So the collectibles are kind of insane...

#1 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

While the first Darksiders had the pieces of Abyssal armor as collectibles for people to find in nooks and cranies and secret areas. Darksiders 2 takes it to a whole new level. So much so that it's kind of too much, to a negative degree imo.

Lets see what we got:

• 40 tome of the dead pages
  • 30 lost relics
  • 69 stonebites
  • 4 GnoMADs (gnomes)

Holy shit that is over 140 objects to find in the huge world and all it's dungeons. That's fucking nuts! But it's only the start of the BS:

• all these objects are tiny and about half of them are hidden in the environment, not necessarily in secret areas, but just behind rock or in places that are easily passed over, mobile in dungeons, in places you would rarely look, etc
  • as far as I am aware (havign finished the game) there is no object like in the original Darksiders that helps you see every item in the world, that's just blue balling :(
  • with the above 2 and their sheer number it's near on impossible for one person to find everything, it's ridiculous
  • all 30 of the Lost Relics are needed to unlock one of the Abyssal armor pieces
  • all 40 Tome Pages are needed to unlock all 4 Death vaults, required for achievement and also the last one holds another Abyssal Armor piece

It's bumming me out. I finished the game and already went through the entire game for the second time trying to clean up anything unfound (using also a partial guide here, but it has pieces missing that i found extra and is not compete anyway). It's takes a long ass time to track through all the dungeons again i can tell you that. And at the end of it all , i'm still missing 2 pages, 4 relics, and a whole boatload of stonebites.

Hell even when people pool together their resources in a few weeks and discover all the collectible locations, even then following some guide the chances of missing some items is still pretty high

Yes yes, i'm a completionist bla bla bla.

But the point remains that it's a bit frustrating, imo they took it too far in this game. Especially with how tiny and missable all that shit is, how much of it there is, how big the world, having no item that reveals their locations, and also having some be required for other features (i'm mainly talking about the Abyssal armor).

I'd even settle for an item like in the first Darksiders that shows the locations at least.

Just. Fuck man. Cmon.

><

I guess this was a rant.

#2 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Hey without spoiling anything, is it possible to collect everything after you beat the game or is there no running around after the end? Also do the collectibles reset in New Game plus?

#3 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Vinny_Says: After beating the game you get a prompt to either get dumped back before the point of no return or to start a newgame+. It's very nice that way.

Don't know about how newgame+ works with collectibles yet. I'm trying to cleanup first before moving on.

#4 Posted by stryker1121 (1323 posts) -

Yikes, an OCD gamer's nightmare. I'm someone who likes to wander in open world games but I'm not a fan of huge lists of collectibles like this. Talk about padding..out of curiosity, OP, how long did your first run-through take?

#5 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@stryker1121: Hard to say, the ingame time was about 24-28 something hours as shown on the save. But i know it was more then that because i was thorough with everything and not rushing, so it might not be counting time spent in menus or in dialogue,. Steam time is not updating properly.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2556 posts) -

Hmm, in the first one you could eventually get an item that revealed all the secrets and collectibles. Seems strange for them to move away from that. Although I haven't played the game yet (fuck EU release dates) I would guess there's some piece of armor or weapon or something you can find that will do the same.

#7 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Ares42: If there is no one has found it yet to my knolwedge. There is a Hoardseeker amulet you can find , but it does not reveal anything kust increases drop % chance of good gear from enemies.

#8 Posted by stryker1121 (1323 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: How did you like the game overall? Don't need a whole synopsis, but i'd be interested to hear a little about the combat and loot system, probably the two biggest reasons i'd pick this one up.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

If I can collect 440 Riddler Trophies, I can do this. I believe in myself and I believe in all of you to do it as well.

#10 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@stryker1121: Combat and loot are great, especially making your own posessed weapons. But it definately tends to drag from time to time i got a bit tired of the puzzles and had to take a break, kind of whish there was a bit more combat and a bit less puzzles overall. But still enjoyed it a lot, will do a newgame+ soon. Death is great as a character, the contrast of his poersonality compared to War makes both of them seem better defined.

#11 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre:

Riddler trophies were a piece of cake compared to this.

They all got revealed by interrogating his cronies and also shone like lightbulbs in a dark city.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@MariachiMacabre:

Riddler trophies were a piece of cake compared to this.

They all got revealed by interrogating his cronies and also shone like lightbulbs in a dark city.

True but I'm still having an easier time with these ones so far.

#13 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Nothing will ever be as bad as inFamous 1's shards. I'm still missing 2 of them and I've pinged all three damn islands.

My tolerance for collectibles is directly linked to my enjoyment of a game's universe. Darksiders 2 is a game I'd have no problem scouring for this kind of stuff, I really want to drink in all the nooks and crannies anyway.

#14 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: The problem is when you get to the end and still have a bunch missing. I found a ton during the normal playthrough too, the frustrating part is to try finding all of them when you are issing just a few in a huge world and no way of knowing where to look for them even and no system to help you find them either.

@Zippedbinders: I collected all the Infamous 1 shards, was way easier, you had radar for them.

#15 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

That's really not that much, compared to a lot of games.

#16 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

You should play Just Cause 2.

#17 Posted by Heltom92 (698 posts) -

@Zippedbinders said:

Nothing will ever be as bad as inFamous 1's shards. I'm still missing 2 of them and I've pinged all three damn islands.

My tolerance for collectibles is directly linked to my enjoyment of a game's universe. Darksiders 2 is a game I'd have no problem scouring for this kind of stuff, I really want to drink in all the nooks and crannies anyway.

