I think my OCD is preventing me from enjoying this game...

#1 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

Firstly, I S ranked the original Darksiders. I absolutely loved it for it's modern spin on the Zelda formula, the God of War combat system, etc. That being said, I'm not enjoying Darksiders II nearly as much.

I'm not sure but I think it's due to the loot system. I detest it to the core of my being. I hated in in WoW and every game since then to try incorporating the idea. It seems to me that it has severely impacted the formula the original game used. In the original Darksiders you knew that every chest you found was going to be important. It would have an abyssial shard, etc. It's been awhile since I've played the original game but I remember being thrilled with every chest I found. In Darksiders II, I couldn't care less about most of the chest unless it the ones that have the maps or keys. Yay! Another green piece of loot dropped *troll face*

The reason I mention my OCD is because now I feel like I need to spend hours running around trying to create and find the perfect gear instead of just enjoying the game. I also don't recall running into bosses I couldn't beat. I ran into Gorewood and was annihilated and had to come back later. The OCD part of me says, "If you can't beat him now then you're doing something wrong!" Argh! I made it all the way to the bottom of "The Deposed King's Lair" last night just to be curb stomped by the end boss. Nothing up until then could even scratch me. The loot factor in this game as taken away my ability to just enjoy exploring because now I have to tweak my character to a hardcore degree in order not to run into a brick wall somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I'm just being nit-picky. Logically I know the game is technically and mechanically better than the original but some of its new systems drive me nuts.

#2 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

It's one of the games where you really shouldn't worry about loot. Most of the stuff I've found is usually on par with the things I already have. It's like Borderlands where if you find a really good weapon, like a possessed weapon, you're going to end up using that weapon for a while. Also Argul is a pain in the ass it took me probably 5 tries to kill him. Dodge to the sides and not backwards. There really are no brick walls as long as you're the right level.

#3 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

@Zombieheadbutt:

Everything you are saying is technically true.

The difference however for someone like myself is that I personally hugely enjoy pimping out my character in awesome gear. So the loot aspect makers the game much better not worse.

Another great thing about Darksiders is that your gear can compensate for your skill, but it goes both ways and your skill can compensate for your gear. I was not geared at all killing Gorewood on the first try, and Deposed King is a lvl 20 side boss (read stronger then regular boss, because he is optional) yet i know people are killing him as low as lvl 13-15.

If you want to feel better about chests think of them as potential for epic and posessed weapons, if not that then as food for your posesed weapons to make them even stronger. Also the best quality random loot is in more badass hidden chests. There are also unique items scatered throughout the game world either in hidden places or for defeating bosses including optional ones etc.

But honestly the regular game on normal defficulty setting should be a piece of cake. The real challange are either Abyssal difficulty and/or the Crucible.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

Honestly with you. Not enjoying it nearly as much as the first. Its not bad its just...I think they wanted to really be an RPG without fully comittung to the idea which leaves it in a really odd place at least it does for me. Also, I just find Death insufferable as a character. When death is making wise cracks at people which he occasionally does I can't really take the more seriously which then in turn just makes me not like anything going on.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

Meant "lore" damn mobile site.....

#6 Edited by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I looove Death as a character. The contrast between him and War makes them both mutually more interesting for me. They are who they are and are comfortable in their old shoes.

Also death without some sort of sense of humor would be weird and offputing for me. So the wisecracks are spot on in that regard as far as his personality goes and as I see him. (not that he makes them that frequently anyway) Nor did i see honestly Darksiders universe very serious in the first place tbh. (or it's lore)

Death is the highlight of the game for me, which i did not excpect at all going in o.O

#7 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

Well, just embrace your "OCD" (which is not OCD, but whatever). There's no right or wrong way to play a game, and certainly you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. If you spend two hours comparing weapons to see which one is better because you feel you need to do it, go for it. Stop trying to impose on yourself a way of playing the game that doesn't feel natural for you.

Also...

@Zombieheadbutt said:

I'm not sure but I think it's due to the loot system. I detest it to the core of my being. I hated in in WoW and every game since then to try incorporating the idea.

