how much they've improved on this. Good choice so far, what comes to GOTY 2012.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.