Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

Predictions on the progression of the series (Some spoilers)

stoydell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By stoydell

So, as we know from what has been revealed so far, Darksiders 2 is set to take place congruently with the events of the original, but from the perspective of Death, another Horseman of the Apocalypse. Now, since we know at the end of the first game that all of the Horsemen arrive at War's side, there is a chance that vigil may continue to make the sequels in ways like this, giving entire games devoted to playing as a single Horseman, with one game following all of them (the fifth game, presumably), where we continue from the conclusion of the first with multiple Horsemen playable (fingers crossed!)). I thought to myself for a second after working through this, "Would I really want to wait for 3 more games to come out before we truly pick up from where the first game left off?" And immediately I said to myself, "Yeah, sure." I don't know about everyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, flaws and all, and based off of the reveal trailer GameInformer has just unveiled (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/darksiders_ii/b/ps3/archive/2011/06/02/exclusive-darksiders-ii-reveal-trailer.aspx for anyone who hasn't seen it), it looks like Death's adventure will be twice as badass and awesome as the first game. So what do you think? Any ideas of how the series should move forward?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valrog

If they do it like you said (One game for each Rider), I have no problem with it. In fact, I would prefer they do that instead of breaking it in half and have more than one Horseman playable.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

the progression of the series is that this sequel is the last in the series, since they said it has to sell more than the first and i doubt it will. And this is coming from someone that thought the first was GOTY when it came out and loved every second of it

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By valrog
    @Rhaknar said:
    the progression of the series is that this sequel is the last in the series, since they said it has to sell more than the first and i doubt it will. And this is coming from someone that thought the first was GOTY when it came out and loved every second of it
    Why wouldn't it? The first one was an unexpected success, I don't see why this one wouldn't achieve their goal.
    CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CarpetRemnant

I think this one will be successful. The first was a sleeper hit, critically if not commercially, and I think the second will be hyped up the critics who liked the first. 

This talk of the second makes me want to play the first again.

stoydell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stoydell
    @Leakster: Same for me. After I finish a couple episodes of Deadwood and Mad Men, I'll be starting the game again.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Rhaknar said:
    Sequels to popular games generally sell more than their original counterparts. Presumably to do with the already large install base, and the good word of mouth. 

Buzz is pretty powerful. Darksiders did fantastically well as a new IP, so I'd imagine the sequel will do fairly well.
    DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrBendo

I just can't see that strategy working very well. I enjoyed the first game, but it was nothing groundbreaking. It was a bit better than some people expected it to be, and a fair dose of its praise stems from the low expectations. Furthermore, the formula just isn't strong enough for 3-4 more games. They would end up rushing the games and burning the audience out or pace the releases and let the formula become really stale. Planning several sequels based on one mildly successful entry is a little too ambitious.

I'll probably buy the sequel at some point, provided they improve the combat; however, I just don't see much long-term potential for the franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.