Loot-heavy games have been around for a lot longer than WoW. Just saying.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -
@Tennmuerti I guess I can applaud them for not making him a gloomy badass that you think he would be but I dont know Im just not buying in on the world this time around. I dare say I regret buying it almost. Dunno I've been too busy with Sleeping Dogs to really focus. Might have a change of heart later once I really focus on it.
#9 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

Sounds great. Means my second playthrough might end up being a very different Death than my first playthrough.

You're right about every chest having something good in it in Darksiders, but that also means that once you've completed the game, you've seen all there is to see and get. In Darksiders 2, it seems like a second playthrough will still hit a lot of the same beats but you might do a bunch of things you didn't even touch the first time around.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

Loot's not for everyone. It's a glorified slot machine, after all. I can understand why it would be off-putting if you aren't the type to grin at the sight of orange letters and big stat boosts. Keep at it, though; loot lust can take awhile to kick in.

#11 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Zombieheadbutt:

I'm pretty much in the opposite boat. Thanks to the loot system, they can have many more treasure chests in the world, and each and every one is meaningful, and might even surprise me with a great piece of 'dream' gear. Hell - we can even feed useless gear to possessed weapons, or sell it for gold. It's a fun economy, is what I'm saying.

It's been awhile since I played Darksiders, but I definitely enjoy the lootgame and character progession a whole lot - and the game's a big step up from the first game, in every way, in my book.

#12 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

You're mostly forgetting that many of the chests in Darksiders 1 had health, money, or wrath in them. It was much closer to God Of War's style of chests. Sure there were important ones, but they weren't any more common than they are in Darksiders 2. Also, don't sweat the loot, just stick with possessed weapons and ones you get from bosses, sell the rest. I guess there's some Persona-esque crafting you can get into with possessed weapons, but its nothing to really tear your hair out about.

And, yeah, if you didn't beat Gorewood or any other optional boss in your first encounter, you WERE doing something wrong. Which is to say you weren't at an appropriate level. Optional bosses have a long history of being in places where you'd easily get your ass handed to you at.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

My dyslexia thought this was a thread about COD.

Online
#14 Posted by Deathpooky (1380 posts) -

Totally agree with regard to the meaningless chests everywhere. It kind of defeats the purpose of exploration if you find stuff everywhere but 95% of what you find is useless fodder loot. Some of the collectibles and sidequests provide more long term bonuses or unique items, but even that's generally outstripped by the few really good items you find at random. And the chest system creates weird incentives where I'll find a trove of chests and leave them for a few levels if I'm happy with my current level gear. I enjoy the loot and customization, and the fact that the difficulty ramps enough to make well-built characters seem useful, but the loot system borked other parts of the game that worked in the first.

In a lot of ways it's taken the metroidvania aspect out of the formula since the inaccessible chests or areas are hardly ever going to have something helpful. Seeing out of reach items and areas is half the fun of a game like this, but when I know it's just going to have random green loot item I don't feel nearly the pull to go back and get it, or interest in the heart piece or helpful item what could be there. I don't have that same rush to revisit previous areas to use new items as in other games of this type. Also the fact that the collectibles are kind of a mess and I know I won't get all has stopped me from being completionist in that part of the game.

#15 Edited by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Zombieheadbutt:

I'm pretty much in the opposite boat. Thanks to the loot system, they can have a many more treasure chests in the world, and each and every one is meaningful, and might even surprise me with a great piece of 'dream' gear. Hell - we can even feed useless gear to possessed weapons, or sell it for gold. It's a fun economy, is what I'm saying.

It's been awhile since I played Darksiders, but I definitely enjoy the lootgame and character progession a whole lot - and the game's a big step up from the first game, in every way, in my book.

I am eternaly gratefull we will not be exchanging essays over Darksiders 2.

:D

#16 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

It's one of the games where you really shouldn't worry about loot. Most of the stuff I've found is usually on par with the things I already have. It's like Borderlands where if you find a really good weapon, like a possessed weapon, you're going to end up using that weapon for a while. Also Argul is a pain in the ass it took me probably 5 tries to kill him. Dodge to the sides and not backwards. There really are no brick walls as long as you're the right level.

