Possessed Weapons are really common.

• 51 results
#1 Posted by D_W (1109 posts) -
That's 10 that I have in my inventory. I had two others but I feed them to my current weapons. 12 in all that I have or had. 10 came from drops and 2 I bought.  I've had two drop from the same object! hah. I'm not really complaining as they generally save me from really dealing with the loot system for the most part.  I thought these things were supposed to be super rare. Didn't they say in the QLEX that encountering more than 3 over the entire game would be nearly impossible? 

Has anyone else found possessed items to be rather common?
#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@D_W:

It's called RNG (random numbers generator aka luck). I've gotten 2 possessed loot drops, and bought one from Vulgrim. Being lvl 15. You're just lucky.

Also - if I'm not feeding my weapons lesser weapons to level them up and chose bonus stats in an upcoming WoW expansion, then Blizzard has truely lost their touch for stealing the best ideas out there for their own games.

#3 Posted by Vao (324 posts) -

Same here, had a lot of them drop. Funny enough friend said he had one drop in the first 6 hours

#4 Posted by Zella (688 posts) -

You seem to have just gotten lucky, I'm about the same level and I've seen 2 so far, one I bought and the other from a chest. I do love the concept of them though, feed them all the cheap gear I pick up.

#5 Posted by D_W (1109 posts) -

hrmm.. I've also been going off the main path and attempting dungeons that I have the equipment for but clearly meant to go there later. That's where I've found most of them. So maybe difficulty has something to do with it?

Only weapons can be possessed right? Not armor?

#6 Posted by cspanick (50 posts) -

I havent even finished the makers area yet and found like 5..so yea they r really common for me

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6255 posts) -

Judging from your level, you're not much farther than me, and I've only found three.

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11636 posts) -

When I was around that level, I had about 8 or so; also, why keep them, feed them to other weapons so they grow up big and strong.

@D_W said:

Only weapons can be possessed right? Not armor?

Seems that way to me.

#9 Posted by l3roken (112 posts) -

I am the same level and I haven't seen any...should send some my way :p

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10340 posts) -

I got a bunch really early, then nothing for about ten hours, then a bunch all at once.

Then I found a special item that makes all weapons I find possessed. But I stopped using it because it didn't confer any other stats and I think it only works on weapons dropped from enemies, and not chests.

#11 Posted by Zacagawea (1577 posts) -

From like the first 3 hours I found 3. Definitely not that rare.

#12 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

It seems beyond luck at that point where Jeff mentioned finding 3 over the course of the game I found about 30+ on the first walkthrough.

A lot of it is also down to being anal about searching for secrets and better loot chests, the higher quality loot chests a lot of which are hidden a bit in the environment have a higher chance for better quality random drops, so that factors in a lot into how much you are finding. And if I know players like Jeff they generally don't scour every nook and cranny. Likewise for a dev playing through the game, he was also probably rushing through, when the bulk of them is to be found outside the trodden path.

Also that's what Vulgrim (bless his sweet self serving ass) is there for, to remove the luck factor compeltely for people who aren't so lucky heh. Tokens are plentifull and easy to find to just buy a possessed weapon from him now and again.

#13 Posted by John1912 (1811 posts) -

I prob had 20 or so by the end of the game. Most I never used.

#14 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

Fun little aside on posessed weapon diet: I usually feed my previous posessed weapon to my new posessed weapon. Circle of life bitches. Hakuna-matata.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6290 posts) -

I got two before finishing the second dungeon. The whole time, I kept thinking about how Jeff said he only found 3 the whole game. Here I thought I was insanely lucky, hahaha.

Coming off of Diablo 3, though, it's nice to have a higher chance of getting great loot. I love D3, but there's nothing worse than an intense Elite or boss fight ending by showering you in useless whites and low-level blues.

#16 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

First chest I opened dropped one. I've gotten 2 or 3 otherwise on top of that. Also, PRO-TIP: Do not buy a box from Vulgrim if either your secondary or primary inventory is full. It'll just not show up if they are.

