Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

For those that extensively played it: How bad is the 360 version?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

So I was thinking of picking this up. I haven't played the first one so I don't have previous saves or anything like that. I have a PC that can run it no problem on high settings but I would honestly rather just sit back and play on my 360 hooked up to my nice bigger TV.

I've read many threads where people say oh it's got this and that - but for those who have already put like a good 5 hours into it on the 360 platform - honestly how bad is it? Is it jarringly bad? Do many people experience the lockups? I've heard there are lots of small load times - does that mean stutters just during regular gameplay or is it loading zones?

I don't like gaming on the PC that much and I've been doing a ton of PC gaming as there haven't been a lot of console titles in the last month or so that has interested me - I was hoping Darksiders 2 would be my return to the 360 but now I don't even know anymore. I certainly feel dumb for posting just the other day how consoles are a closed loop and offer more stable and optimized gaming blah blah.

Bottom line: is it dealbreaker bad? Or just average - Jeff made it sound like it's terrible but he exaggerates sometimes. Is it as bad as Dark Souls?

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By morrelloman

I had a hard lock this morning while approaching a boss. Good to note though that I loss no progress at all as a result.

I also had some skipping/jank in the opening cinematic. I'm only like 4 hours in. I know its not the best version, regardless I Love the music.

EDIT: As far as the short loading, I find them a way better alternative to loading an entire area. They generally happen when going thru a door or backtracking when the game doesn't expect you to, never during combat.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By AssInAss

@Humanity said:

So I was thinking of picking this up. I haven't played the first one so I don't have previous saves or anything like that. I have a PC that can run it no problem on high settings but I would honestly rather just sit back and play on my 360 hooked up to my nice bigger TV.

You know, you could always hook up your PC to the TV, and plug in a 360 controller. At least that's what I and some others do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Humanity

@AssInAss said:

@Humanity said:

You know, you could always hook up your PC to the TV, and plug in a 360 controller. At least that's what I and some others do.

Thats not really an option for me

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I have had it lock up once in 18 hours. No other issues.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Clonedzero

ive been playing since this morning, no issues at all.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Neezie

It doesn't run very smoothly, but it's fine I guess.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Played about 6 hours of it so far and have had no issues. So, not bad at all.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

I'm about 7-8 hours in and it's running fine for me. I'd recommend installing it to the hardrive because it cuts the load times in half.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Humanity

@AckbarTheGreat said:

I'm about 7-8 hours in and it's running fine for me. I'd recommend installing it to the hardrive because it cuts the load times in half.

What about stuff like what @Neezie mentioned - does it run smooth or kinda ehhh..

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

I've had some issues with some quests not functioning properly. Although I caught the bug early and reloaded which fixed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's definitely not as bad as Jeff made it sound

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Sambambo

@Humanity said:

@AssInAss said:

@Humanity said:

Without trying to sound nosey, why is it not an option?

It is very simple to do.

Avatar image for baltazar_robotnik
    Baltazar_Robotnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSambo said:

@Humanity said:

@AssInAss said:

@Humanity said:

It is very simple to do.

We don't all have PC's capable of running the newest vidja games, guy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Use the ten dollars you save buying the PC version to buy a long HDMI cable and hook up your TV to your computer.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alternate

It is fine if you are used to 360 gfx. Some tearing, pop-in, frame rate hitching. The most noticeable performance hit for me was the shadow draw in. They would have been better off disabling the shadows all together.

@SuperSambo said:

@Humanity said:

@AssInAss said:

@Humanity said:

It is very simple to do.

Not if your PC is nowhere near the TV it isn't. Wifeys tend to frown on 15m of hdmi cable crossing the hall.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sambambo

@Baltazar_Robotnik said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Humanity said:

@AssInAss said:

@Humanity said:

It is very simple to do.

We don't all have PC's capable of running the newest vidja games, guy.

No, we don't.

The TC does however, as he stated "I have a PC that can run it no problem on high settings but I would honestly rather just sit back and play on my 360 hooked up to my nice bigger TV."

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sambambo

@alternate said:

It is fine if you are used to 360 gfx. Some tearing, pop-in, frame rate hitching. The most noticeable performance hit for me was the shadow draw in. They would have been better off disabling the shadows all together.

@SuperSambo said:

@Humanity said:

@AssInAss said:

@Humanity said:

It is very simple to do.

Not if your PC is nowhere near the TV it isn't. Wifeys tend to frown on 15m of hdmi cable crossing the hall.

Sure, that could easily be frowned upon.

Moving the Computer 15m however seems like the more logical option.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kyelb22

I'm about 5 hours in and I haven't had any issues at all, except for falling of a cliff in a dungeon and the camera not following me down. But that was nothing a simple quick load couldn't fix. This game has a great autosave in it, lost no progress at all. Other than that, looks like another 360 game.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

@Humanity said:

@AckbarTheGreat said:

What about stuff like what @Neezie mentioned - does it run smooth or kinda ehhh..

It's been running pretty smooth for me so far. It dips a bit when there's a lot of enemies on screen, but nothing bad enough to really mess you up.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Deranged

Honestly, besides the fact that graphics obviously aren't up to a par as a top notch PC, the game runs perfectly fine. Just install it to your hard-drive.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Heltom92

Anyone played the PS3 version?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Humanity

@SuperSambo: it's due to what @alternate mentioned. Moving my pc is not an option and is not going to be solved by any amount of HDMI cable - although you can't go too long before losing signal strength anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for the comments, Jeff made it sound like it's TERRIBLE on the 360 so just wanted to get a second, third and fourth opinion before I make my choice. Much obliged.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

The only problem I've had is the few stops to load but they are relatively quick loads so it's not a big deal.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alternate

@SuperSambo said:

@alternate said:

Then you have the issue of having to use the PC in the living room all the time - also a little uncivilized - or moving the damn thing every time forward and back.