In regards to Argul, what annoyed me was fighting to the bottom of the dungeon with no indication that I was out of my depth. I had to fast travel out of the dungeon and later over-wrote the checkpoint so that I'd have to fight my way back through the dungeon when I came back. The dungeons in the game are designed in such a way as to make going back through them annoying.

#17 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Zombieheadbutt:

Everything you are saying is technically true.

The difference however for someone like myself is that I personally hugely enjoy pimping out my character in awesome gear. So the loot aspect makers the game much better not worse.

I enjoy tweaking my character to a degree. I've put in over 280 hours into Skyrim but the difference here is that the character development system is accommodated by the mechanics of the game. The enemies in Skyrim level with your character and I never had to vacant an area but I was getting my ass handed to me by math. Like I said, Darksiders II is a good game it just has it's flaw and for me those flaws are sort of pet peevish. :)

I was not geared at all killing Gorewood on the first try, and Deposed King is a lvl 20 side boss (read stronger then regular boss, because he is optional) yet i know people are killing him as low as lvl 13-15.

I felt that if I took the time to learn Argul's patterns I could have beaten him but it would have taken an hour of whittling him down and just one hit would kill me so there isn't any room for mistakes. Some people really enjoy the challenge...I say they're crazy.

If you want to feel better about chests think of them as potential for epic and posessed weapons, if not that then as food for your posesed weapons to make them even stronger.

Another thing that annoyed me was how vague the game is on how possessed weapons work. It's core concept is very basic but it took hours of internet scouring to find anything resembling a comprehensive idea of how they level. Part of the beauty of games like WoW is how transparent the character development system is. You know exactly how your stats affect your character. WoW didn't start that way of course but since WoW is at least 5 years old now it shouldn't have been that hard to make this mechanic a little for clear.

But honestly the regular game on normal defficulty setting should be a piece of cake. The real challange are either Abyssal difficulty and/or the Crucible.

The main quest in the game isn't that difficult, I agree. Again, I'm pointing out my OCD tendencies here and I know I'm letting it get the better of me. I'm thinking of just trying to run through the main game and then going through it again to get everything.

#18 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Loot pisses me off too, I prefer games without it.

#19 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

Well, just embrace your "OCD" (which is not OCD, but whatever). There's no right or wrong way to play a game, and certainly you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. If you spend two hours comparing weapons to see which one is better because you feel you need to do it, go for it. Stop trying to impose on yourself a way of playing the game that doesn't feel natural for you.

Also...

@Zombieheadbutt said:

I'm not sure but I think it's due to the loot system. I detest it to the core of my being. I hated in in WoW and every game since then to try incorporating the idea.

Loot-heavy games have been around for a lot longer than WoW. Just saying.

I would have been better for me to say OCD tendencies. I've obviously not be diagnosed with OCD or I might have to run 3 circles around every room I enter in the game. I wasn't trying to justify any one particular way of playing the game but rather I was pointing out why the new loot mechanics of the game were irritating me. I played WoW for around 3 years so I didn't loath the system then but I don't like it in my Zelda game.

I know it wasn't the first game to use loot but it probably the one to popularize it besides Diablo.

#20 Edited by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

@Zombieheadbutt said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

It's one of the games where you really shouldn't worry about loot. Most of the stuff I've found is usually on par with the things I already have. It's like Borderlands where if you find a really good weapon, like a possessed weapon, you're going to end up using that weapon for a while. Also Argul is a pain in the ass it took me probably 5 tries to kill him. Dodge to the sides and not backwards. There really are no brick walls as long as you're the right level.

In regards to Argul, what annoyed me was fighting to the bottom of the dungeon with no indication that I was out of my depth. I had to fast travel out of the dungeon and later over-wrote the checkpoint so that I'd have to fight my way back through the dungeon when I came back. The dungeons in the game are designed in such a way as to make going back through them annoying.

Once you go through the Tomb of the Deposed King you can open a shortcut at the end right before the lift to the boss. Likewise almost every dungeon on the game creates several shrotcuts as you keep going through them.

@Zombieheadbutt said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Zombieheadbutt:

Everything you are saying is technically true.