#17 Posted by Ktargo (100 posts) -

Wow, you guys got a lot of them... I'm level 22 or 23-ish (I honestly can't remember) about to start the 4th major area of the game and have only found 4 of them. I didn't get my first one until like level 8. I'm very thorough searching for secrets and chests too also doing all the side content, even doubling back to get chests in previous dungeons I didn't have the ability to get yet. I didn't even use them at first since I already had really good weapons at the time but I'm finally using one. I screwed up not realizing there was a limit to the number of stats it could have and didn't get one I wanted so I'm still using a so-so secondary weapon just for the stats. I'm playing on Apocalyptic so maybe that makes rare drops less frequent? I doubt it but it's a thought. I could just be incredibly unlucky.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (7907 posts) -

RNG is really random

#19 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

I've only found 1 and am about 12 hours in.

#20 Posted by kerse (2098 posts) -

You're a lucky bastard, I'm level 14 and I just found my second one.

#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Listen mayne....I doubt Jeff even looked into any chests that were out of the way. It's not because he didn't enjoy the game but because it's not his style to look into every nook and cranny. I'm not surprised he only found 3 if he didn't increase his odds.

Also it's a RNG so anything can happen.

#22 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Yeah, i thought they were supposed to be rare, i got my first possessed really early on, and i'm slightly under your level right now, i think i've found around 10 or so. They're not as good as you'd think though, seems there's a limit to how far you can upgrade them? Then you have to find another posessed weapon and feed it to that to pass on the stats. So i guess that makes it make a bit more sense as to how many you're finding.

#23 Posted by Linkster7 (1009 posts) -

I've found maybe 6 or 7 and I'm level 14.

Wait does that mean the RNG gods have forgiven me?! I'm going back to fire emblem!

#24 Posted by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

I'm 15 hours in, and I've only seen four, so I'd say that you've just been lucky

#25 Posted by D_W (1109 posts) -

Played a couple hours more and found another 2 or 3.
And yes, most of them are about as useful as white loot and they sell for about the same.

#26 Posted by BeachThunder (11636 posts) -

@Akrid said:

PRO-TIP: Do not buy a box from Vulgrim if either your secondary or primary inventory is full. It'll just not show up if they are.

I did that and it just dropped the weapon on the ground next to me...

#27 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

11-12 hours in and I got 2. Hell I played Diablo 3 for over 60 hours and never saw a legendary item...

#28 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Akrid said:

PRO-TIP: Do not buy a box from Vulgrim if either your secondary or primary inventory is full. It'll just not show up if they are.

I did that and it just dropped the weapon on the ground next to me...

Oh.

Well, it's gone now!

#29 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1829 posts) -

RNGs absolutely hate me. I'm the same level and haven't found a single one. I only have purples because I've purchased them.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2479 posts) -

This just in! RNG is - in fact - random! Well, not completely random, since a computer can't do random for real, but the closest we can get to it on an average machine.

#31 Posted by Olu (95 posts) -

Maybe you were wearing Demonblood talisman?

#32 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (406 posts) -

I've probably had about 10 or more in total but currently I only run with 2. 1 main, 1 heavy axe.

In the 1st dead tomb I had 3 drop off of the various chests and weapon racks. The rest were drops from bosses or mini-bosses. Weirdly in the 2nd dead tomb, no possessed weapons dropped.

It's definitely random but I'd say that if a possessed weapon isn't dropping at least once in every 5 levels, that probably out of the ordinary.

I wonder if the loot is any better on Apocalyptic difficulty or NG+? I usually wouldn't play through a game twice but if there's better loot involved....

#33 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@RenegadeDoppelganger:

In newgame+ loot levels go higher along with yours and you see quite a few new weapon models (some of which are really sick looking). So loot is technically better by sheer virtue of it being higher leveled. But the drop rates are pretty much the same.The enemies in the world are obviously more powerfull too. (you also need to be 25+ for the final Crucible tier unlock, which can only be done in newgame+)

Apocalyptic is just the overall difficulty setting, enemies are tougher in general, have more hp and do more dmg.

#34 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

i only find ones i dont want :(

i want a possessed scythe and axe, but i keep finding possessed bucklers, and the fast secondaries seem redundant to me since the scythes are fast enough and have way more utility combo-wise.

#35 Posted by UberExplodey (923 posts) -

I've been seeing some talk on boards about the Demonheart talisman increasing possessed weapon drops when equipped. So far I've came maybe 6 drops since I've used it. The item description confuses the hell of out me.

