Alright, we'll get right to the point. I finished Darksiders II once, it took about twenty hours, and it's a good game. However, during that time...
- I couldn't complete two sidequests as they straight up bugged out. The bridge wouldn't lower in the Scar dungeon, breaking it, and another quest had me kill 10 trapped angels... but only 9 of the kills counted, leaving me permanently 1 short.
- Sound channels repeatedly stopped during the game, both in and out of cutscenes. Several scenes went with no voice clips at all.
- Some cutscenes ended suddenly without my input in the controller, mouse, or keyboard. So I ended up missing some story stuff quite randomly. Due to autosave, it was impossible to go back to see what (if anything) happened.
- At least two boss battles totally screwed up as I finished them, causing the camera to just lock in weird places while sounds played offscreen and the animations completed themselves.
- There were a couple occasions where battle music refused to stop playing after fights had ended, and would just loop forever (even over cutscenes) until I restarted the game.
- The in-game menu hardlocked upon exiting at least three times, and I got one BSOD out of nowhere which was also seemingly menu related.
- At another point, deep in the time-consuming depths of the Soul Arbiter's Maze, I used the Steam overlay's browser. After closing it, the game was still running but Death refused to move, effectively frozen in place. Had to restart.
- After twenty waves of the Crucible, I chose to get a reward instead of going onwards. Nothing came out of the chest. I dunno if that was supposed to happen, but I didn't bother with the Crucible afterwards.
- Finally, although well known, the Vsync graphic option doesn't seem to work when enabled in-game. So I ended up getting a lot of screen tearing.
I'm just wondering, was the game this busted for anybody else on GiantBomb? If so, did you find work-arounds or solutions to any of the issues you encountered?
I ask because, while I want to jump right into another playthrough on New Game+, I won't if frustrating issues like these consistently happen again. I played on a computer well beyond the minimum specs of the game, on a fresh install of Windows 7 less than a week old, and I used an Xbox 360 controller while playing. I also hooked up my video card to a TV via HDMI cable and used that as my output device. In all reality I'll probably just wait for a patch, or three, but it's a shame since I really enjoyed the actual game when it was working.