The difference however for someone like myself is that I personally hugely enjoy pimping out my character in awesome gear. So the loot aspect makers the game much better not worse.

I enjoy tweaking my character to a degree. I've put in over 280 hours into Skyrim but the difference here is that the character development system is accommodated by the mechanics of the game. The enemies in Skyrim level with your character and I never had to vacant an area but I was getting my ass handed to me by math. Like I said, Darksiders II is a good game it just has it's flaw and for me those flaws are sort of pet peevish. :)

I was not geared at all killing Gorewood on the first try, and Deposed King is a lvl 20 side boss (read stronger then regular boss, because he is optional) yet i know people are killing him as low as lvl 13-15.

I felt that if I took the time to learn Argul's patterns I could have beaten him but it would have taken an hour of whittling him down and just one hit would kill me so there isn't any room for mistakes. Some people really enjoy the challenge...I say they're crazy.

If you want to feel better about chests think of them as potential for epic and posessed weapons, if not that then as food for your posesed weapons to make them even stronger.

Another thing that annoyed me was how vague the game is on how possessed weapons work. It's core concept is very basic but it took hours of internet scouring to find anything resembling a comprehensive idea of how they level. Part of the beauty of games like WoW is how transparent the character development system is. You know exactly how your stats affect your character. WoW didn't start that way of course but since WoW is at least 5 years old now it shouldn't have been that hard to make this mechanic a little for clear.

But honestly the regular game on normal defficulty setting should be a piece of cake. The real challange are either Abyssal difficulty and/or the Crucible.

The main quest in the game isn't that difficult, I agree. Again, I'm pointing out my OCD tendencies here and I know I'm letting it get the better of me. I'm thinking of just trying to run through the main game and then going through it again to get everything.

There are enemies in Skyrim that are quite static in their stats and difficulty and don't level with you as much. For example the Dragon Priests. (there are plenty other examples) Skyrim opverall system is mostly a cushioned for an easier time for players. Where you see a flaw because parts of Darksiders 2 are more difficult thern others, I see a feature, something to be admired, that a game is not a complete easy slog from start to finish but offers curveballs from time to time, something to get your teeth into now and again (optional at that). Another flaw of Skyrims system is that it is also susceptible to breaking one way or another, either by being too generalist and making enemies too high level compared to your power, or using a couple of it's systems to become an all powerfull God with little effort. And Darksiders 2 is miles away compared to Souls series game in terms of difficulty.

Arguls patterns are quite simple and can take at most a few tries to learn (he only changes them once halfway through the fight), what can I say /shrug. If you feel like you are underleveled (which you were) it's simple to come back and try him later. It's what i did after loosing a few time the first time. Coming back to him takes almost no time, it's a straight down the spiral steps, to the lift and a short corridor.

The developers explained the possessed weapon mechanics in several videos, including the one on this very site the QL:EX. Nor does it take much experimentation to find out, the game even highlights which stats can be added when you feed a weapon. The point about WoW you are trying to bring up is completely not in your favour. I'm quite sure you did not know a huge huge amount about it's various stat and gear systems when you first started playing, all that knowledge and understanding is built up over quite a lenght of time, anmd you have to dig quite deep indeed by yourself outside the game on thweorycrafting sites if you want true depth of knowledge. Not to mention it's systems have been reworked a dozen times over the years and was nowhere near as transparent for a long time.

I understand your general sentiment. But now you are trying to level quite a few what I feel like are unfair arguments towards the game (with the possible exception to a bit obscure posessed weapon mechanics i'll give you that). Not that the game is without it's faults either.

Also you need to start deciding just how far you are willing to take your OCD in Darksiders 2, because if you are annoyed now the collectibles are going to piss the shit out of you :P

#21 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

@Tennmuerti:

Once you go through the Tomb of the Deposed King you can open a shortcut at the end right before the lift to the boss. Likewise almost every dungeon on the game creates several shrotcuts as you keep going through them.

You're right, most of the dungeons in DSII have shortcuts leading to the final boss. What bothers me is having to fight any enemies that respawn once you return. I don't remember where the shortcuts drops you but hopefully there aren't many mobs you have to fight through. It's a minor annoyance. Probably not something I should let affect me.