Oh man I know your pain. I got all but one of the shards in Infamous 1 and then couldn't find the last one. So I got a map of all of their locations and went around crossing them off one by one until I finally found the last shard.

All for a fucking trophy that doesn't even exist.

#18 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@MariachiMacabre: The problem is when you get to the end and still have a bunch missing. I found a ton during the normal playthrough too, the frustrating part is to try finding all of them when you are issing just a few in a huge world and no way of knowing where to look for them even and no system to help you find them either.

@Zippedbinders: I collected all the Infamous 1 shards, was way easier, you had radar for them.

You might be misremembering the usefulness of the radar, because I've swept the islands several times trying to find the shards, which could literally be anywhere. The way most things are placed in Darksiders 2, so far at least, is rather predictable. Pages are underwater or behind gates, the stones are pretty much always up and behind you, they also glow pretty noticeably against the palette of the game's areas.

That said, its still an uphill battle. If there isn't a helper item in the game, maybe they'll go the Brutal Legend route and release something as a bit of DLC. I'm already loving this game enough to buy any little extra bits like that.

#19 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Zippedbinders: Yea a bunch of these collectibles are quite easy to find and predictable, the problem is the rest of them you aren't finding.

I'm hoping for a finder item in newgame+ maybe? Because there are still 2 unsused ability slots for Death at the end of the game.

#20 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@believer258 said:

You should play Just Cause 2.

I did, finished the story and said fuck it. The was no point to 100% anything in that game. So it was easy to ignore all that stuff.

I guess I would not have cared as much about the collectibles in Darksiders 2 either if they did not tie them to pieces of Abyssal armor set.

#21 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

I'll be honest: I've beaten the game already, and I'm in New Game +. And I still had absolutely NO idea what stonebites and GnoMAD's were, or that I was supposed to find them.

#22 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

As much as I loved Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (and I really loved it), it wasn't without its faults. It's collectables were a fucking nightmare.

-They were transparent and too similar to the background pallet

-They were REALLY hidden, I swear some of them felt like I had to clip through geometry.

-Some levels had branching paths or one way doors, so you couldn't get them all in one go.

-They were also in on rails sections which only happeen at the end of levels, so if you missed one and hit the cut scene at the end you had to do the ENTIRE chapter again

-But by far the worst is that when you die, you have to collect them again. That may not sound that bad, but just combine that sentence with the ones above.

Oh yeah, and there was nearly 700 of them.

#23 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@jonnyboy: Ouch.

Yea i think something like Arkham City is just at my limit. Darksiders 2 is just a little bit over that personal limit. In terms of how hard this stuff is to find and how important to the game itself.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

This is what my podcast RSS feed is for. Throw on a podcast and start the mundane search. I survived all the assassins creed 2 and brotherhood collectibles that way along with 100% the saboteur. If you have played saboteur you know that there were over 500 Nazi related things you had to blow up in the world.

#25 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I did Ass Creed stuff, but gave up on Saboteur once i realised how much shit there was after clearing two of the areas, and didn't see a point in doing more :P

Also already went through 3 podcasts while doing a second pass of the world :D

#26 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I guess THQ had Rare come in to help extend the longevity of the game.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -
@Tennmuerti Yeah, I have the Saboteur Platnium. Not sure if I should be proud of that or not. I burned through all the holiday 2009 GOTY podcasts. Arguably the best GOTY podcasts they've done.
#28 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

Thank fuck!

I finally found some full guides for the Tomes and the Relics.

Now the only problem is remembering which 38/40 and 27/30 i already collected :/

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -
@Tennmuerti Linkage? Im sure I'll need them in the future.
#31 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Zzzzzzz, those text guides for Relics are fucked, they have really shitty instructions some of which are even wrong in their directions.

#32 Posted by stryker1121 (1323 posts) -

@jonnyboy: I played Enslaved and am completely blanking on the collectibles. What were they? There were those masks but what the hell else was there to collect?

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@jonnyboy: I played Enslaved and am completely blanking on the collectibles. What were they? There were those masks but what the hell else was there to collect?

There were the masks which there were only a few of but then there were the orbs which there were hundreds of.

#34 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

The little Transparent red orbs. They were positioned all over the levels, not to be confused with the other little red orbs that burst out of an enemy when you kill them, those were a completely different set of transparent red orbs.

The achievement was called Tech Collector. I think they were called Tech orbs.

#35 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

Well I managed to complete the tomes and the relics to get the 2 pieces of Abyssal armor, said "fuck it" for the rest of stonebites and moved on to newgame+ on Abyssal difficulty.

#36 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Challenge accepted.

#37 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

Kind of wish they would make some of the loot glow that isn't glowing. Because it is VERY easy to miss stuff sometimes.

#38 Posted by ShaggE (6292 posts) -

I'm only on the second dungeon, and I'm already about to slap the guy who came up with the stonebites.

#39 Posted by Deathpooky (1367 posts) -

Ugh, the stonebites. They have me compulsively scanning each room's walls and ceilings, and even then I'm sure I'm missing a ton. I also ended up wasting a bunch trying to find a trade in combo that was good for my build - I wish they had given you a preview function so you could know what you were getting before you traded them.

The others aren't as bad and provide some useful things as you collect, but the fact that you need to collect all of them to get the big bonuses kind of ruins them. Locking some of the best items behind two collectathons that almost no-one will finish is just annoying.

#40 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -
#41 Edited by Origommi (1 posts) -

Hey guys theres an easy way, while running through they make the distinct noise that if ur headphones are one or your stereo is loud they will be noticeable and the scan will be twice as easy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.