The only real solution IMO is to have a separate PC for TV gaming or switch to a high spec laptop that is easy to move around. Both would work but not everyone has the money or wants to spend that kind of cash.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By alternate

@Humanity said:

@SuperSambo: it's due to what @alternate mentioned. Moving my pc is not an option and is not going to be solved by any amount of HDMI cable - although you can't go too long before losing signal strength anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for the comments, Jeff made it sound like it's TERRIBLE on the 360 so just wanted to get a second, third and fourth opinion before I make my choice. Much obliged.

I think he meant in comparison to a high end PC. If it were that bad he, and a lot of other revioewers, would have marked it down. I remember he made special mention of the screen tearing, pre patch, for DS1.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phrali

extensively? Game has been out for 2 days man. But prob someone has clocked 40 hours already i dont understand that shit, even if i didnt have a job, the weather has been real nice the last 2 days i havent touched a video game

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate said:

@SuperSambo said:

@alternate said:

Then you have the issue of having to use the PC in the living room all the time - also a little uncivilized - or moving the damn thing every time forward and back.

The only real solution IMO is to have a separate PC for TV gaming or switch to a high spec laptop that is easy to move around. Both would work but not everyone has the money or wants to spend that kind of cash.

*Slurs words* I use my PC in the living room. What-What are you trying to say, huh?!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By alternate

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

@alternate said:

@SuperSambo said:

@alternate said:

*Slurs words* I use my PC in the living room. What-What are you trying to say, huh?!

Used to get away with that - the other half would flip her shit though. Sometimes you have to go along to get along.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

No issues here.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

I think it's hilarious that people are interrogating you trying to find out why you won't do incredibly stupid and senseless things like buying a 15 meter HDMI cable to run from one end of the house to another or move the PC back and forth when you want to game.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#32  Edited By ADAMWD

I guess I'm probably 4-5 hours in without any lock ups or frame rate issues so far.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Heltom92 said:

Anyone played the PS3 version?

I have. It's perfectly fine. About 14-ish hours in. It did crash on me a couple times, all within the first couple hours. So not a great first impression, but it's been fine since then. Frame rate isn't perfect, but nothing annoying or bad. Totally worth playing if a decent PC isn't an option. Load times aren't great, and there's no option to install, so maybe they're longer than on 360, I don't know.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hangedtoaster

I'm around 19 hours in and the only time I've had a hard lock was when I didn't have it installed to my harddrive so shame on me for not doing that. This next bit has some minor location spoilers regardless I'll make spoiler tag for it.

Other than what I've mentioned above it's been a really great game, I'm looking forward to seeing how it concludes
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Humanity

@xyzygy said:

I think it's hilarious that people are interrogating you trying to find out why you won't do incredibly stupid and senseless things like buying a 15 meter HDMI cable to run from one end of the house to another or move the PC back and forth when you want to game.

Well I welcome all suggestions, but I don't want a pc in the living room thats it. I don't MIND playing games on my 22" monitor at the PC and I have a spare 360 pad so controls aren't an issue. As weird as it sounds I just wanted a reason to get back to my 360 which I haven't touched in a long time, but I also JUST upgraded my PC a week or two ago so thats why I was a little torn. I'm in Europe right now so I got a few more days to make up my mind anyway.

CollyWolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CollyWolly

Everything was fine for the first 6 hours or so. Then I got to the foundry part were Karn follows you and the guardian makes the bridge. I was tired so quit out after first auto save.

Come to find out, I now have a game breaking glitch where Karn disappears and I can't get through the first part of the foundry. Need him to throw me over a gap but he has glitches out. Can't progress story. Gaaarrrrrrrrr.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By kieran_smith5

I have been playing for 24 hours. Frame rate is crap, but it is actually pretty good towards the end. Not really sure why. I am at a point where the game locks up constantly, and it is annoying.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By uberexplodey

I've had a few hiccups with glitches and sound cutting out. Nothing a quit and reload didn't fix.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zelyre

If you own your own home, you can do what I did. HDMI over Cat6. You can do runs of around a hundred feet with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Certified-Bandwidth/dp/B003EE8OL6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345507240&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+cat6

Your wireless 360 controller should reach the PC as well. Now, set up XBMC on the PC and control it with a tablet/phone. Rip all your blu-ray's and DVDs and never have to dig through your library to watch a movie again.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xSeanZx

Why are you guys trying to convince him/critiquing him on his choice to play the 360 version because of his PC situation? get off his back!

Anyways. the 360 version has pretty bad framerate drops. I get pretty frequent freezes as well when it goes to load while transitioning areas. The framerate has made me stop playing this game... I purchased Darksiders 1 and will play that and wait for them to release the patch.... to me it is pretty unplayable. I thought I made a bad choice, but I guess the PS3 version has its own issues as well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Humanity

Well I still haven't bought it but I've been hearing some pretty bad things overall concerning bugs and stuff. I'm not so in love with the series to play from the start if I get some progress breaking bug so I think I'll just wait for a sale. Too bad as I was thinking "August I'll finally get back into gaming!" Well I won a copy of Dirt 2 on SteamGifts and that game has been a ton of fun - in totally unrelated news. Might get Dirt 3.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xSeanZx

Its nothing game brreaking, its just that the framerate is really really shitty. Although apparently towards the end of the game it becomes perfect which I have heard from multiple places

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.