There are enemies in Skyrim that are quite static in their stats and difficulty and don't level with you as much.

I remember there being static enemies in Skyrim but I don't recall that ever being an issue. I can only remember ever having one difficult fight in Skyrim and, ironically, it was the very first Dragon Priest I encountered. Skyrim is vastly more open than DSII is and for that reason I don't believe your character level ever impacted the game. In DSII, it being more linear, your character level and stats have a larger impact on progression because you're bottle necked. Enemies you run into out in the open give so little xp that grinding isn't really an option if you want to power level which is something I always do if I'm playing a rpg-esqe game. The largest source of xp in the game is from quest and most of them involve mobs that you'll have to come back to later or some insane collectables you can't actually finish until the end of the game. There were some nice side quest at the beginning of the game in Forge Lands but they seem to have completely disappeared in the the Realm of the Dead.

Where you see a flaw because parts of Darksiders 2 are more difficult thern others, I see a feature, something to be admired, that a game is not a complete easy slog from start to finish but offers curveballs from time to time, something to get your teeth into now and again (optional at that).

See, this is where I disagree. The original Darksiders was, admittedly, easy. It was all about exploration which is a feature it shares with the game it so blatantly ripped off: Zelda. By adding this new loot and stat system they've essential taken away from the joy of exploration. The combination of these systems ruin exploration. The enemies in the original game were there to set the atmosphere and make War feel like a badass. Once you understood how an enemy functions you need only apply the skill and reflexes necessary to kill it. In DSII, there are enemies that will one shot you simply because your gear isn't good enough or you're not high enough level. I don't explore anymore I just run along the main quest line until I know I'm so powerful I can back track and annihilate what I passed up earlier. I'm trying to imagine how much I would hate God of War if it had a similar system

And Darksiders 2 is miles away compared to Souls series game in terms of difficulty.

Funny you should mention the Souls games. I loved Dark Souls! Dark Souls, to me anyway, isn't about exploration. It's about winning. It about beating the system. I knew that going in. I was able to grind my character into a finely hone killing machine by understanding the system and essentially cheating it and I think the developers understood you'd try that very thing. I hate going to new areas in Dark Souls. No horror game has ever came so close to make me afraid to go around the next corner. Dark Souls isn't about puzzles or exploration. Before you ask yes, I don't mix my green peas and mashed potatoes together. They're eaten separately, just the way I like my exploration and puzzle games.

Not to mention it's systems have been reworked a dozen times over the years and was nowhere near as transparent for a long time.

It's been awhile since I've played WoW but the last time I played I could discern almost any facet of how my character works by mousing over a state or looking in the right window. Theorycrafting existed but it was more about which stats where better rather than how the impacted the character. In this case, the possessed weapons were a complete enigma to me and the fact that they were so rare cause me to not want to mess with them until I was sure how they worked. i don't mean how the function but how much of a % boost a green item or purple item will give even if they have the some % crit chance on it. Will one cause it to boost higher when it levels? Thats the kind of thing that drives me mad. I also mentioned that the game took awhile to reach that level of transparency. If they're going to ape the system then why not go all the way?

I understand your general sentiment. But now you are trying to level quite a few what I feel like are unfair arguments towards the game (with the possible exception to a bit obscure posessed weapon mechanics i'll give you that). Not that the game is without it's faults either.

My argument is revolving around the fact that the game isn't playing to it's strengths. The mechanics they've added to the game interfere with the formula they perfected in the first game which is to say they made a better Zelda game. I think I also need to replay the original and then come back to DSII. I feel like I might be looking at it with rose tinted glasses but I do remember having much more fun with the original without having to worry about gear or level.

#22 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

When I play a game I usually finish most or some of the side quests but my main goal is to see the main story. On the second playthrough I go and find everything.

A person who hates loot? WOW!

#23 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

When I play a game I usually finish most or some of the side quests but my main goal is to see the main story. On the second playthrough I go and find everything.

A person who hates loot? WOW!

Some games don't feel like loot is necessary. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I don't think anyone would say to put loot in Zelda. They like Zelda for what it is which is a exploration/puzzle games. Anything else just gets in the way. If you enjoy it though I tip my hat.

