New details for Darksiders 2.

#1 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

In a IGDA conference last week THQ's Danny bilson dropped some new information about the upcoming Darksiders 2. 

• Players won't get to play as War from the last game but instead will assume the rule of a new character.
  • The game's story will take place at the same time as the first game.
  • The game will have new gameplay mechanics and features .

He also mentioned that to this day Darksiders sold about 1.3 million copies and actually took THQ by surprise but if the second game won't exceed the sales number of the first game then a third Darksiders game won't be very likely to happen. 
#2 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1837 posts) -

Awesome, man. Thanks for the info. Admittedly I will miss playing as War but this was the most likely route for a sequel. Looking forward to this a lot, though. It's nice to hear that it's about 25% longer than the first, which already had a good length to it. I hope it does well so we can see another game and have the story conclude.

#3 Posted by Joelteon7 (101 posts) -

I was disappointed to read that the game will be taking place simultaneously. Considering the ending of the first game, which was suitably epic, I doubt I was the only one hoping for a continuation of that. And, I ask, who we will play as because the other three horsemen seems slightly difficult, again, based on 1's ending. 

Everything else is good to hear. Glad to hear it did so well sales wise though!

#4 Posted by RavenX302 (266 posts) -

So it is not picking up from where it left off?

Seriously way less interested in this sequel now. 

#5 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Damn, I was really looking forward to all of the Horsemen appearing. Still, Darksiders is my GOTY, I think, so I have faith that DS2 will rock just as hard.

#6 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

Awesome news, I loved the first one. 
#7 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

Phoenix Down 

I did not pick the news that we wouldn't be playing as War. I don't really care, even though I liked War. All four horsemen are probably badass anyways. I hope the game sells well because I want this to develop into a franchise.

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I rented the first one and enjoyed it enough to convince me that I owe them some money, so chances are very, very high that I'll be buying the sequel.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I hope the new character is death that would be aswome. 

#10 Posted by yinstarrunner (1243 posts) -

I love Darksiders, but I'm really disappointed that we won't be playing as War and it won't be a continuation of the story from the first game.

#11 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

This news has been floating around for a little while. You can check out the other horseman here:  
Death 
Strife 
Fury 
 My money is on Death. 

#12 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

My money and hopes are on Strife. Good to hear that they are coming back, regardless, though!

#13 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@yinstarrunner said:
" I love Darksiders, but I'm really disappointed that we won't be playing as War and it won't be a continuation of the story from the first game. "
Same here, that ending made me so pumped for a sequel.
#14 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -
@Malakhii said:
" This news has been floating around for a little while. You can check out the other horseman here:  
Death 
Strife 
Fury  My money is on Death.  "
Whoa, I did not know Fury was a chick. My vote goes to her! We need more badass chicks in games.
#15 Posted by Seram (192 posts) -

I would assume, since they seem to be planning a third game as well, that the third game will pick off where the first game left off.

#16 Posted by Sjosz (486 posts) -

I'm sure that Darksiders 2 will sell more if they actually market their game this time. I know I'll be getting it, Darksiders is a game I very much enjoyed playing.

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

I'm curious about how they are going to pull off the co-op mode for the game.  I mean, will they allow all four Horsemen at once, or will they limit it to two at a time or something?  Nonetheless, fucking sweet.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Still playing Darksiders 1 but I'm freaking loving it.
If only for its fresh breath of quality and genre.
I've seen too many games that are the same last few years, and the ones that were different were often poorly produced or played like crap.

Co-op, please!

#19 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Still playing Darksiders 1 but I'm freaking loving it. If only for its fresh breath of quality and genre. I've seen too many games that are the same last few years, and the ones that were different were often poorly produced or played like crap.   Co-op, please! "
I so agree. Co-OP please.....
#20 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Yeah, I was hoping to play as one of the other Horsemen, but we'll see.

Also, no multiplayer, please! Not every game needs a goddamn multiplayer!

#21 Posted by EchoForge (154 posts) -

I never finished the game (couldn't quite stick one of the timing of one of the puzzles in the tower), but I enjoyed what I did play. Saw the ending online; bit of a bummer the game takes place simultaneously, but I suppose the story was wrapped up well enough in the one game anyway--are we supposed to have a second apocalypse?
#22 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

If it takes place at the same time then it wont be one of Wars brothers and as you wont be playing as war himself I'm a bit saddened. I really like War. 

Not sure i like what I'm hearing...still they've got a while to get it right the release date was what? 2013?

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

added to the comprehensive releases list

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.