Survival Arena and New Game + detailed

#1 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

http://www.darksiders.com/blog-post/introducing-darksiders-ii-arena-mode-and-new-game-functionality

Today I would like to officially announce two additions within Darksiders II that will round off our new announcements. Let me introduce you to our Arena Survival Mode along with our New Game+ functionality.
The game features a combat arena which will provide the ultimate challenge for Darksiders II players. After completing five of the mode’s 100 unique waves, gamers will be given the option of taking a prize or continuing for another five waves for a chance at even better items. However, if they fall in combat they will leave with nothing. Only the most skilled players will have what it takes to best all 100 waves and claim the greatest prizes.
In addition to this mode, Darksiders II will feature a New Game+ mode which will allow players to carry over their Death for a new game retaining all of their skills and equipment.
Jim Huntley, Vice President of Global Brand Marketing commented: “The Arena Challenge Mode and the New Game+ function are the perfect way to continue building the ultimate Death even after finishing the main game. This upgraded and customized character can then be carried over into the upcoming DLC campaign missions.”

This sounds incredible. Risking your rewards for better loot sounds like it could be addictive.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

Yay! New Game Plus!

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Good news, everyone!

I was so bummed when I learned the first Darksiders lacked this mode. Finally, a proper NG+!

#4 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Oh man, I just know I'm going to spend an absurd amount of time trying to clear that combat arena.

#5 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Man, I can't wait for this game.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

God yes. The next 8 days are going to be hellish.

#7 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

So, "Survive 100 Waves in the Arena" and "Complete the game on New Game+" Achievements confirmed? :P

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Can't wait to play it.

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

JUST TAKE MY GODDAMN MONEY ALREADY!

Seriously, the fact that they took an already fantastic game and literally dumped a TON of extra shit into it just psyches me the fuck up! I literally CANNOT wait for this game. I'm expecting Game of the Year at this point. The list of features in this game, the changes that have been made, and even the flow of combat that I've seen in gameplay just looks infinitely better than what was already in the first one.

Survival Arena and NG+ are just icing on this already incredibly large and elaborately decorating cake. If this game doesn't sell well, I will be genuinely pissed at gamers.

#10 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

So, "Survive 100 Waves in the Arena" and "Complete the game on New Game+" Achievements confirmed? :P

It looks like it. I love and hate that idea.

#11 Posted by Heltom92 (715 posts) -

Sounds really cool, just got done replaying the first game again to get prepared for 2. Forgot how good it was!

#12 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

I hope there´s enough loot to make NG+ worth the time you´ll spend playing the game again.

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

Not a fan of survival modes, but thankfully, it seems like it's an optional thing this time around D:

#14 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

@Barrock said:

http://www.darksiders.com/blog-post/introducing-darksiders-ii-arena-mode-and-new-game-functionality

Today I would like to officially announce two additions within Darksiders II that will round off our new announcements. Let me introduce you to our Arena Survival Mode along with our New Game+ functionality.
The game features a combat arena which will provide the ultimate challenge for Darksiders II players. After completing five of the mode’s 100 unique waves, gamers will be given the option of taking a prize or continuing for another five waves for a chance at even better items. However, if they fall in combat they will leave with nothing. Only the most skilled players will have what it takes to best all 100 waves and claim the greatest prizes.
In addition to this mode, Darksiders II will feature a New Game+ mode which will allow players to carry over their Death for a new game retaining all of their skills and equipment.
Jim Huntley, Vice President of Global Brand Marketing commented: “The Arena Challenge Mode and the New Game+ function are the perfect way to continue building the ultimate Death even after finishing the main game. This upgraded and customized character can then be carried over into the upcoming DLC campaign missions.”

This sounds incredible. Risking your rewards for better loot sounds like it could be addictive.

Funny how they took another inspiration from Zelda with Skyward Sword's Boss Challenge that works the same way :D

Anyway, not being negative. I'm totally hyped for Darksiders II.

#15 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

Awesome :D.

#16 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Does this mean that there will be a lot of items in the game? Darksiders didn't really have that many items, but everything I've read about the sequel would make no sense if they're not adding a ton of items.

#17 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

@jakob187: They did take my money already!

#18 Posted by wemibelec90 (1837 posts) -

@valrog: The game has an entire loot system now. Go and watch the Quick Look EX if you want to see how it works.

#19 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

I just finished the original Darksiders a few days ago in anticipation of this game. The quick look EX got me completely hyped for Darksiders II and I wanted to be filled in on the story ... which was quite good in my opinion. One of the best games I've played. I cannot wait!

#20 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

I thought it said darkness 2. Whoops. Bye guys

#21 Posted by BBQBram (2294 posts) -

Maybe I should play Darksiders finally...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.