#24 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@Zombieheadbutt said:

@phrosnite said:

When I play a game I usually finish most or some of the side quests but my main goal is to see the main story. On the second playthrough I go and find everything.

A person who hates loot? WOW!

Some games don't feel like loot is necessary. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I don't think anyone would say to put loot in Zelda. They like Zelda for what it is which is a exploration/puzzle games. Anything else just gets in the way. If you enjoy it though I tip my hat.

Yeah, but there is a lot of fighting in D2, not to mention the crucible mode. Loot is necessary. Makes the combat even more fun.

#25 Edited by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

@Zombieheadbutt said:

I remember there being static enemies in Skyrim but I don't recall that ever being an issue. I can only remember ever having one difficult fight in Skyrim and, ironically, it was the very first Dragon Priest I encountered. Skyrim is vastly more open than DSII is and for that reason I don't believe your character level ever impacted the game. In DSII, it being more linear, your character level and stats have a larger impact on progression because you're bottle necked. Enemies you run into out in the open give so little xp that grinding isn't really an option if you want to power level which is something I always do if I'm playing a rpg-esqe game. The largest source of xp in the game is from quest and most of them involve mobs that you'll have to come back to later or some insane collectables you can't actually finish until the end of the game. There were some nice side quest at the beginning of the game in Forge Lands but they seem to have completely disappeared in the the Realm of the Dead.

The thing is that you are never ever bottlenecked by the main game. The difficulty is not there. And your level is always just fine for the main content, because the xp curve will ruber band you. The only swing in difficulty here is in side content. And as I have already stated even that can be overcome with skill. That's the great thing about Darksiders 2 gear can compensate for skill and visa versa. If you are good at both then itg's super easy (hence further difficulty settings)

See, this is where I disagree. The original Darksiders was, admittedly, easy. It was all about exploration which is a feature it shares with the game it so blatantly ripped off: Zelda. By adding this new loot and stat system they've essential taken away from the joy of exploration. The combination of these systems ruin exploration. The enemies in the original game were there to set the atmosphere and make War feel like a badass. Once you understood how an enemy functions you need only apply the skill and reflexes necessary to kill it. In DSII, there are enemies that will one shot you simply because your gear isn't good enough or you're not high enough level. I don't explore anymore I just run along the main quest line until I know I'm so powerful I can back track and annihilate what I passed up earlier. I'm trying to imagine how much I would hate God of War if it had a similar system

I don't see how loot ruins exploration. You can explore just as much. There is more to explore and shit to find, secrets, side bosses etc.

Also same for understanding enemies in Darksiders 2, if you know how they work gear doesn't matter. The only enemy who can one shot you in the entire game is the Deposed King because he is the hardest single side boss in the entire game. People are given access to him early because a lot of people enjoy the extra challange. That feeling of overcoming something you aren't supposed to at your level is exhilarating! There is literaly no other side content where your gear/level is at issue.

You skipping stuff is your own perogative, the game doesn't have to be played that way at all. But if you just want to leave that content great! the game provides for that too, either way you want it. Want some challange takle the nharder side stuff earlier. That is how a lot of RPGs work.

I have this huge feeling that you are letting this one side boss chage your entire view on the game.

Funny you should mention the Souls games. I loved Dark Souls! Dark Souls, to me anyway, isn't about exploration. It's about winning. It about beating the system. I knew that going in. I was able to grind my character into a finely hone killing machine by understanding the system and essentially cheating it and I think the developers understood you'd try that very thing. I hate going to new areas in Dark Souls. No horror game has ever came so close to make me afraid to go around the next corner. Dark Souls isn't about puzzles or exploration. Before you ask yes, I don't mix my green peas and mashed potatoes together. They're eaten separately, just the way I like my exploration and puzzle games.

And Darksiders 2 has become more of a hybrid game. They've added all these things like loot deliberately and were very upfront about it.

Again whatever exploration there was in the first Darksiders (which if we take the rose tinted goggles off was not thatg extensive actually) is just as present in this game.

