I'm getting a strong Soul Reaver vibe as opposed to Zelda

#1 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1005 posts) -

With the first Darksiders, it was fairly apparent in structure, tone, chimes, items and so on that it was similar to Zelda.

With Darksiders 2 however, I feel the game has come unto its own, but I can't help but feel this game has a striking resemblance (while maintaining it's own identity) to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Perhaps it's that both games are open and have similar puzzle solving dungeons, and the tone of course, but it's making me love this game even more and really nostalgic and anxious for a new Legacy of Kain game.

Just wondering if anyone else felt the resemblance or not?

I'd like to make it clear, this game is its own beast, and I'm not saying it "rips-off" Soul Reaver. I'm just saying the aesthetic and tone, with the platforming and puzzle solving remind me of it heavily.

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great:

Yea. Also:

The voice actor who voiced Kain in original Soul Reaver actually voices one very significant character in this game (not gonna post spoilers)

#3 Posted by handlas (2685 posts) -

Think I only played 1 Soul Reaver game... can't remember it well. Haven't played a Zelda game in forever either so that is lost on me.

Game feels like Prince of Persia to me with all the running up walls and jumping from poles and stuff.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11136 posts) -

@handlas said:

Game feels like Prince of Persia to me with all the running up walls and jumping from poles and stuff.

#5 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

I'd say Soul Reaver is also pretty derivative of 3d Zelda, but I very much agree.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2691 posts) -

I've actually sorta been getting an Amalur vibe from the game (not the business stuff, just the gameplay). Not too fond of what they've done. With the introduction of all these new systems it has turned more into an action-RPG rather than an adventure game. What's really killing it for me is the endless chests with useless junk and boilerplate RPG side-quest stuff.

#7 Edited by eskimo (477 posts) -

I'm getting more of a zelda vibe in this game than the last, especially with Terminus Field there at the beginning.

But I totally agree, major Soul Reaviness present in this outing.

#8 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Soul Reaver basically was the original 3D "gritty ass Zelda that isn't Zelda".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.