#36 Posted by Robo (770 posts) -

I'm only like level 8 but I only have one possessed item, and it's the axe I got from preordering on Steam. It kind of sucks too. It has ridiculous damage but nothing else (before you add stuff from leveling it up).

Wish I could put some rending on it. One of my other preorder axes has rending and has basically kept me alive through fights I shouldn't have even been able to do.

#37 Posted by KingofClassy (68 posts) -

I have had 3 in the course of the game and I bought one from Vulgrim that was a 400+ damage axe that I have used for nearly 8 hours.

#38 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@D_W said:

Played a couple hours more and found another 2 or 3. And yes, most of them are about as useful as white loot and they sell for about the same.

Seems to me somebody doesn't know about 'upgrading' possessed weapons. Go into the menu, select the possessed weapon, select 'upgrade', select trashloot, feed your trashloot to your possessed weapon, level it up, chose a new attribute each lvl-up (up to 5 lvl-ups) - end up with the weapon of your dreams. Hell - on consoles you can even name the weapon.

#39 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@Zacagawea: would you happen to know what the best armor is in that game

#40 Posted by GunstarRed (4996 posts) -

I've just gotten to the demon dungeon place and I've had 13 of them so far.

#41 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

God, I wish, I have seen two of them within the first 4 hours of the game and have not found any after that...I'm at the last Death Lord now.
I have tons of weapons ready to be sacrificed! Give me possessed items damnit!

#42 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Yeah, I've had like 20 on my first playthrough... it's good. You can upgrade and experiment. If we had gotten 3-4 like the devs were saying we would have been disappointed more.

#43 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Z3RO180: There is no "best" armor. Ther are different pieces and how to best combine them depends on what stats you are going after in your build. There is an Abyssal armor set but it can only be gotten on newgame+ fully, but i don't dig it's offense stats, defensively tho it makes you almost invulnerable from time to time.

@TaliciaDragonsong: That's what Vulgrim is there for, I used him as posessed weapon backup if they were running dry at a certain period.

#44 Posted by twigger89 (277 posts) -

I've played for about 2 hours, and I have already found 2. They don't seem to be the uber weapons the QLEX made them out to be, but that could be because I'm so early into the game.

#45 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@twigger89: They can become super strong if you fully upgrade them with the stats you want, the best weapons there are in fact, better then any epic or even unique legendary weapons.

#46 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

mmm i found 2 in like the first couple hours of playing and havne't seen one since and I'm probably 10+ hours now. The posessed ones weren't as good as other weapons even leveled all the way up so I just sold em.

#47 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@handlas: Possessed weapon fully leveled with decent stats will always be stronger then any other weapon of the same type and same item level.

#48 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I got two before finishing the second dungeon. The whole time, I kept thinking about how Jeff said he only found 3 the whole game. Here I thought I was insanely lucky, hahaha.

Coming off of Diablo 3, though, it's nice to have a higher chance of getting great loot. I love D3, but there's nothing worse than an intense Elite or boss fight ending by showering you in useless whites and low-level blues.

played more d3 after the latest patch, all my loot drops on inferno would be passed up even by a person on hell difficulty.

wish i had at least one drop that made me think about equipping at least.

#49 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@handlas: Possessed weapon fully leveled with decent stats will always be stronger then any other weapon of the same type and same item level.

In what way? The ones I had did less damage. I had a scythe and a hammer but I got ones later (they are green labeled I believe) that did way more damage so I just got rid of the Possessed ones. Unless I'm somehow mistaken but I'm quite sure they were weaker at least in the damage department and since dropping those 2 early Possessed weapons I got I haven't gotten any other ones.

The hammer I had was fully upgraded at the time. The scythe needed one more skull thing to be upgraded all the way but it didn't look like it was going to be stronger than what I had.

I literally got these very early in the game so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I assume it would have to otherwise I would be way overpowered. I tried to fight one of the side-quest bosses early on with these and could barely do any damage to him and he killed me in one hit...had to give up on him for now.

#50 Posted by ShaggE (6290 posts) -

@stinky said:

@ShaggE said:

played more d3 after the latest patch, all my loot drops on inferno would be passed up even by a person on hell difficulty.

wish i had at least one drop that made me think about equipping at least.

I've been having the opposite luck. It was raining so many yellows after 1.0.4, it was like a less-disgusting golden shower. Most of it was still junky, but I finally feel like I'm getting rewarded for my efforts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.