It's been awhile since I've played WoW but the last time I played I could discern almost any facet of how my character works by mousing over a state or looking in the right window. Theorycrafting existed but it was more about which stats where better rather than how the impacted the character. In this case, the possessed weapons were a complete enigma to me and the fact that they were so rare cause me to not want to mess with them until I was sure how they worked. i don't mean how the function but how much of a % boost a green item or purple item will give even if they have the some % crit chance on it. Will one cause it to boost higher when it levels? Thats the kind of thing that drives me mad. I also mentioned that the game took awhile to reach that level of transparency. If they're going to ape the system then why not go all the way?

You played WoW for a long time. Almost every statement I made in the earlier post holds still for what you just wrote. Possessed weapons are something you encountered for the first time in a new game. I'm not talking about the last time you played WoW after years of polish and years of personal experience. But the first time when it was a new game in the rough, and you had 0 experience with it. Those are what can be compared not the current WoW and your current knowledge base.

Because aping WoW all the way would be really boring and pointless. Not every game needs to ne anothers carbon copy. They chose certain aspects of the loot system (which these days is mostly universal not exclusive to WoW) and put their own little spin on it: posessed weapons. Which by all acounts seem to be a mostly universal sucess in that people have taken to the feature.

(All feeding a particular stat does to a posessed weapon is unlock that stat at level up, their amunt depends soley on posessed weapons level.)

My argument is revolving around the fact that the game isn't playing to it's strengths. The mechanics they've added to the game interfere with the formula they perfected in the first game which is to say they made a better Zelda game. I think I also need to replay the original and then come back to DSII. I feel like I might be looking at it with rose tinted glasses but I do remember having much more fun with the original without having to worry about gear or level.

Heh i made my comment about goggles earlier on without having yet read this. Seems we are starting to think a bit similarly.

I just don't feel they lost any exploration that there was in Darksiders in the sequel. There is in fact more shit to find. Unique loot included. Aside from Abyssal armor all you fond in Darksiders was xp and life/wrath pool exanders. (and there is abyssal armor in 2 too, it's just harder to get and also requires exploration)

EDIT:

One thing that i do knock Darksiders 2 for is obfuscation in terms of stats. Some are self explanatory like crit etc. But others like STR/ARC/DEF while generally understandable are annoying in not telling you exactly how much the numbers matter. This hugely extends to unique gear which often has obscure unexplained properties and effects. Plus i don't disagree with you in regards the possessed weapon explanation, it could have been done better ingame (i just put less weight on it)

#26 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Zombieheadbutt said:

Firstly, I S ranked the original Darksiders. I absolutely loved it for it's modern spin on the Zelda formula, the God of War combat system, etc. That being said, I'm not enjoying Darksiders II nearly as much.

I'm not sure but I think it's due to the loot system. I detest it to the core of my being. I hated in in WoW and every game since then to try incorporating the idea. It seems to me that it has severely impacted the formula the original game used. In the original Darksiders you knew that every chest you found was going to be important. It would have an abyssial shard, etc. It's been awhile since I've played the original game but I remember being thrilled with every chest I found. In Darksiders II, I couldn't care less about most of the chest unless it the ones that have the maps or keys. Yay! Another green piece of loot dropped *troll face*

The reason I mention my OCD is because now I feel like I need to spend hours running around trying to create and find the perfect gear instead of just enjoying the game. I also don't recall running into bosses I couldn't beat. I ran into Gorewood and was annihilated and had to come back later. The OCD part of me says, "If you can't beat him now then you're doing something wrong!" Argh! I made it all the way to the bottom of "The Deposed King's Lair" last night just to be curb stomped by the end boss. Nothing up until then could even scratch me. The loot factor in this game as taken away my ability to just enjoy exploring because now I have to tweak my character to a hardcore degree in order not to run into a brick wall somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I'm just being nit-picky. Logically I know the game is technically and mechanically better than the original but some of its new systems drive me nuts.

i understand OCDing gear, but OCDing the fact that you cant beat a boss which is clearly not for your level, in a game where you gain levels... makes no sense whatsoever. And im super OCD with games (just got everything in Sleeping Dogs...why? I dont know, most of it was pointless and i still did it..."if its on the map" is why)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.