While the first Darksiders had the pieces of Abyssal armor as collectibles for people to find in nooks and cranies and secret areas. Darksiders 2 takes it to a whole new level. So much so that it's kind of too much, to a negative degree imo.
Lets see what we got:
- 40 tome of the dead pages
- 30 lost relics
- 69 stonebites
- 4 GnoMADs (gnomes)
Holy shit that is over 140 objects to find in the huge world and all it's dungeons. That's fucking nuts! But it's only the start of the BS:
- all these objects are tiny and about half of them are hidden in the environment, not necessarily in secret areas, but just behind rock or in places that are easily passed over, mobile in dungeons, in places you would rarely look, etc
- as far as I am aware (havign finished the game) there is no object like in the original Darksiders that helps you see every item in the world, that's just blue balling :(
- with the above 2 and their sheer number it's near on impossible for one person to find everything, it's ridiculous
- all 30 of the Lost Relics are needed to unlock one of the Abyssal armor pieces
- all 40 Tome Pages are needed to unlock all 4 Death vaults, required for achievement and also the last one holds another Abyssal Armor piece
It's bumming me out. I finished the game and already went through the entire game for the second time trying to clean up anything unfound (using also a partial guide here, but it has pieces missing that i found extra and is not compete anyway). It's takes a long ass time to track through all the dungeons again i can tell you that. And at the end of it all , i'm still missing 2 pages, 4 relics, and a whole boatload of stonebites.
Hell even when people pool together their resources in a few weeks and discover all the collectible locations, even then following some guide the chances of missing some items is still pretty high
Yes yes, i'm a completionist bla bla bla.
But the point remains that it's a bit frustrating, imo they took it too far in this game. Especially with how tiny and missable all that shit is, how much of it there is, how big the world, having no item that reveals their locations, and also having some be required for other features (i'm mainly talking about the Abyssal armor).
I'd even settle for an item like in the first Darksiders that shows the locations at least.
Just. Fuck man. Cmon.
I guess this was a rant.