Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

Dude, the camera is atrocious...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JoeyRavn

No, I'm not talking about the autocentering that seems to bother PC users so much. That was addressed in Patch #3. I'm talking about the FoV: the camera is extremely close to Death, to the point that it makes combat x10 harder because I just can't see around me. It only gets worse when you're facing larger enemies or fighting in a very narrow place. Or both at the same time, as it so happens during the Soul Arbiter's Maze. Yeah, the camera moves a bit away from Death during combat, but it keeps the same stupid angle of viewing that completely blocks your peripheral vision. It focuses too much on what's happening right in front of you, but next to nothing on what's happening behind and around you.

I'm trying to like this game, but, so far, I'm enjoying it a lot less than what I enjoyed Darksiders I.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Can't say i had this same problem. Enemies sometimes get off-screen yes, but somehow that never impeded my ability to kick the everliving shit out of them.

But i generally have a very good sense of spacial awareness of the environment and the objects in it. So when enemies are off screen i still know their approximate relative position. /shrug

Plus like you said the camera does pull back.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Darksiders II definitely has some problems, though for me personally the camera wasn't one of 'em.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Try fighting without the lock on, gives you more to work with and it works just as swell as lock on most of the time.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cronus42

I never use the lockon unless I'm fighting a single target. That really seems to help me. I did the same thing in the first game, and the camera has felt similar for both.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

@Cronus42 said:

I never use the lockon unless I'm fighting a single target. That really seems to help me. I did the same thing in the first game, and the camera has felt similar for both.

This. Unless fighting a single enemy (like a boss) don't use lock on.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

Agreed, situation awareness seem more difficult that it seems like it should be, especially in areas with ceilings.

I had some of the same problem with Darksiders one in a few areas (spider town) but nowhere near as much as in Darksiders 2.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Demoskinos said:

@Cronus42 said:

This. Unless fighting a single enemy (like a boss) don't use lock on.

Yeah, fighting one enemy at the time is usually a walk in the park. I've actually stopped using lock-on most of the time when I realized how hard it was to lock onto the target you wanted when you were surrounded by many enemies at the same time. The thing is, fighting without lock-on in these situations makes abilities like Teleport Slash very hard to aim (not that using lock-on makes them easy to aim, since you have to let RT go to press RB). I was fighting the Soul Arbiter a couple of hours ago, the part where he summons one of the those electric knights. Trying to keep tabs on what both of them were doing at the same time was a nightmare. I tried using Teleport Slash once or twice to get away from their path quickly, but the game assumed I was trying to attack the one I wasn't able to see. And then you have to add the fact that the camera sometimes gets closer if you happen to pass over a wall... It makes combat a lot harder than it actually is. There are even times when I'm fighting one enemy, I try to evade and I lose track of it, because the camera

@Tennmuerti said:

Plus like you said the camera does pull back.

But not enough, IMO. I don't have any problem with the combat per se. Pulling out combos and shit? Easy as hell. But when I get mauled by enemies I couldn't even imagine were there... in Apocalyptic, it hurts. It's something that could be easily solved by increasing the FoV, really, which is extremely low in general:

No Caption Provided

I mean, I like the game. It's better than the first one in some aspects, worse in some others, but I generally like it. The combat is fluid and, most of the time, precise. But it's these little annoyances that bring down my overall impression of the game...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.